Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Water in fuel warning light

Old 07-22-2018, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in fuel warning light

Hello all, I have a strange problem.

I have a 2017 JK unlimited 2.8 diesel and when I drove through a few puddles, the water in fuel warning light came on and wouldn't go off. After about half an hour it turned off but quickly came back on again. In only turned off after driving for about an hour on dry tarmac.

Is there a water drain filter or is there something I can do , like adding something to the fuel?

Could it be a sensor ( it was raining quite heavy when the warning came) ?

What exactly is the light, as I can't find it in the manual?

Thank you
Old 07-22-2018, 10:29 PM
JK Newbie

And this is what the warning looks like.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunately I know nothing about your Jeep. That would be a nice feature to have a fuel sump. I work with a lot of jet fuel and regularly sump water out of the fuel tanks on a monthly basis. I’d check your owners manual first see what it says. If you can indeed sump the fuel tank to remove water, do it after the Jeep has been sitting for 6-8 hours. That should help a lot of water settle to the bottom of the fuel tank. As I understand it diesel fuel is always going to have some amount of water in it.

Do they make any products for diesel fuel like dry gas?
Old 07-23-2018, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not familiar with diesel automobiles...but in farm and heavy equipment there is typically a fuel water separator that is easily drained.

We in the USA have to wait another year or two before a diesel is an option for our jeeps (the JL). Curious as to the solution, because I'm sure it will happen when we get the diesels here

Last edited by Wuebben.2; 07-23-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

One long shot option I thought of is use a liquid vac, or one of those hand operated fluid pumps with a long tube. Feed it into the fuel tank after its had a nice long sit still and see if you can pump out the water.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I found this, it might be helpful

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/rou...crd-eng-26609/
Old 07-23-2018, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't know about diesel Jeeps, but diesel Ford pickups have a water filter (not sure what you actually call it), with a drain mounted underneath the vehicle, along the inside of the frame rail near the driver side seat. You get a warning like this, you stop and open the drain till the liquid coming out smells like diesel, then you close the drain and go about your business.

My understanding is this is pretty common practice on modern diesel vehicles. Should say something about it in the owners manual.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 07-24-2018, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Found this thread. Looks like diesel JK does have a water separator/fuel filter.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...4/#post2620770
Old 08-01-2018, 12:13 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for your help.

Upon further investigation I notice the following: the warning light on the dash only comes up when driving through some potholes filled with water -actually more or less in the same spot on the road . Not very deep, up to the middle of the wheel usually. It doesn't come on when driving very very slow, but I think it may come on in deeper water.

Could it be that the sensor from the link above, responsible for detecting water/moisture in the filter, malfunction? As in, when driving through water some may splash on the sensor , hence the warning?

"The drain plug on the filter body with the two wires protruding is not actually a drain plug. This is the water in fuel sensor which eliminates the need to routinely drain the moisture out. You will receive a warning light on the dash if this sensor detects water. I guess it's basically a conductivity probe which will make a circuit when water is present lighting up the dash. You can still drain diesel out by unplugging the sensor and unscrewing the plug."

Now I'm thinking maybe If I can locate the sensor and have a look, it may need some insulation tape or something?

Can anyone help to locate this sensor? Sorry I'm new to my JK (but I love every bit of it)

Thank you

Quick Reply: Water in fuel warning light