Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

RER upgrade questions.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RER upgrade questions.

I currently have a 2009 with the REQ radio. Sirius satellite. No uconnect module.

I just purchased on ebay a RER NAV head unit, high speed, removed from a 2008 Liberty. (P05064400AI)
I also bought a third party GPS antenna with the Fakra connector.
Also purchased a Mopar Mygig stand alone microphone kit

Hopefully, this is all I need to install?
Another question is, to update the software in the MYGIG, can I just use the latest version (2.404) or do I have to do updates incrementally? I saw a post on another forum that said I had to go to 9.713 -> 9.807 -> 2.404 for things to work properly.

Any help or advice would be welcome. This is my first experience with MYGIG or any nav radio.

Sam
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default a couple more questions

Does changing the radio require any interaction at the dealer or is it just plug and play?

I know I have to activate the microphone in the engineering menu to get the uconnect to work.

If I want to install a backup cam, Which wire/connector do I need to tap into on the radio? I know a dealer must tell the system that a backup cam is installed.

Sam
Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

The radio is plug and play. You will reuse your wiring and AM/FM and sat radio antennas. The Nav antenna you bought will attach under the panel on top of the center stack and then plug into your radio.

For the camera, if you're not doing a Lockpick to unlock the Nav and video in motion, then use the commander or grand cherokee camera. It will come with the plug you need to plug it directly into the radio and the dealer can activate it with the StarScan. If you are going Lockpick, then you can use any backup camera with an RCA connector.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default RER Install

I got the radio and GPS antenna today. The radio has version 9.713 installed, and the 30 GB hard drive. I put the GPS antenna above the passenger side speaker bar. Signal reception is good with fast lock-on and good tracking. No trouble switching over my sirius service. Now I just have to wait for the microphone kit to get here to get the UCONNECT up and running. I still don't have an answer on if I can go ahead and install the 2.404 software, or if I have to do the intermediate upgrades. Also, I am experiencing occasional dropout of the left side audio. I'm hoping I just didn't get the connector plugged in solid.

Sam
Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just in case you didnt know, you have to have the dealer flash your ECU with the star scan to enable the UConnect.
The setting in the head unit is only affecting the radio if you already had Uconnect installed in your vehicle and are swapping head units.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CoreyZ
Just in case you didnt know, you have to have the dealer flash your ECU with the star scan to enable the UConnect.
The setting in the head unit is only affecting the radio if you already had Uconnect installed in your vehicle and are swapping head units.
That is not true for the RER units. You can just turn it on I the engineering menu and away you go. The star scan is only needed for the external module units used for the RES/REQ/REN radios.

As for software versions, if you're already on 9.713, I think the old path was to 9.807, then 2.404. It's been awhile and the MyGig site seems to be down for good these days so I can't double check. Do you have the 9.807 and/or 2.404 discs?

Also, the dropout thing sounds familiar. I think I remember one if the software updates addressing that. I would go ahead and do your upgrades and see if that clears it up.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default RER Install

Thanks for the info. Its a shame that the one website that everyone all over the web keeps referring to is no longer around it seems.

I did the software update yesterday, first doing 9.807 and then 2.404. Everything went smoothly and seems to be running just fine.
I also uploaded about 6 gigs of WMA music to the hard drive via the front USB port. I was disappointed in the music organization that when you sort by artist, it doesn't break down into albums, but goes directly to songs.

Also, my neighborhood, that was built in the early/mid 70's is not on the maps. I wonder where NAVTEQ gets its database, as I have not seen any source that does not include my street before.

The microphone should be here today, so hopefully I will get that installed this weekend. I also bought an inexpensive back-up camera. I'd like to hook it up without using a lockpick device. I know that it will require a visit to the dealer to activate, though I'm not sure why, since I noticed in one of the engineering menus that the radio already knows what gear you are in.

Sam
Old 05-29-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

The microphone kit came in and I installed it on the drivers side pillar. Turned it on in the engineering menu and everything is working good. No issues pairing my iPhone 5 to the radio. There was no need to go to the dealership to enable anything so far.

My issues with audio dropout on the left channel was just the NAV voice set to a very low volume.

The next adventure is trying to hook up a backup cam. I ordered a connector to fit C3 on the back of the radio. (Metra 71-6522) Everyone keeps mentioning three connections... but a composite video connection is just two wires... signal and ground. From what I can gather, SIGNAL connects to pin 3, 4 is listed as RETURN, and 5 as SHIELD. I am a bit confused on the meaning of RETURN. Should I connect the composite cable to 3+4 or 3+5? Also, while I am making connections, if I want to provide for an external (backseat?) monitor (future expansion), which connections do I need to hook up to? I would just want to put in a standard AV panel for now, with Composite video and L/R audio. I'm thinking its 6/7 for the composite out and 18/19/20 for L/R audio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C3.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	462753
Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Camera connects to 3 & 4. The MOPAR camera uses a shielded cable, the shield is connected to 5. If you can find and download 82211346.pdf (installation instructions for the Commander camera) it has a pretty good wiring diagram.

Quick Reply: RER upgrade questions.