Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lights Flicker

Old 10-13-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights Flicker

I did a search and only one instance of this was found with no resolution so here we go......my daytime running lights (and to a lesser degree my headlights..when on) flicker. I don't have to touch the gas, they just do it by themselves. Now to muddle the picture even more, I've recently installed 4 off road lights. 2 I've tapped into the right front parking light so they'll go on with the parking lights, the other 2 I've tapped into the gray high beam wire on the right headlight so they;ll go on only with the high beams. Neither of the off road lights flicker though!!! All the grounds look solid enough and I've attached the power lead into the battery itself.

Frankly I'm baffled. I'm considering unhooking all the additional lights to see if that's the problem. But if someone here can offer any other advice, I'd sure be glad to listen!! ...could it be a bad battery or alternator or can the problem be a result of the additional lights???? Beats the hell outta me! :(

Thanks guys.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know what the answer is but if it was your alternator then it would be affecting your offroad lights as well. I'm no expert but I do have alternator experience from my loud stereo days.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Same problem here.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:26 AM
JK Freak

Got a new symptom this morning. When I start the Jeep now, the lights wired to the high beams come on very dimly for a second then go back off again. I suspect they may be the culprit causing the problem. I'm wondering if (since they're tapped into a headlight) if they're causing a voltage drop.....but why now though??? They've been connected for over a month.

Hmmmm.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

did these aftermarket lights come with relays or is it just 2 wires +/-?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

you could always try getting a relay harness and running current directly off your batter for your head lights and how are your off road light wired in?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
did these aftermarket lights come with relays or is it just 2 wires +/-?
They came with the relay.

you could always try getting a relay harness and running current directly off your batter for your head lights and how are your off road light wired in?
If I remember correctly....From the switch I have one wire going to the battery and the rest to the relay harness. From the relay I have one wire going to ground, another going to each light and one going to the high beam wire. The wiring is kinda idiot proof....or so I thought. I really didn't find it that complicated.

On a seperate note, I disconnected and reconnected the relay and now the off road lights don't fade on and off when I start the Jeep. Could it be a bad relay? But is so, why do the headlights still flicker when the relay was disconnected??? Man, this is driving me crazy!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

is your relay ground good? scraped paint and all?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
is your relay ground good? scraped paint and all?
I thought it was. I used a round wire terminal and screwed it onto an existing ground wire set on the side of the inside fender. Should I ground it seperately? Would that cause the symptoms I described?....especially after running fine for weeks. ???

Last edited by JulianK; 10-14-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

I got this advice from another source:

bad idea tapping them into the headlight circuit to power anything
JKs use pulse width modulation power for the headlights.
it reads the resistance and pulses the power to the lights, by adding the extra draw, you've probably confused the hell out of the CANBUS and its pulses are way off causing the dimming effect.
its probably not as apparent on the off road lights since you probably grounded them directly, which is gonna confuse the headlight circuit even more.
I'd whip out the sonic screwdriver and yank em real fast before the computer takes real exception to it and blows itself up or something.
Any thoughts/comments? It sounds feasible.

Quick Reply: Lights Flicker