Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

after wheeling???

Old 04-11-2010, 01:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after wheeling???

i was wondering what maintenance people do after they take there jeep wheeling? or what are just somethings to look for after you get off the trails????
Old 04-11-2010, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

It depends on where I've been wheeling----how off road so to speak...

At the trail: Air back in tires, check for anything loose, inspect for bolts, nuts that have come out of place, check for any parts that are missing (lost a steering stabilizer once--don't know where it went). If it was a rough trail (extreme type) then I will check welds too (I broke the track bar mount once).

On the drive back home: Steering, any pulling flightiness etc. BAS, etc lights come on, and steering wheel is off center---then adjust the drag link to put it back to center. Check to see that tie rod isn't bent.

The next day, I will look under the hood and under the jeep for fluids

I'll take it in to have it aligned, and check out if I have really beat it up.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

It depends on where I've been wheeling----how off road so to speak...

At the trail: Air back in tires, check for anything loose, inspect for bolts, nuts that have come out of place, check for any parts that are missing (lost a steering stabilizer once--don't know where it went). If it was a rough trail (extreme type) then I will check welds too (I broke the track bar mount once).

On the drive back home: Steering, any pulling flightiness etc. BAS, etc lights come on, and steering wheel is off center---then adjust the drag link to put it back to center. Check to see that tie rod isn't bent.

The next day, I will look under the hood and under the jeep for fluids

I'll take it in to have it aligned, and check out everything at the shop if I have really beat it up.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Besides putting air back in the tires, I do an oil check and look underneath for anything our of sorts.

Then if there was any mud involved I look for a car wash to get the crud away from the wheels and brakes.

Then usually we all stop for a
Old 04-11-2010, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll crawl underneath and check the areas that may have scrapped. I look for fresh leaks as well as lose or missing nuts and bolts. I try and inspect once before I clean the underside ( cause its easier to see what scrapped) and more throughly after I pressure wash the underside.
Tom
Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dont forget to pick up your girlfriend who was too scared to go with you & is back in camp......
Old 04-18-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiconRed_Flagstaff
Dont forget to pick up your girlfriend who was too scared to go with you & is back in camp......
agreed!

I like to give my Jeep a wash and i like to go over bolts and hinges with grease or WD-40 just to displace any moisture or water that has accumulated. There's a lot of mud where i live so i like to clean it all out of the tight spaces, especially around my shocks and bumpers!, but like it was said before, it really depends on the type of wheeling you do.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta say X2... It all depends.

Just clean it up and inspect for loose bolts and bent parts.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I like to check the driveshafts also for grass and sticks that get wrapped up in there.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

After going in the mud pools. The engines all muddy, how do you guys take care of this? Take out battery and cover the alternator and give it a hard spray down?

Thanks,

Pluke -

Quick Reply: after wheeling???