Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

uConnect mic / Aftermarket mic position

Old 02-06-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uConnect mic / Aftermarket mic position

Hey guys,

I'm adding uConnect mic to the myGig... I've picked up the Mopar microphone kit and the instructions have you positioning the mic at the top left of the windshield... which seems like a bad position if you have your top off/windows down etc.

So where is your mic positioned, good or bad what are your experiences?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I have mine on the center stack, right to the left of the radio face. Works great there, everyone can here me just fine. I was even using it this summer at the beach, no doors or top, riding 50-55 down the road and people could hear me fine.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

is the uconnect like a hands free device for the cell phone and do you ned the mygig to have it.i have the uconnect on my radio but i does not have the gps
Old 02-07-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

It's for any of the radios. If you have the MyGig it's built in and can be activated by adding a $40 mic kit and performing a software upgrade. If you don't have a MyGig, you can buy the Mopar add on kit for $250 (list price), install it, and have the dealer activate it from StarScan. There is a good thread on here detailing it and the optional iPod cable you can get that fully integrates your iPod controls into the factory head unit.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by matto0
Hey guys,

I'm adding uConnect mic to the myGig... I've picked up the Mopar microphone kit and the instructions have you positioning the mic at the top left of the windshield... which seems like a bad position if you have your top off/windows down etc.

So where is your mic positioned, good or bad what are your experiences?

Thanks,

Matt
To the right of the steering column under the speedo
Old 02-07-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine aboue the rear view mirror.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How good does the mic work installed above the mirror? Any problems when using the defroster?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Hey guys...

I ended up mounting it to the left of the Radio stack on the dash... I basically called using the myGig and had the person tell me where the mic sounded the best, and anywhere around the stack/on the dash was basically the same...

A couple images...

Matt
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What aftermarket mic will fit the mygig gps head unit? What kind of plug does it have to be? I went into the engineering menu and turned on voice recognition so now the uconnect and voice buttons work, I just need a mic now.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

does anyone know if any of the listed uconnect mic's on ebay will work or are they actually vehicle specific? (individual listings will say for dodge ram, chrysler 300, etc...but no wrangler).

I ordered the LockPick unit and have it installed, but the speaker they sent was defective and they don't ship to Canada (had it initially shipped to a realtive in Florida and they drove it here for me when they were coming for a visit). So I guess I will need to purchase a new speaker.

Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply: uConnect mic / Aftermarket mic position