Notices
JK Forum Contest and Giveaways! Featured Jeep of the Month contest plus other giveaway opportunities!

Winner Announced - JDaPP: Genesis Off Road Dual Battery System Giveaway

Old 11-29-2016, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We do a lot of off the grid, remote style camping throughout the year in the PNW. I'm a planner and always bring a backup plan . . . Genesis makes the ultimate backup plan!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One time came out of work and the Jeep was dead. Couldn't jump, nothing. Learned what a PITA it is to get a tow truck on a Navy base. Was also suppose to pick up the kids so had to call a friend.

Thank you for considering me and FOR GODS SAKE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh! I sooooooo need this!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

my story is that i love my jeep, and i love the places it can take me and allow me and my family to experience the world.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:16 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

I gave you the best true story I had last year ! lol....

So maybe I could try being creative?

So... before I start, you should know my wife goes to sleep listening to "coast to coast" .... and that can leave you with some pretty strange bedtime stories... here ya go....

When I was about 13 years old my Dad took me and my older brother on a great adventure in his CJ5. It was the "metal flake brown"-"levi jeans" edition. Chrome wheels and side pipes (to serve as running boards?). No winch, No spotlights... it was new to him, and no modifications had yet happened.
It was in the middle of July and we were going up the famous Goose Lake Jeep trail near Cooke City Montana. Dad got off work at 5 and we packed up all the stuff we thought we might need for the trip, hanging the sleeping bags on the roll bar with balck rubber straps. I remember throwing in our new green and yellow Montgomery Ward -3 man tent, clothes, a cooler, and flashlights. We had the Jeep loaded: "chuckwagon foods" backpacking meals, fishing poles, worms and flies, down sleevless vests, and we had John Denver and Charlie Pride for the 8 track player Dad had just mounted in the Jeep. We were heading deep, deep into the Beartooth range on old prospecting trails (now a wilderness area).We were going to camp, fish, Jeep, and make memories.
Gas was pretty high, I remember seeing a sign on a closed up pump that said .39cents... it was double that now! The soft top on the CJ was better off than on... the flapping would drive you crazy listening to the constant noise. we drove in what seemed like a blast furnace of heat heading towards the mountain range. We knew it would be cooler when we got to 8000ft.
We only had about 2 hours of pavement before we stopped to "water the bushes" after the three cans of Shasta we drank on the drive up. The CB had been quiet for a while... and it seemed like we had left the "real world" behind. The bugs were terrible, so think you could hardly get a breath without spitting out wings. We talked about the movie we saw on Thursday night, "towering inferno" and decided it was much better living in a state where the tallest building was 16 stories high. We ate a couple sandwiches we had packed, but it was obvious that it might be a while before we got to camp. A Dad and his two sons, going into the dark woods at night.
The trees looked flat in the headlights, and the whine of the Jeep was only broken by the occasional bang or squeek - jolted and shaking with the tossing motion of the trail and Jeep working in a strange concert of motion... the fumes of the eghaust drifting in and out of the seats... all part of the fun of Jeeping with Dad!
But soon, I was kind of getting "creeped out" it was so cold at night you could see your breath and the snapping of sticks and logs echoed through the woods as we drove deeper and deepr into the woods trying to find a camp. Rubbing our hands under the heat vent helped some, and the floor was hot near the tranny and if you could get your toes near the side pipes... your boot would warm up too. Dad said, I think this is where we want to be as we followed a brush covered two track into a tight small clearing.

Dad was very alert as we pulled off the trail, I know now that he was not sure where we were at. We left the Jeep running and set up the tent in the headlights. It was too late to worry about a fire, we just would set up the tent and go to bed. When the engine was turned off, and in the cold night air the bugs were now gone, there was no wind, no birds, nothing. Silence. We were so excited, it was going to be a night to remember! We had never been on a trip without mom with us too, but she said she really would rather stay home on this trip. Just us guys!

The tent went up easy, and we got all of our stuff set up. I remember Dad bringing the 357 into the tent... he always brought it just in case... This was bear country. I remember taking one last look at the sky and the millions of stars above my head. What a place to be!

I woke up in the early hours of the night.
Something was wrong. The hair was standing up on the back of my neck, and for some reason I felt like I had been startled awake, but I couldn't remember what woke me? The moon had came out and the shadows of pine trees were on the tent. There was a terrible smell in the air... then I noticed my brothers "winner tennis shoes" by my pillow... YUCK, that explains that stench...

Everyone was asleep and I figured I could move the shoes quietly to the back of the tent. But as I moved the shoes.. in the corner of my eye- I saw a shadow move and shift quickly across the tent. I could hear heavy footsteps in the tundra-like grass... and Breathing! Deep long sniffing... I was frozen in place, my moving had caught the attention of whatever had woke me up from my sleep! My ears were pounding, My heart was thumping so loud I could hear it!

Feeling paralyzed and now shivering with cold and fear, I could now clearly see and hear other movement around the tent... there were three directions you could hear the footsteps moving, slow, silent, methodic... "they" were exploring around the camp, occassionaly a twig would get broken... or lick it's mouth...
One was near the Jeep moving the pop cans gently in the floorboards. And one was still seemingly fixed on me... on the noise in the tent I made, I was shaking trying not to make more noise. After what seemed like an hour- but I know was only a few min... the one near the tent went back to sniffing the ground and moving in the shadows. I pondered if I should make noise? What if it was a Griz and her two cubs? What if I made things worse by scaring them? They might just leave if I'm quiet.

Why won't Dad and my Brother just wake up?

Then the night was broken with a crash! The cooler had been dropped on the ground the ice and cans made a noise that everyone heard, Dad bolted awake and picked up his gun, my brother was asking "what was that"... the ground started thumping with foot steps running from camp, Dad was fighting to find the zipper tot he tent and we all were turning on our flashlights. There was a large "whooping sound" and branches snapping and breaking... we were struggling to get out of the sleeping bags and as we stepped out into the cold we were greeted with silence.

Our flash lights darted around the trees and brush... but we could see nothing. Soft noise was all around, but you could never fix on its location.

My Dad had his light fixed in one spot in the trees about 30 feet from the Jeep, his gun was in his hand... both of us boys walked to him...

He said "do you see that?"... I strained to see movement but saw nothing. He said "there!"... then whispering- "what is that?".

I did see it... about 10 feet off the ground- in the limbs of an old pine were two shinning white eyes, occasionally blinking... but staring through the sticks at us. There was a loud snort... and some huffing... and my Dad pulled back the hammer... BOOM!
The night lit up with a flash, and the sound of the gun ripped through the night, Dad had fired a shot in the air, and was bringing the barrel back down level with the trees. The eyes slowly turned and sticks broke as the shadow of a large creature moved off into the night, getting louder as it picked up speed snapping larger branches in the distance!

We were cold and shivering. No one was going back to sleep, Dad said "were packing up"... he went over to start the Jeep....
Click... click... tap tap... nothing. No power! Dead!

He noticed with his flashlight that the CB and 8 track player were both still on (slap), just the volume had been turned off.... but in his quick wiring job, they both had direct power from the battery, and everything was drained.
Now we were in the dark, our flashlights going dead, and the sky was clouding up and our moonlight was shrinking our world to again be a couple short shafts of light. This was going to be a long night.

We spent the next 10 min getting a fire going, and I think we made sure they could see it from space.... We stayed near the heat of the crackling fire all night waiting for daylight. Watching for shadows, listening for noises. No one was going to sleep...

Morning came, we ate some cold pop-tarts... waited for the day to begin, for the cold to let go of the air around us, and to feel the safety of having our vision restored to us in the comfort of light!
We packed a canteen, and Dad decided to have all of us go for help together. No one was being left alone at camp. We hiked about two miles over to another Lake, and we found a guy camped there with his Red and White Ford Ranger...
He said he would drive around and give us a jump. He also said he had heard a gun in the night, and that something had ran crashing through the trees near his camp in the night shortly after. Dad didn't say a word, and we took that to mean that we shouldn't say anything either. He would have to come up with his own crazy story on what happened, we were not going to help him with the details.
When He was ready to load up, my brother and I went down to the creek near his camp with a bucket- to get water to put his camp fire out. It was going to be a couple hours to get back to our camp on the roads. As we bent down to fill the bucket, there it was! My brother and I could see it in the sand... what looked like a large human footprint in the sand. It could only be one thing as we looked at each other. .... Bigfoot....

The man gladly took us back to the Jeep, we got it started, Dad tried to pay him some money, but he wouldn't take any. We gave him our pop instead! We packed up, went back home... it was good to have a warm bed, to see mom, and we had our fill of adventure for the weekend.

If only we had two batteries....
Old 11-30-2016, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

I got nothing!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Genesis should give me the system to make me a believer of the perfect dual battery system
Old 11-30-2016, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2010 Sasquatch is hungry for power on the regular and a second battery option would quench this animal's appetite! Thanks Genesis Off Road for the opportunity.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had an issue yet but two batteries and a couple jumper cables and welding rods can really help out on the trail! Count me in!
Old 11-30-2016, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Starting over.....Again!

I am currently on my 5th Jeep! It all began a few years ago with my 2002, to a 2012, 2007 JKU, 2010 and just recently upgraded to a 2015 Sahara. With each one, I've had to suffer the loss of those parts you bolt on and then forget to keep the old ones. So, with my 2015, and favorite so far, I'm starting over. The list of parts lost (or gained by the next buyer) is too long. The current build list however, much shorter....I've upgraded the bumper. But with every one along the way, there have been great memories, fundraisers and Great people along the way! Cheers!

Quick Reply: Winner Announced - JDaPP: Genesis Off Road Dual Battery System Giveaway