Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rubicon front locker on a sport.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon front locker on a sport.

I am wondering if you can wire a Rubicon front locker with a sPOD. This is a 2012 JK Sport, it does not have the wiring. I really don't want to use the CANBUS system to operate it. I understand that sPOD doesn't want you to wire it directly to their unit. What if I were to use the sPOD to trigger another separate relay just for the locker? I could cut either the power or the ground circuit. I really do not want to use the factory CANBUS system, I have had enough issues with that system already. Thank You.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You definitely want to avoid the canbus on that. The spod switches are a two position switch so you could use that if you like. Run the sPod source connections, since they already have the fuse, relay, and switch installed, to the coil positive and negative. The Rubi locker also has connections for the indicator so you know when it's engaged. Wiring in a LED will do that for you. By wiring the LED directly to the indicator plunger, you will know if the locker is still engaged after you hit the off switch.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi Locker Wiring.jpg
Views:	4748
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	595752  
Old 02-07-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is how I did mine. And this is the plug and 20 ft of wire. Part # P5155359. I got it from the dealer.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Short answer is NO. Unless you put a Dana 44 in the front of your sport
Old 02-07-2015, 04:18 PM
JK Junkie

I was assuming he got a rubi axle but maybe that was a bad assumption.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Yes, I am getting a Dana 44 from a Rubicon. sPOD has 30 amp fuse on given circuits with 40 amp relays. sPOD is already in the Jeep. I will also have to switch to a 4.10 w/E-locker in the rear. I was just wondering if I should use extra relays, or just use the sPOD only. I can wire in LEDs for the locker engaged, but won't have that option for the rear. I did my headlight harness with capacitors, and Diodes so the CANBUS doesn't know I am running 100 watt H4 bulbs. Wiring isn't the issue. I just need to know how much power is required to lock the diff. Can the sPOD handle the draw for long periods?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by metaldemon
Yes, I am getting a Dana 44 from a Rubicon. sPOD has 30 amp fuse on given circuits with 40 amp relays. sPOD is already in the Jeep. I will also have to switch to a 4.10 w/E-locker in the rear. I was just wondering if I should use extra relays, or just use the sPOD only. I can wire in LEDs for the locker engaged, but won't have that option for the rear. I did my headlight harness with capacitors, and Diodes so the CANBUS doesn't know I am running 100 watt H4 bulbs. Wiring isn't the issue. I just need to know how much power is required to lock the diff. Can the sPOD handle the draw for long periods?
Aww gotcha. Now your talking a bit beyond my knowledge level. I'm not well versed in wiring.
But as far as long periods, how long are you thinking. Generally a locker, especially in the front isn't engaged for very long at all. Just enough to handle the situation and then disengage
Old 02-07-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a winch being turned on/off via a warn relay switch via my SPOD, so I don't see why not.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metaldemon
The Relay is the one that will be handling the full voltage, the SPOD will only be carrying the voltage to trigger the relay. You should be fine.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:41 AM
JK Junkie

From what I've read, some guys don't even use relays and their switches heat up and they're fine with that (I wouldn't be). I would think since they do that and the fuse for the lockers is 20A then you should be able to go directly off the sPod. Found this.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...i-44-a-185051/

Quick Reply: Rubicon front locker on a sport.