Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

uConnect mic / Aftermarket mic position

Old 04-20-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put mine next to the radio and soldered a bigger mic on to it. works great. no complaints don't use it much though but if i decide to pick up the phone it's there when i need it.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt08jk
I put mine aboue the rear view mirror.

I did the same and it works great there. I originally had it located left of the mygig and it did not work so well there...
Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

I bought the coastaltech mic, positioned it as shown on their video which is upper LH corner of MyGig unit.

Sound is lousy.

I'm wondering if the MOPAR mic is of better quality.

Thoughts?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whpony96
I did the same and it works great there. I originally had it located left of the mygig and it did not work so well there...
How much noise do you get on the mic when the defroster is turned on? Any wind noise with the windows down?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just a quick pointer if you want to set up your mic. The RER has a memo feature (easy to use if voice controlled). I just recorded the sound from various locations and listened to how it sounded and picked the best. I was suprised how clear I sounded. I am sure the "in a hole" phone calls are because of the RER and phone interface and not the mic.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadTime
Just a quick pointer if you want to set up your mic. The RER has a memo feature (easy to use if voice controlled). I just recorded the sound from various locations and listened to how it sounded and picked the best. I was suprised how clear I sounded. I am sure the "in a hole" phone calls are because of the RER and phone interface and not the mic.
where is the memo feature? I don't think I have ever seen it? I am still running 9.715 though... maybe I don't have it?

Hey offroadme, you have a photo of the mic you soldered on? Any info on it?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Please explain

My jeep says it has GPS Multimedia/Uconnect but when press either the phone button or the uconnect button I get a message that says that it's not equiped with the uconnect feature. I asked the dealer and they said the Wranglers don't have it because of the wind noise with the top off and there is no option for it.. Somehow I got the feeling that's not right. I know other Jeeps you can press the button and say "Fox News" and it takes you to that channel.. What am I missing and how do I get it?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BrettFL
My jeep says it has GPS Multimedia/Uconnect but when press either the phone button or the uconnect button I get a message that says that it's not equiped with the uconnect feature. I asked the dealer and they said the Wranglers don't have it because of the wind noise with the top off and there is no option for it.. Somehow I got the feeling that's not right. I know other Jeeps you can press the button and say "Fox News" and it takes you to that channel.. What am I missing and how do I get it?
Depends on the model MyGIG you have. If it's a RER it should have a jack on the back for the MOPAR factory mic. Buy the mic from a stealership and just plug it in. You'll then have to access the service menu to enable it. There's a write up on it here somewhere.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Well it's an 09 so hope it's the latest greatest but is there a way you can be sure what model it is?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

It's labeled on the front of the unit. Down in the lower right corner I believe. Should say RER/REN/etc.

Quick Reply: uConnect mic / Aftermarket mic position