Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Infinity Sound System (factory installed) need answers

Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity Sound System (factory installed) need answers

I have an '11 Rubi with the factory infinity system. I've read several threads but haven't found any answers to the following questions;
1. Is the Nitro AMP swap the way to go to eliminate the signal limitations to the rear speakers or is there another option?
2. Will making the AMP swap increase power/volume to the sub?
3. Does bridging the wires in the rear of the cargo area work to increase sound volume?
4. Not getting rid of the factory MyGig at this time, can/do I need to replace speakers to get better sound quality?

I'm used to the BOSE system that was in my truck and know that i won't get that from the jeep without some big $$$$ but there has to be something I can do. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I have an '11 Rubi with the factory infinity system. I've read several threads but haven't found any answers to the following questions;
1. Is the Nitro AMP swap the way to go to eliminate the signal limitations to the rear speakers or is there another option?
- Yes, the Nitro amp is really the 2008 JK amp. Infinity and Chrysler changed the settings in the 2008 JK amp, to push the system harder overall. There was a problem found where digital distortion happened at lower volume settings and Chrysler decided to go back to the previous JK amp settings.
- There's more power overall.
3. Does bridging the wires in the rear of the cargo area work to increase sound volume?
-No. That's a good way to damage the amp and it doesn't give you any benefit with the OEM Infinity amp.
4. Not getting rid of the factory MyGig at this time, can/do I need to replace speakers to get better sound quality?
- The thing is that the settings within the Infinity amp are set according to the Infinity OEM speaker's response. You change the speakers, and you change the intended sound quality since the speaker resistance, sensitivity, spectral response will all be different. So will it be "better" sounding? Maybe.....There's also a good chance it will sound worse since the settings in the amp will no longer match the new speakers.

I'm used to the BOSE system that was in my truck and know that i won't get that from the jeep without some big $$$$ but there has to be something I can do. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Rednroll;2152415]I have an '11 Rubi with the factory infinity system. I've read several threads but haven't found any answers to the following questions;
- Yes, the Nitro amp is really the 2008 JK amp. Infinity and Chrysler changed the settings in the 2008 JK amp, to push the system harder overall. There was a problem found where digital distortion happened at lower volume settings and Chrysler decided to go back to the previous JK amp settings.
- There's more power overall.
-No. That's a good way to damage the amp and it doesn't give you any benefit with the OEM Infinity amp.
- The thing is that the settings within the Infinity amp are set according to the Infinity OEM speaker's response. You change the speakers, and you change the intended sound quality since the speaker resistance, sensitivity, spectral response will all be different. So will it be "better" sounding? Maybe.....There's also a good chance it will sound worse since the settings in the amp will no longer match the new speakers.

Let me make sure I understand, Go with the Nitro AMP, don't bridge and don't change the speakers. If i still don't like the sound quality then I need to change to an aftermarket amp and different speakers?

Last edited by JB_Collins72; 03-10-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'07 JK here...i bought the 2008 nitro amp and swapped out the rear speakers w/ polk bd's. Waaaayy better sound + its full range!

not sure if Chrysler made the sound bar solid or not...mine was hollow almost the whole way though. i used the blue insulation spray foam can (doesnt expand as much) let it dry and put a little bit of poly-fill and sounds great back there.

another option would be to use a polk amp amp and redo the whole thing. there are posts on here about that. the amp fits perfectly inside the drivers knee panel where the current amp sits. a lot of work in my opinion.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Is the Kicker upgrade beneficial if you are already running the Infiniti system?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_Collins72

Let me make sure I understand, Go with the Nitro AMP, don't bridge and don't change the speakers. If i still don't like the sound quality then I need to change to an aftermarket amp and different speakers?
It's probably a good idea to try it in steps.
Step1: Change to the Nitro amp....see how you like it. Be forewarned you may run into some static noise depending on your Bass control settings and the level of the music you are playing back.

Step2: Change the speakers....see how you like it. Before I replaced my entire system, I swapped out the speakers. It sounded "louder", but overall was really bright. Most likely because the settings in the amp was trying to compensate for high frequencies that the stock speakers had trouble reproducing. So did it sound "better"? Well...that's debateable. Some people feel "louder=better" and it was definitely louder, but would also rip your ears off from having too much treble.

Step3: Replace the amp.

What sounds "good" is such a debateable argument. What might sound good to you may sound like crap for the next guy. So that's why it's always a good idea to do things in steps. That way you're reducing the costs to see what sounds good enough for you as you go. If you buy everything at once, you may find it sounds like crap to your ears and then you're stuck with a bunch of parts you don't want.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd get new speakers 1st then decide if you like the sound or not. You can always grab the nitro amp or an after market amp and rewire the whole thing. FYI I still don't think stock setup has full range on the soundbar.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Guess I'll give the Kickers a try.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool

People say that your speakers are only as good as the amp that's pushing them, and in most cases I would say they're right. Uninstall one of your stock speakers and you'll see a speaker that's inferior to even the cheapest aftermarket 6.5 I've seen since the seventies. Purchase a set or 2 of kickers and your sound will be better. Purchase an aftermarket amplifier and even better, and so on, and so on. Know one thing first off, it's a Jeep not an suv or car. Sound bounces all over the place because of the tub and windows. You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars trying to achieve that perfect sound, maybe it'll happen, maybe not! Go topless and alls to the wind. What I've found is if you purchase and install a good amp, get good speakers and go from there. Your wallets the only limit to what your jeep can do.

Last edited by WranglinWrangler; 03-11-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

The stock speakers all around are sh** anyways. Ur gonna wind up replacing them @ some point. + it's a cheaper start and will get you on ur way

Quick Reply: Infinity Sound System (factory installed) need answers