Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight Upgrade - best bang for the buck

Old 12-20-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PrayingMantits
I love my TruckLites! Installed last week. If it helps, the cheapest I found online was $430 shipped with harnesses from offroadelements . com - Shipped fast & Love the product!!

Phil
^ I wish I waited for that price! Great deal
Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

What happens to the headlight levelling system when you install the trucklites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I'm running the newer TL and couldn't be happier. They have a nice clean light output with a crisp cut-off so they don't bother oncoming drivers. I went from stock to upgraded silverstars then to HID 5000k and now to TL and these by far have been the best performing light for me regardless of the conditions. HID were the worst IMO because they give off too much glare for oncoming motorists and in the snow and rain they were useless. Some people put up a fuss about the TL flickering, for me it's barely an issue worth mentioning but in all fairness it is there.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wiretap_MD
What happens to the headlight levelling system when you install the trucklites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your jeep has an auto leveling system?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MFX
I'm running the newer TL and couldn't be happier. They have a nice clean light output with a crisp cut-off so they don't bother oncoming drivers. I went from stock to upgraded silverstars then to HID 5000k and now to TL and these by far have been the best performing light for me regardless of the conditions. HID were the worst IMO because they give off too much glare for oncoming motorists and in the snow and rain they were useless. Some people put up a fuss about the TL flickering, for me it's barely an issue worth mentioning but in all fairness it is there.
Yeah, what he said...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has anybody noticed that the light pattern on the ground in front of the jeep looks "banded" (areas of light and dark) with the truck-lites?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by raidue
Ya I hear ya there. Rebels Hellfires do look pretty good and they are roughly 1/2 the price. Maybe someone could chime in that is running a set. I have never seen a set in person.
I bought the Hellfire kit in february, so I guess I'll chime in a bit, lol. Well, after install/initial turn on.. Jesus.. I couldn't believe the amount of light it put out.. It practically lit up my entire street. After massively adjusting/realigning the aim on the bulbs, I was good to go. Of course, I waited a month before adjusting them.. Before I did, I got flashed all the time.. Now, it never happens.. Except from those that just hate HID's I guess. Can't please everyone.

Now, as for whether or not I believe the Hellfire kit was worth it?... Absolutely not. It's a garbage kit. I recently had a bulb go out on me, and shortly after that, while driving down the highway, my headlights turned completely off(these two incidents were unrelated). I slapped on my KC's and got home, looked under the hood, and upon inspecting the relay harness.. Saw that two of the pins had burned themselves out. I imagine it's because the harness isn't waterproof, and there was signs of corrosion you'd expect from that. So I called Rebel, and they did offer to replace it.. But as my Jeep is currently my DD for the next couple months, I couldn't afford to rip everything out and "wait" to have headlights again.. So I just stopped by the same place I got my motorcycle headlights upgraded at, called DDM Tuning, and they had everything I needed to fix the situation, and for MUCH(MUCH!) cheaper than what I bought the Hellfire kit for. The bulbs are just as bright(I initially installed just one of the 2 bulbs I got, and they looked identical to me, lightwise), the harnesses are interchangeable, as are the ballasts. And, best part, was their comparable HID kit(had I bought it from them) would have only cost me about 100 bucks, instead of the 260 for the Hellfires. As it was, just buying the bulbs(which includes a free relay harness lol) cost me about 35 bucks if I remember correctly. Oh, and I can't forget that as far as I can tell, the DDM Tuning harness is waterproof, or at least a whole lot more resistant to water/corrosion/etc, than the Hellfire harness. So I don't imagine I will be having that kind of failure again. Had I been driving in the mountains, that kinda thing could have killed me.

HIDs are an awesome choice for alternative lighting. I've seen TruckLites, and I can tell you I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for something I could get for 100 bucks locally. That is an outrageous premium.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, I have not seen any flickering with the Hellfire HID kit or DDM Tuning's HID kit. I can't recall with the TruckLights, so I can't really chime in there. /shrug

Last edited by KCCO JK; 01-03-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoCalGSXR

I bought the Hellfire kit in february, so I guess I'll chime in a bit, lol. Well, after install/initial turn on.. Jesus.. I couldn't believe the amount of light it put out.. It practically lit up my entire street. After massively adjusting/realigning the aim on the bulbs, I was good to go. Of course, I waited a month before adjusting them.. Before I did, I got flashed all the time.. Now, it never happens.. Except from those that just hate HID's I guess. Can't please everyone.

Now, as for whether or not I believe the Hellfire kit was worth it?... Absolutely not. It's a garbage kit. I recently had a bulb go out on me, and shortly after that, while driving down the highway, my headlights turned completely off(these two incidents were unrelated). I slapped on my KC's and got home, looked under the hood, and upon inspecting the relay harness.. Saw that two of the pins had burned themselves out. I imagine it's because the harness isn't waterproof, and there was signs of corrosion you'd expect from that. So I called Rebel, and they did offer to replace it.. But as my Jeep is currently my DD for the next couple months, I couldn't afford to rip everything out and "wait" to have headlights again.. So I just stopped by the same place I got my motorcycle headlights upgraded at, called DDM Tuning, and they had everything I needed to fix the situation, and for MUCH(MUCH!) cheaper than what I bought the Hellfire kit for. The bulbs are just as bright(I initially installed just one of the 2 bulbs I got, and they looked identical to me, lightwise), the harnesses are interchangeable, as are the ballasts. And, best part, was their comparable HID kit(had I bought it from them) would have only cost me about 100 bucks, instead of the 260 for the Hellfires. As it was, just buying the bulbs(which includes a free relay harness lol) cost me about 35 bucks if I remember correctly. Oh, and I can't forget that as far as I can tell, the DDM Tuning harness is waterproof, or at least a whole lot more resistant to water/corrosion/etc, than the Hellfire harness. So I don't imagine I will be having that kind of failure again. Had I been driving in the mountains, that kinda thing could have killed me.

HIDs are an awesome choice for alternative lighting. I've seen TruckLites, and I can tell you I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for something I could get for 100 bucks locally. That is an outrageous premium.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, I have not seen any flickering with the Hellfire HID kit or DDM Tuning's HID kit. I can't recall with the TruckLights, so I can't really chime in there. /shrug
You running 55w or 35w?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cowboy5150
Has anybody noticed that the light pattern on the ground in front of the jeep looks "banded" (areas of light and dark) with the truck-lites?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
i notice this as well, i was wondering if i adjusted them wrong or something but i did use the diy on here to do it
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Delta h13 to h4 conversion plugs and some sylvania silverstars h6024s. Not a ton more light but the pattern is so much better. Total cost was like 65.00

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrade - best bang for the buck