Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

mygig navigation problems

Old 12-01-2007, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sirius and navigation use separate antennas.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, I was messing around with the MyGIG, and realized I had not entered in my "Home Address" for the guide me home option. Once I did that, then the maps came up and it started to show me. However, i was still only connecting to 1 satellite.. I am still going to have it looked at, because I was off on the map.. I mean, the icon for me was about a quarter inch to the left of the road I was on...
Old 12-01-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ihad an issue with mine too. When I was at the dealer I put in my address and the unit told me I was home right before I turned onto my street. As I drove further up my short street towards my home, it prompted me to turn around. I will say that after coming from my Garmin to the Mygig Nav I still prefer the Garmin. I do think the Mygig is capable of doing everything the Garmin does but its just not as user friendly yet.

Last edited by Rescue Bean; 12-01-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

It must be the interface since Garmin and Mygig both use the Navteq mapping system.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well "Murphy's Law' strikes again... I am on the way to the service center this morning, and the GPS is showing that it is conected to 1 and sometimes no satellites... Fingers crossed..."Stay this way" I am telling myself... Without a doubt, I get to within 3 blocks of the service center and bing, connects to 5-6 satellites, and stays like that the entire time I am at the service shop. I even drove around with the service tech...

then i drive back to work...get to the Stamford, CT exit off 95...Bingo, back to 0-1 satellites... Maybe it is just a black whole around Stamford here...LOL

Anyone else have random areas that get no reception? I am going to keep an eye on it and see. I am logging each time I bring it by there...
Old 12-03-2007, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Z-Man
Well "Murphy's Law' strikes again... I am on the way to the service center this morning, and the GPS is showing that it is conected to 1 and sometimes no satellites... Fingers crossed..."Stay this way" I am telling myself... Without a doubt, I get to within 3 blocks of the service center and bing, connects to 5-6 satellites, and stays like that the entire time I am at the service shop. I even drove around with the service tech...

then i drive back to work...get to the Stamford, CT exit off 95...Bingo, back to 0-1 satellites... Maybe it is just a black whole around Stamford here...LOL

Anyone else have random areas that get no reception? I am going to keep an eye on it and see. I am logging each time I bring it by there...
Just down the road from you. I am having no problems.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, back to the service I went today, 'cause the NAV is still all screwy... And I nearly jumped over the counter to pull the arms off the scrawny little service tech who was trying to blow me off. The dumbass didn't even know the unit was called a MyGIG.

So I tell him, listen I am connected to "0" satellites, and the NAV is way off. I continued that others have had this issue, only to be resolved by putting in a new antenna. Blah blah blah, but it showed you on the road right? he asked...I break out my camera phone and show him a picture:

Blah blah blah, I'll call chrysler, no appointment needed. We'll call you in a week. No you won't, it will be quicker then that. Then the Service Rep, Beth came over and made an appointment for me for next week. She asked, so it has less then 1000 miles on it. To which I replied...100. Her jaw dropped. Said, no probllem we'll get it taken care of. So....>We'll see what happens.

Stupid Tech, get back in the back, unless you have interpersonal communication skills... Ugh, that dude got me fired up. Then he said it is probably a software issue. The look on my face must of scared him, because he quickly went into the back, and Beth jumped in....lol

Last edited by Z-Man; 12-07-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

How do you see how many sats your connecting to?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click the Nav button on the right, should bring you to a blue menu screen with a button on the left column of buttons that says "NAV SETTINGS". Hit that, then on the right in the middle there will be one that says "GPS INFORMATION" or something like that. That will give you a map, Lat & Long, and howmany sats you are connected to.

This is what the screen looks like. This was when I was on I-95 and it showed me in some town...lol
Notice bottom right, it displays how many satellites

Last edited by Z-Man; 12-07-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, now aside from the Navigation and GPS not working properly...Now I have absolutely no sound. No radio, MP3 or Sat. Nothing. Volume display doesn't even show when I turn the dial, and when I select an MP3, it just shows me a message that says to please select a song...

Joy... Well, the service place is getting another call from me tomorrow. This happen to anyone else?

Quick Reply: mygig navigation problems