Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sub-Woofer Removal

Old 01-26-2021, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

OK thanks I will figure it out. And thanks to you and Sv_Dude for the links. I just play my stereo when wheeling and just start the HDD playing randomly for the hundreds of songs in there.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey get this...I had all those stereo system upgrades done in my 2013 Sport as really it sounded terrible with the stock head unit. I bought the 2 door because it only had 6000 miles and I thought I could tolerate the lack of space, but after just a few months I traded it in on a 2013 4 door Sahara. The Sahara had a very nice stereo upgrade already, a Kenwood Exceleron DDX9904S and other than the base, it sounded great, just a tiny bit different than my previous set up and I just figured it was because it was larger. I thought for sure all the speakers were upgraded by the previous owner also, but nope. They could be the kicker upgrades in the 77KICK10 kit, but I don't think so. They have a mopar part number of 05064551AB. So far I can't tell exactly if that is to just the 6.5" speakers, or the whole 9 speaker amplified system. So does just a head unit make that much of a difference?? Maybe I have other upgrades that I haven't found yet, because it really does sound good.

Where is the amp at anyway for the rear sub? It must be tiny, I don't hear much bass at all.

05064551AB

Old 02-02-2021, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts

That’s just the stock 6.5” speaker. It’s likely just the head unit. An aftermarket head unit makes a big difference.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Huge, now I don't know if even need to replace the tweeters, the 6.5" inchers and add an amp for those. I am assuming the rear factory sub has an amp, do you know where it is? I don't if I can that one for the four 6.5 inch speakers and then use my aftermarket amp for my two 10 inch subs
Old 02-02-2021, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

I can’t tell you where the factory amp is. It may be a part of the factory sub box?

When I got my Jeep it had factory speakers and a cheap siecane head unit. I replaced the head unit with an alpine i209-wra unit and I took out the factory speakers and only installed the kicker speakers. No amp, it sounds pretty good for what it is. I’m a bit of a stereo snob though so I’m a rough critic. I had a competition stereo in a Tundra I used to have
here’s an old thread:
https://www.tundrasolutions.com/thre...-floor.116701/
It’s only showing the sub portion since the front stage was a secret recipe. Haha.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Man, that thread was bad @ss, nice job! So far I am finding many more options for my next set up, will definately have to do some research. Pillar pods maybe this time? Stealth boxes by the wheel wells if I can find them empty. Might need to sell my extra set of rims to fund this one.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
Man, that thread was bad @ss, nice job! So far I am finding many more options for my next set up, will definately have to do some research. Pillar pods maybe this time? Stealth boxes by the wheel wells if I can find them empty. Might need to sell my extra set of rims to fund this one.
One day I’ll build a stereo for my Jeep. I’d like to make fiberglass pods for the tweeters and mid range speakers and aim them at the drivers head rest. The factory mod bass pods in the dash are okay but I’ll reinforce them, add sound proofing and poly fill them. No rear speakers are needed, a good front stage will fill the whole vehicle nicely. I’d also like to make sub boxes for the rear and have two 10” subs back there. All power will be done with a zapco amp... but this is probably 1500-2000 down the road and there’s a few other 4wd related things I have left to do that are taking priority over stereo stuff.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Sixty 4x4 you might find this informative: https://youtu.be/ATDvnkm6I7A
Anybody have the OEM part number to this replacement piece that goes in place after removing the factory sub?

Thanks, Scott

Quick Reply: Sub-Woofer Removal