Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Am i rubicon ready??

Old 06-10-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i rubicon ready??

Rather than bore you with my mods just read the signature.

So in July I want to run the rubicon from Tahoe down (i think that is the normal direction). I did about 50% of it in my old ZJ but it was getting late and we turned back as it was my DD and could not afford to get in a pickle.

I more than likely will run it alone. I need to know if my 4door rubi with 34"s which are technically 33's as well as my other equip. will suffice. I need to know how long is it from start to finish. I need to know is there any areas that you absolutly need a spotter? Any other advise you may have. I know never wheel alone i asked for that one, anyway lets here it.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never run it, but being familiar with those who have I can tell you that you could probably get through. With that said, I wouldn't recommend doing any trail by yourself, let alone the Rubicon. Even someone twice as built as you could end up suffering a breakage and being stranded. I know that trail sees a lot of traffic, so you could feasibly wait and flag someone down-- but, it's always better to have a least one other vehicle along with you. And I know you said you know it but, really, it's more important than you may think.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

yeah i here that i am hoping i can convince tripplejeep 99 to come down from Canada to hang with me and the fam in Tahoe. Nothing like doing 2500 miles for your friends, anyway at this point that is my only trail buddy, I suppose as it gets closer i could see if there is interest, but i have not booked anything yet and I am still working the details. I am sure some of those Norcal boys have some input.....
Old 06-10-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

You should post in the NorCal forum I am sure there are some guys that would run it with you!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ElovesC
You should post in the NorCal forum I am sure there are some guys that would run it with you!

I will as dates are firmed.

I have run John Bull I wonder if the Bull compares...
Old 06-10-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

i will run it with you. on my honda CRF 450> now thats a brother
Old 06-10-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

depending on your driving skills you should be able to make it
Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

I would give you a firm YES for giving it a go

Remember to bring some W.A.G bags with you.

And hopefully the trail get dry up a bit it was slippery over the weekend we were there.

Last edited by MBATF; 06-10-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've run the Rubicon about 25x. The most interesting trip was post vendor day in Georgetown, running from Wentworth to Rubicon Springs by moonlight. 1 car, no stopping, spotting or getting lost, the trip took about 3 hours. (TJ with 60s and 37s)

The common direction for Rubicon is from Loon Lake to Tahoe.

Asking if you can isn't the right question. Should you? The answer is dependent upon your skill level. Rubicon isn't hard, its relentless. Run complete its nearly 18 miles of trail. Will the car do it? Sure.

The issue of spotting is really up to you. I don't do spotters on trailrides. Wheelin' isn't a group sport.

Last edited by Sethmark; 06-10-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

I have been 4 wheelin for about 15 years and I would rate my skill level at moderate to high. How long to run daylight hours. Will it be a problem to go from tahoe?

Quick Reply: Am i rubicon ready??