Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ordering new Aux lighting.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ordering new Aux lighting.

I'm looking to install some long range lights at the bottom corners of my window. I've got the mounts but can't decide what I want. There are a few questions I have.

These lights will probably never get used on the road, unless some emergency comes up like my headlights and fog lights all explode and my flashlight is dead. I just wanted to clarify.

I'm looking for something BRIGHT, and with a long range maybe something in the 100W range. Is that too low, or will that be substantially bright? These will get quite a bit of use when I make trips to some cabins a family friend owns. I've never had a set of aux lighting, I've always carried one of those hand held floods and used it when I needed it. There is quite a bit of trail that goes up a creek bed, and seeing far enough ahead to make sure its not flooded out is really paramount.

Secondly, do these kits come with the wiring harness' I need to wire them up, or will I need a wiring harness? Some of the descriptions on a few of them lead me to believe some come with the entire harness and some don't. If not, what wiring harness should I look at, are they universal? With these should I upgrade to a deep cycle, something tells me no, but if I add more in the future it should be a priority.

Lastly and most importantly what do you guys recommend. I would prefer to stay about $200 bucks or less. I have mainly looked at KC and was considering this set I found at quadratec KC HiLiTES 121 - KC HiLiTES SlimLite 130W Super White Long Range Pair Pack - Quadratec. but if you know of a solid choice outside of those I'll be open to them. I've already got a set of KC mounts for my windshield, so they have to fit that, that is my only catch.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightforce 170's.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll take a look at them, any information on any of my questions?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have light force 170's and I love them. Very bright. They don't come with a wiring harness and are about $350 with the harness. Lifetime warranty. Rigid dually LED's are right at that $200 your looking for and I believe the harness is included. Rigid are very bright also and you won't see them from inside the truck. Can't recall rigids warranty at the moment but I believe it's also lifetime for factory defects. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

So basically if I want just pure blinding light lightforce is where its at.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 PM
JK Junkie

I have a set of HID 7' lights and they are super bright, follow the link to see pics .......

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...ackets-218219/
Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I'm going to stick with KC.

So any word if they come with the relay wiring harness, or if I need to buy one?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I have and recommend the Piaa 520 atp's. They are very bright, have a lifetime warranty, and you can find them in the price range you are looking for. They are complete plug and play, no splicing, and come with everything needed for the install
Old 08-24-2012, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

The kit I found is a little more expensive but may be worth it.

Do they bolt right up to regular windshield mounts. I assume that is universal, but I don't really know for sure.

I've also noticed most people here recommend outside of KC. Is there something I should know, the people I know who run aux lighting use KC and love them. I've seen a few rust, but its usually after several years.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MeatCurtains
The kit I found is a little more expensive but may be worth it.

Do they bolt right up to regular windshield mounts. I assume that is universal, but I don't really know for sure.

I've also noticed most people here recommend outside of KC. Is there something I should know, the people I know who run aux lighting use KC and love them. I've seen a few rust, but its usually after several years.
Which kit? As far as comparing the Piaa to the KC's, here is what I know. Piaa has a lifetime warranty and KC is 23 years. The Piaa's give a white light where the KC's is more yellow, and the Piaa's use less current. I have owned both and can tell you the Piaa's are a better quality light, and worth the little bit of extra money. And yes the KC's do rust, at least mine did

Quick Reply: Ordering new Aux lighting.