Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New JK Owner, Cruise Control won't work...

Old 10-24-2017, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JK Owner, Cruise Control won't work...

Greetings...
I am new to the forum. I just purchased a 2012 JK. On my way home from dealer, I discovered the cruise control would not turn on or function. I also noticed that the trip odometer, mileage tracker function only worked intermittently. I could get it to work a bit if I turned off the dashboard lights, but, then it quit again.
My dealer said they would fix any problems, but, I am trying to do some troubleshooting in advance in case they are not familiar with Jeeps. I have read some things about TPIM failures or perhaps simply the steering wheel modules are the problem.
Has anyone had a similar experience and what was the fix?
Thanks.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Might be the clockspring???? There are recalls for it from the factory.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks Arson!

Originally Posted by Arson
Might be the clockspring???? There are recalls for it from the factory.
Can you tell me what this "clockspring" does? Does it handle multiple electrical components?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

It's in the steering wheel it can cause weird things, horn not to work, cruise control not to work,, funny lights blinking on the dash. Not sure what all it does, but there are lot's out there that have had it replaced.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default Good Info..

Originally Posted by Arson
It's in the steering wheel it can cause weird things, horn not to work, cruise control not to work,, funny lights blinking on the dash. Not sure what all it does, but there are lot's out there that have had it replaced.
Sounds promising. This could very well be the problem, especially when you say it is a common issue. I will check with local Jeep dealer about the recall. Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I think recall is the wrong word. More like extending the warranty on the clockspring. A recall would mean that they should replace it even if there are no symptoms.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Rob is correct. The recall applies to 2007-2010 jeeps. There is an extended warranty on the 2011+ jeeps. I had the clock spring replaced on my 2011 using that warranty. The difference between the recall and warranty is this.

Recall - dealership will replace it regardless of the condition of the clock spring (failing or operating correctly)

Warranty - dealership will only replace it if the clock spring has actually failed.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Recall - dealership will replace it regardless of the condition of the clock spring (failing or operating correctly)

Warranty - dealership will only replace it if the clock spring has actually failed.
Interesting did not know that. I figured since it was a recall for earlier models they just do the same for all year models. Good to know for future reference. Had mine done under recall since I have 2007. Did not have any issues like OP that's pretty wild that it may cause issues such as that.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a multi cable ribbon connector that winds around as you turn your steering wheel. It allows electrical signals from the stalks, steering wheel controls, horn etc to get to the control module and allow the steering wheel to rotate around.

Quick Reply: New JK Owner, Cruise Control won't work...