Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JL Stealthbox

Old 12-22-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by potatar
I have a stealthbox in my 2010 Rubi and I have a few questions for you guys who may also have one.... Some songs sound great, but it doesn't seem to play rock too well. I'm running the JL 900/5 so I have 500w going to it. I'm not sure if it's just cuz I'm using the stock RER head unit and it's not giving the amp enough power, but I essentially have the gain up about 3/4 or more and the bass control knob is almost constantly all the way up to get good or any bass out of it.

Also, I know the JK's have a pretty good alternator, but when I turn mine up to 23/24 the lights are dimming.

Any thoughts?????
It's a lot to do with the factory head unit, factory units have a detuned equalizer, so even if you adjust it on the mygig the output curve is still tweaked in order to prevent damage to factory speakers. Which I can attest is true because when I ditched the mygig for the iPad I blew out a front speaker and the factory sub hits harder than when I had the mygig. I recommend adding a JL audio cleansweep cl441 it will correct the oem output frequency and correct to a truer flat frequency. It pretty much gives you aftermarket sound with a factory head unit. As for your lights dimming, do you still have the factory battery? That's the first thing to upgrade with an aftermarket sound system, don't bother installing a cap, they are useless.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fastrat350
do you still have the factory battery? That's the first thing to upgrade with an aftermarket sound system, don't bother installing a cap, they are useless.
I'm curious why you think capacitors are useless?
I received one from Crutchfield when I ordered my Stealthbox and HD900/5.
I had never used a cap before, but figured since they sent it, I'd hook it up and use it.
Also after talking to Crutchfield they really seemed to praise the capacitor, saying it'd make a significant difference when heavy bass is being output.

So I'm curious why you think they're a waste of time?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Capacitors do serve a purpose, however they are not a bandaid. If you got one for free, by all means use it. It can't hurt. If you have dimming issues, a better battery (Kinetik) will help. For the purpose of the cap, it will filter the power going to your amplifier, reducing any current ripple that may be present.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 PM
JK Newbie

Can I see some pics of the outside front and back. I would like to see how it mounts up. I'm sure some of us could make a box like that.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

For all the 2 door owners, a 2dr StealthBox from JL comes out later this summer.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I just built a new box to mount to the tailgate. I'd still ike to see what they do though.

Originally Posted by eastcoasting32
For all the 2 door owners, a 2dr StealthBox from JL comes out later this summer.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eastcoasting32
I have a JL in my ram and that thing SLAMS. I regularly impress many audiophiles with rediculous systems. Granted when I did build my system I used awesome componentry and dynomatted everything. JL makes awesome stuff.

Quick Reply: JL Stealthbox