Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig, Lockpick and backup camera

Old 07-06-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyGig, Lockpick and backup camera

Does any one have any recommendations for a backup camera to attach to Lockpick and MyGig? I ordered the camera from CoastelEtech almost 5 months ago and they say "backordered". I am looking for an alternative that has been successfully installed and operating buy anyone on the forum.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Any "rearview" camera should work fine. I see them on Ebay for less than $30. I don't think the lockpick reverses the image from the camera so you need a camera that does.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

I ordered the camera from coasteltech as well. They told me it was back ordered. After waiting a week for the camera I told them to cancel my order. They didn't respond to my email and the camera showed up 4 days later.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 AM
brianT

Did you hook up the camera?

I was told by the dealer that the back up cam couldn't be hooked up to the wrangler my gig because of programming? Would love to learn otherwise. I think the dealer just didn't want to deal with it.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

i have some generic back up cam and it works great. any one will work fine.. they are pretty much all the same anyway. I have had a few different ones in the past and there was never any major difference between them.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brianT

I was told by the dealer that the back up cam couldn't be hooked up to the wrangler my gig because of programming? Would love to learn otherwise. I think the dealer just didn't want to deal with it.
You need Lockpick to do it, but with Lockpick and MyGig it works great.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

You need the Lockpick device in order to use the backup camera. It overrides the Jeep programming can provide the inputs needed for the camera.

-Deke
Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

I hooked it up with the lockpick, it works fine. The cable for the video was long enough, but the power cable was kind of short. I wanted to run it along the side of my jeep. I had to run it down the center of the jeep, and out of the drain hole for the jack. I took the carpet out so you can see the cable on my floorboard. When I get more time I will get more cable and install it around the edge of the jeep, or hook it up to my reverse lights or something like that.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats strange, I ordered my CoastelEtech Backup cam two weeks ago - for use with my NavTV. Arrived in 4 days from time of order.

Its a nice camera with great install options. Picture is perfect for its purpose... You do need to get used to the distance/perspective, Objects are closer then they appear.

With the NAVTV product, you can also activate the camera while driving forward (Trailer Cam).

Quick Reply: MyGig, Lockpick and backup camera