Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

light recommendations

Old 12-26-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light recommendations

Thinking of upgrading my head lights but the questions is buib or new headlight, what can I gain over stock with a new headlight, I don't want to pay 100s for new headlights. I am also looking at some small cube style offered lights in spot and flood. Any recommendations for those?
Old 12-27-2016, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you that I have experimented with replacing just the bulbs in the past, and the results were always very underwhelming. Sure you will get a brighter/whiter light, but the throw and pattern doesn't change - the limitation is still the housing itself.

My recommendation would be to upgrade to new headlights.

As far as LED pods; if you are putting a pair on your A-Pillar, my recommendation would be to go spot pattern. If you do flood, you will get a ton of glare off of your hood (that may or may not bug you, it was enough to annoy me). If you are going lower, like on or in your bumper, then the flood would likely be more ideal.

I have spots on my A, but to be honest, ever since putting trucklite headlights in, I haven't used them. On low beam they have a very wide, almost flood like, pattern; and on high beam, it's like kicking on the spots. The only pods I still get use out of are in the back, for when I don't quite make those long hill climb on a night run.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
Thinking of upgrading my head lights but the questions is buib or new headlight, what can I gain over stock with a new headlight, I don't want to pay 100s for new headlights. I am also looking at some small cube style offered lights in spot and flood. Any recommendations for those?
The research that I did showed me that unfortunately, the reflectors suck, so you really need to consider new headlight units. There are a few tests and comparisons out there on YouTube.

I went with JW Speaker and am happy; they are expensive. Best deal I found from WNY Accessory Shop.

Others swear there is no need to spend much, however, it seemed to me that all the good options were in the "100s" range.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think of it this way headlights are one of the most inportant safety features on your jeep so why not spend a little to get some really good ones not to mention a good number of the led options have about a 30 to 50 thousand hour life span so they are pretty much the first and last ones you have to buy as long as there are no unforseen damages or electrical failures.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
Think of it this way headlights are one of the most inportant safety features on your jeep so why not spend a little to get some really good ones not to mention a good number of the led options have about a 30 to 50 thousand hour life span so they are pretty much the first and last ones you have to buy as long as there are no unforseen damages or electrical failures.
+1M.

I don't want to pay 100s for new headlights.
Why does everyone try to save a buck on an item that is used daily and is a safety thing? That is the same thing as putting crap tires on your jeeps or using the cheapest brake components you can find. People should ask themselves if they would feel comfortable with their mom, wife, girlfriend, or daughter driving the jeep? Add quality components where it really matters, save money elsewhere.

New bulbs won't do anything other than slightly change the color of the light. You need to upgrade the housing. The real issue with adding pods to supplement those crappy factory headlights is you can't roll down the pavement with em on legally.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:03 AM
Former Vendor

We sell an LED Headlight Conversion Kit that is VERY popular. Unlike the other LED kits on the market that gave LED lighting a bad reputation, our lights were designed to mimic the output pattern of halogens, so you don't get that nasty glare.

During my day job I gave a few kits to some JK guys here and they love them. I've driven in front of them and no glare, coming at them, no glare. They work good.

Now.. as we know the JK lights just SUCK so these will be a vast improvement and they are only $135.

XHP Series (6000 Lumen) CREE LED Headlight Conversion Kit - 4x4TruckLEDs.com

The other option is to go with new sealed LED lights which will be like a tiny projection system.

The JW speaker as you know are expensive ($684 MSRP, JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J (Jeep) - 4x4TruckLEDs.com)

However Diode Dynamics came out with their own version (Diode makes good stuff) which are only $390 (Diode Dynamics DOT 7" Headlight (Pair) - 4x4TruckLEDs.com)

Again, that's almost $400 still and you didn't want to spend a lot.

We offer 10% off to JKFORUM members (coupon code JKFORUM) so that might help you with either kit... but there are some good options for you.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check out inspired engineering for led headlights. You can get them for under $400 and they work great.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default Head light up grade

There is also the option of upgrading your reflector housings and halogen lamps which can be done for less than $150.00
Old 12-31-2016, 05:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDs.com
We sell an LED Headlight Conversion Kit that is VERY popular. Unlike the other LED kits on the market that gave LED lighting a bad reputation, our lights were designed to mimic the output pattern of halogens, so you don't get that nasty glare. During my day job I gave a few kits to some JK guys here and they love them. I've driven in front of them and no glare, coming at them, no glare. They work good. Now.. as we know the JK lights just SUCK so these will be a vast improvement and they are only $135. XHP Series (6000 Lumen) CREE LED Headlight Conversion Kit - 4x4TruckLEDs.com The other option is to go with new sealed LED lights which will be like a tiny projection system. The JW speaker as you know are expensive ($684 MSRP, JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J (Jeep) - 4x4TruckLEDs.com) However Diode Dynamics came out with their own version (Diode makes good stuff) which are only $390 (Diode Dynamics DOT 7" Headlight (Pair) - 4x4TruckLEDs.com) Again, that's almost $400 still and you didn't want to spend a lot. We offer 10% off to JKFORUM members (coupon code JKFORUM) so that might help you with either kit... but there are some good options for you.
Thanks for posting this!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Jw speaker from river city offroad were about 450 shipped to my house very much worth it

Quick Reply: light recommendations