Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Led footwell lighting.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led footwell lighting.

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to share a recent mod I did.

I got a replacement blue led domelight bulb

And I got two 12inch blue led strip lights.

The domelight was a simple switch of bulbs.

As for the footlights...I ran two wires on each side from my footwells, along the trim by the windshield, thru the rollbar padding and out into the domelight. I wired my wires into the led strips. Then I spliced my wires into the power source for the domelight. I now have footwell lighting and domelights that come on when the doors open. They also turn on by rolling the dash brightness switch the whole way and "clicking" them on.

Wire plus footwell lights plus domelight bulb plus crimps and all that= less than $20. Got the bulb and striplights from eBay.

This picture is a crappy one from my cell phone I'll get some better ones soon.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is everyone getting their blue led dome lights? can you provide me the specific brand and watt, etc. that would be needed when purchasing it? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JacKed 8
Where is everyone getting their blue led dome lights? can you provide me the specific brand and watt, etc. that would be needed when purchasing it? Thanks!
I have no clue. All I did was search eBay for blue led domelight to fit jeep 07 wrangler. I found one. I will try to look in my records and see if there is a link. I will find the provider then pm it to you.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ECHO
Looks awesome!! Great Job!
Thank you! They look soo b.a. At night :-)

(the lady friend digs it too) haha :-)
Old 01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for writing this up. When it get warmer i will be doing this... but i think i will try to make it so the blue light shining on the shifter is always on when the lights are on. my wife's outback has this, and it illuminates the shifters and cup holders just enough to look cool and actually give you just enough light to see you drink in the cup holder.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Junkie

If everything goes well this weekend i will be installing my own LED footwell lighting, Ill take some pics if i do the install. I was also thinking of putting some LED's in the rear cargo area also.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is one of my favorite mods so far, and one of the cheapest. Took a couple of hours, though, because we insist on soldering, covering joints with liquid polymer, etc.

The lighting is very helpful!

-Dawn
Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You don't have to wire up to the dome light, there is a yellow wire with a white tracer that you tap into and that let's you control them as the OP stated. Advanced auto sells 12" strips that fit perfectly. There is a thin metal strip just under the dash that the strip can adhere to. I did it, good luck y'all.
I adhered it to the plastic under the dash. And it was easy to run it up the side to the domelight so I did
Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, something to consider for mine.

Last edited by Enzo; 11-05-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk

By putting it on the metal piece its never seen. I'll work on pictures hopefully tomorrow. But for other folks lookin to do this it takes less wire to go to the harness there on the passenger side.
True. Very true. Good thought.

Quick Reply: Led footwell lighting.