Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

speaker polarity

Old 06-13-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker polarity

So guys... i got a after market head unit installed in my jk about 5 months ago...and everything works great.....just got through installing a front speaker component system...and everytime i turn my volume up the speakers start to crack...like a blown speaker...i got the polarity on this forum and everything matched but i still dont know whats going on...any ideas?? Thanks for your time....

Brett
Old 06-13-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the head unit direct to speakers, or going through an amp?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Insufficent power for the speakers in question.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

I haven't replaced my head unit yet, but I've replaced ALL the speakers with Polks in front and rear. Your problem may be caused by several factors that I've found in mine:

1. You're not getting enough power to your new speakers, so you need an amp to help out with the problem.

2. You haven't put any dynamat and/or polyfil into the enclosures.

3. Your speakers are being overpowered if you're still using the stock system.

If it's none of those, then you've got me. I've replaced all the speakers, installed dynamat and polyfil, and installed the Kicker 4-channel amp to push them since just the factory head unit was underpowering them.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by AWESOME
I haven't replaced my head unit yet, but I've replaced ALL the speakers with Polks in front and rear. Your problem may be caused by several factors that I've found in mine:

1. You're not getting enough power to your new speakers, so you need an amp to help out with the problem.

2. You haven't put any dynamat and/or polyfil into the enclosures.

3. Your speakers are being overpowered if you're still using the stock system.

If it's none of those, then you've got me. I've replaced all the speakers, installed dynamat and polyfil, and installed the Kicker 4-channel amp to push them since just the factory head unit was underpowering them.
Although I think dynomat is great, and should be used on all installs. BUT, I cannot say that I agree with any answers you posted really. Well, number 1 maybe.

Have you replaced your factory speakers? did you have the infinity system?

Reason I ask is that if you did not have the infinity system, and you still have the factory speakers, you have a 2 ohm speaker hooked up on each channel. Most aftermarket head units are not designed to have 2 ohm loads over 4 channels. The head unit may overheat and get damaged at this load as well. What Head unit did you install?

If you have the infinity system, nevermind that because the amp is providing the power and the impedance should not be an issue. We need more info at this point to help you further.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

i installed a kenwood kvc 512....??? dvd cd player...and i have alpine sps 600 speakers type s....6.5 woof and 1 inch tweet....the tweeter is the only one cracking....none of the others....Thanks gents!!!

Brett
Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

hmm twitter is cracking?? Thats pretty weird....I am thinking there's a rip on it somewhere that maybe causing this. Its usually the other way around and the woofer part cracks..check the tweeter and let us know if there might be a rip/whole/tear around it?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:48 PM
JK Jedi

is it just one tweet or both? if it is one I would think that it is physical damage to the tweeter. is the speaker connected straight to the HU, or did you have the infinity system and are using the amp?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

swap the tweets over does it still make noises?

Quick Reply: speaker polarity