Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JK TIPM Problem Solved!

Old 02-01-2017, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster Issues - Bad TIPM?

Could my issue also be caused by a bad TIPM? It seems that 10 minutes after I start the Jeep for the day my instrument cluster goes crazy (dings at me, all lights light up, gauges go to zero) and the wipers turn on while the DIC says "no bus". Then the cluster goes back to normal but then there is no audio from the car stereo. When I turn off the Jeep and then re-start it everything works as normal. I do not see this issue for the rest of the day but it will happen the next morning. I have installed an android head unit that uses a CANBUS decoder to interface with the steering wheel controls and factory amp but it is integrated into the harness that came with the head unit.

2014 Silver JKU Rubicon 6sp
Old 02-01-2017, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by K7GX
Could my issue also be caused by a bad TIPM? It seems that 10 minutes after I start the Jeep for the day my instrument cluster goes crazy (dings at me, all lights light up, gauges go to zero) and the wipers turn on while the DIC says "no bus". Then the cluster goes back to normal but then there is no audio from the car stereo. When I turn off the Jeep and then re-start it everything works as normal. I do not see this issue for the rest of the day but it will happen the next morning. I have installed an android head unit that uses a CANBUS decoder to interface with the steering wheel controls and factory amp but it is integrated into the harness that came with the head unit.

2014 Silver JKU Rubicon 6sp
I'd start by eliminating the aftermarket head unit & harness (plus anything else similar) as a potential suspect. Disconnect and see if the symptoms go away (or change).

Last edited by Mr.T; 02-01-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:41 AM
JK Newbie

Exclamation

I had a weird issue today.. never had this before wondering if this is related?

Headlights wouldn't turn on fogs as well even though switched on.
Turn signals didn't work.
Wipers stuck on even though switched off.
Interior lights wouldn't turn on.
Lockers, Swaybar disconnect all wouldn't work even though I tried to turn them on.

Jeep started fine, hazards work, brake lights work, windows work, head unit works, etc.

I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Finally decided to just disconnect the battery and about 5 minutes after reconnecting everything went back to normal.

Everything interior aside for seat covers is stock, mostly modified suspension, wheels, etc so not sure what would randomly cause this.

We have had a ton of rain lately so maybe humidity or something related. Only 35K miles on my 08' rubicon.

Any idea what could cause this?

Last edited by tw!sted; 02-15-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tw!sted
I had a weird issue today.. never had this before wondering if this is related?

Headlights wouldn't turn on fogs as well even though switched on.
Turn signals didn't work.
Wipers stuck on even though switched off.
Interior lights wouldn't turn on.
Lockers, Swaybar disconnect all wouldn't work even though I tried to turn them on.

Jeep started fine, hazards work, brake lights work, windows work, head unit works, etc.

I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Finally decided to just disconnect the battery and about 5 minutes after reconnecting everything went back to normal.

Everything interior aside for seat covers is stock, mostly modified suspension, wheels, etc so not sure what would randomly cause this.

We have had a ton of rain lately so maybe humidity or something related. Only 35K miles on my 08' rubicon.

Any idea what could cause this?

I have a thread about this (Gremlins!) where my Jeep (2007 Sahaara) just started going nuts also.

In my case it's only the wipers going on by themselves (very slowly) and if I rotate their control knob on ams off trying to stop them it kills the engine. They get stuck in the that mode and engine won't restart until I "reboot" the Jeep by disconnecting the battery.

It start a few weeks ago and the dealership has been so full that can only check in my Jeep later on. In the mean time I am stuck with that issue since my Jeep is also my DD. It's completely random and sometimes a few days pass before it happens, sometimes happens more than once in a day and it comes out of the blue without any warning. Sometimes I only need one "reboot" and sometimes I need three or four before the engine starts again and things go back to normal (no indication whatsoever that there's something wrong).

The killing engine part is really passing me off and is also very disturbing since it disables steering and brakes. First rime it happened I was on a highway with my family and I was lucky to have space and time to pull over and stop the Jeep without those two. Also lucky it did not happen in some of the trails I go.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts

The gremlins above remind me of a joke...

Three engineers were in a car on the highway and the engine stuttered and died. After pulling over, the mechanical engineer said he thought maybe the timing belt had broken. The electrical engineer suspected an ignition related problem. The software engineer interrupted and said lets turn off the key, get out, close the doors, wait a minute, then get back in and try again.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
I have a thread about this (Gremlins!) where my Jeep (2007 Sahaara) just started going nuts also.

In my case it's only the wipers going on by themselves (very slowly) and if I rotate their control knob on ams off trying to stop them it kills the engine. They get stuck in the that mode and engine won't restart until I "reboot" the Jeep by disconnecting the battery.

It start a few weeks ago and the dealership has been so full that can only check in my Jeep later on. In the mean time I am stuck with that issue since my Jeep is also my DD. It's completely random and sometimes a few days pass before it happens, sometimes happens more than once in a day and it comes out of the blue without any warning. Sometimes I only need one "reboot" and sometimes I need three or four before the engine starts again and things go back to normal (no indication whatsoever that there's something wrong).

The killing engine part is really passing me off and is also very disturbing since it disables steering and brakes. First rime it happened I was on a highway with my family and I was lucky to have space and time to pull over and stop the Jeep without those two. Also lucky it did not happen in some of the trails I go.
Yeah scary stuff if the engine dies especially when on the freeway. In my case I had no headlights at night! Think this should be a safety recall. I found a couple other threads with similar issues, seems more common.

Strange though because never had any issues with my JK or any Jeep I have owned. This just randomly popped up so hoping just a fluke. Some people said it happened once and then never again.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

I'm having issue with my speedometer not working (i replaced all 4 speed sensors), esp light, sway bar flash, brake light on, etc... I'm wondering if this can be caused by TIPM?

Originally Posted by jetpilot39
Just wanted to add a little more info on this thread
I just bought a new TIPM and programed it using the method above by RJ
I had a few issues though and her's how I worked through them which was very easy.

Heres where I started.
1# Bought brand new TIPM from mopar parts specifically for my VIN. Do not by the refurb. Im told these do not work on this method.

#2 I removed my diablo performance tune and returned it to factory. It must be returned to stock to do this and also to retain your licence for your performance tuner.

Now I did what RJ suggested
#1. Remove the negative battery cable.
#2. Remove the cap of the tipm.
#3. Remove the lead to the tipm.(small nut )
#4. Remove tipm pop in clips on top that secure tipm to the jeep.
#5. Carefully unplug all of the connections on the bottom of the tipm.(These have gray rotating clips that attached to the plug).They are all color coded/idiot proof to reinstall. There is a small black release in the center push them in with the screw driver then rotate the gray clip downward to release.
#6. Remove the old tipm.
***It helps so much to have one person stand in front of the jeep holding and rotating the tipm and one on the passenger side removing and installing the plugs.***

To replace the tipm do this in reverse order.
VERY IMPORTANT!!!! STARTING INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!
Place your ignition key into the ignition.
Turn the key to the on position for 12 seconds.( I used a stop watch)
Then turn the key to the off position.
Then start your jeep as normal and check all of your functions to ensure normal operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO HERE IS WHERE I WAS DIFFERENT. I USED A STOPWATCH AND TURNED KEY ON FOR 12 SEC THEN SHUT IT OFF AND IT STARTED BUT MANY ICONS WHERE ON SUCH AS AIRBAGS/ESP/FUEL/SWAY BAR.

SO I REMOVED BATTERY TERMINALS AND THEN TOUCHED THEM TOGETHER WITHOUT THE BATTERY TO MAKE SURE THERE WAS NO RESIDUAL CHARGE ON ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

NEXT I DID THE PROGRAM AGAIN (YES YOU GET AS MANY CHANCES AS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RIGHT.

THIS TIME I WATCHED THE ICONS DISAPPEAR DURING THE 12 SECS AND WENT TO 14SECS

THEN I STARTED IT AGAIN AND 1 ICON WAS LEFT AND WOULD NOT GO AWAY
IT WAS THE SWAY BAR.

NOW AGAIN
I REMOVED BATTERY TERMINALS AND THEN TOUCHED THEM TOGETHER WITHOUT BATTERY TO MAKE SURE THERE WAS NO RESIDUAL CHARGE ON ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

NEXT I DID THE PROGRAM AGAIN ---3RD TIME

THIS TIME I WATCH EVERY ICON DISAPPEAR AND TOOK IT TO 15 SECS
AND WHEN I STARTED IT, NO CAUTION ICONS WHERE ILLUMINATED ANYMORE
IT IS NOW A PERFECT INSTALL AND RUNNING GREAT THANKS RJ

ALSO THIS WHOLE PROCESS TOOK ONLY ABOUT 20 MIN TO INSTALL AND PROGRAM THE TIPM

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE AT ALL LEVELS --- EASY AND THERE IS NO REASON TO GET RIPPED OFF FROM THE DEALER FOR INSTALLING THIS WHICH SCOTTSDALE ARIZONA CHAPMAN JEEP DEALER WHICH WANTED $900 FOR PART AND INSTALL. THEY ARE LESS THAN DESIRABLE TO DEAL WITH AND WAY OVERPRICED.
SO TRY THIS YOURSELF AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY YOU DID.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

First, thank you for starting this thread. I'm sure I'll use the information if I get to the point that I replace my TIPM.

My 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon had been parked for several months. Saturday morning I tried to start it only to find the battery was dead. I connected a battery charger and went on with my day. Sunday morning, I tried to start it again. It started, but the wipers would come on as soon as my ignition key was on and wouldn't turn off. WTF?! A quick search on the Internet, and it seems this TIPM problem is fairly common. I thought I would have to replace it.

Tonight I did a bit more research and came across this thread. Thanks to all who posted. Before reading this, I had thought that disconnecting the battery would be pointless since it was dead just before charging. But after reading this, I was encouraged to try that. To my surprise and delight, the Jeep appears to function properly again. I hope I'll never see this problem again, but I'm not optimistic.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

My dealer just told me i need to replace my TIPM. Only issue i'm having is my fogs cut off when I hit the right turn signal. This doesn't sound like any other TIPM issues you guys are having. The saving grace is my dealer is offering to do this under their goodwill program (I've got a 2013 w/40k). They are charging me 10% of the cost ($100) for the unit and install. Should I just let them do it for the $100 or do you guys have any other suggestions of what could be causing the issue?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2008 tipm

Originally Posted by Tizzyusmc
Umm it is a factory recall for all 2007-2008. It would be free if you took it to any jeep dealership :/, doesn't matter if you are the 1st owner or 100th.... Hopefully yours wasn't those years...if so that sucks...lol but at least you got it fixed! Jeep on buddy!!
I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler - and had to have the TIPM replaced a couple of years ago. 2008 is not covered under the recall. This replaced TIPM has now also gone bad.

Quick Reply: JK TIPM Problem Solved!