Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight Upgrade - best bang for the buck

Old 10-31-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but i still haven't read a thread that has sold me on a solution.

I need to upgrade my crappy stock headlights and want the best upgrade for the money. I am looking for a significant improvement in lighting. Please post your votes and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Mo
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no doubt right now, Trucklite LED's. super efficient, crisp light and look awesome! but very pricey. your looking at around 200-250 per light to best of my knowledge. they are on my mod list at some point down the road!

i would stay away from HIDs, i hate the colour they give ( the blue/purple ) and they aren't DOT approved in our headlight housing. they are sometimes very dangerous to oncoming traffic as well. they need to be in a proper projector light housing to be DOT approved for highway use.

or just get a set of PIAA replacement bulbs. i have them, nice improvement over stock. saving my pennys for LEDs though!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I replaced my stock flickering wick headlights with H4 80/100 watt lights that can't be equaled for price and value.
Check the internet, I bought mine with a wiring harness that included 2 relays and the perfect canbus connections.
Very happy with the lights, your Rubicon may require your lights to be adjusted for height and spread, mine did and it's great.
These are definitely illegal for road traffic in California.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

How much do you want to spend? You pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to lights. I went with the IPF h4 conversion, and for the cost, they are definitely a big improvement over stock
Old 11-01-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said best bang for the buck, so Sylvania Silver Star Ultra High Performance Halogen replacement bulbs. $35 bucks shipped on Amazon.

10 minute install, much brighter and a non-yellow light. I considered the full replacement options, but figured I'd try the $35 option and I'm glad I did. They are worth the money and now I see no need to spend hundreds of dollars on headlights.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HogHoden
You said best bang for the buck, so Sylvania Silver Star Ultra High Performance Halogen replacement bulbs. $35 bucks shipped on Amazon.

10 minute install, much brighter and a non-yellow light. I considered the full replacement options, but figured I'd try the $35 option and I'm glad I did. They are worth the money and now I see no need to spend hundreds of dollars on headlights.
X2. Had mine for several years now.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Former Member

Im a big fan of the Truck-lites quite a few here run them and love them. Ive had H4 upgrades in almost every Jeep Ive had and liked them over stock as well.

Also, a little birdy told me we are going to have a blowout sale on the old style Truck-Lite LED's. Just a teaser for now, but it will be a week or two before I can make an official release stay tuned to the Sponsors forum.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by courtsm3
no doubt right now, Trucklite LED's. super efficient, crisp light and look awesome! but very pricey. your looking at around 200-250 per light to best of my knowledge. they are on my mod list at some point down the road!

i would stay away from HIDs, i hate the colour they give ( the blue/purple ) and they aren't DOT approved in our headlight housing. they are sometimes very dangerous to oncoming traffic as well. they need to be in a proper projector light housing to be DOT approved for highway use.

or just get a set of PIAA replacement bulbs. i have them, nice improvement over stock. saving my pennys for LEDs though!

I wouldn't mark HIDs off the I save money buying these list. They offer an amazing amount of light output for the money. You can get almost 5 sets of Hids online versus one trucklight LED housing. Yeah our housings arent designed for the HID bulb, but they are effective, cheap, and bright When aimed right and the right Kelvin rating, it works. Stray light to oncoming customers is always a problem, if incorrectly aimed. I dont doubt the trucklights, but from what ive seen, I wasnt very impressed. No, I havent seen them in person. I couldnt give an honest opinion. I would be willing to say that the current trucklight LED housing wouldn't outdo a proper retrofit setup for roughly the same price. Not an argument by any means and as I grow older the color of hids do seem to become less appealing. You cant argue with the price and output of the HID though. To each his own tho.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Sylvana SilverStar H13 bulbs in my '11. $40 at Pep Boys for the pair. I was going to go with their "gold package" but for like $60 I chose the $40 pair. I like them a lot and they provide me with better light.

Now only if I could find an upgrade to the stock fog light bulb to get rid of the contrast. (Bright white headlight and stock/yellow fog light)...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepersLife
I have the Sylvana SilverStar H13 bulbs in my '11. $40 at Pep Boys for the pair. I was going to go with their "gold package" but for like $60 I chose the $40 pair. I like them a lot and they provide me with better light.

Now only if I could find an upgrade to the stock fog light bulb to get rid of the contrast. (Bright white headlight and stock/yellow fog light)...
I went with the SIlverstar Ultras (gold package) H13 and they match perfectly to my Putco fog bulbs that I previously put in. Now both lights have the same white color. And they match my PIAA lights on my light bar. Put all 6 on and it is a bright white light party.

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrade - best bang for the buck