Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

clutch VS water

Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
It's your Jeep....
I am aware of that.

Are you at least willing to admit that your statement does not hold water? There are plenty of people (prob 95% or more) that wheel through water and don't have to replace the clutch every three years.....or ever for many. Shit, I my buddy's TJ is 10 years old and it has the original clutch, runs just fine. I just don't like that you come on an off-roading forum and tell someone false info, then say...."it's your JEEP." The implication is that I am going to have imminent clutch failure. This is not true. You have fallen into a trap that many people do on forums. You have a point (that's not to far off I acknowledge)....yet you make an EXTREME STATEMENT to try and prove your point. "Mud in your transmission.....don't expect to keep the same clutch for more than 3 years." B*llSh*t!

Learn about the terrain your are in and how to drive through it, and act accordingly. Sure, someone can get on here and say wheeling your JEEP is bad for it period. Well, I guess I shouldn't drive my sports car fast or shoot my gun either....wouldn't want to mess anything up.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red
I guess I'm not all to worried about the clutch lasting for the life of the vehicle. It is a wear item, like breaks. An afternoon and a couple of beers swaping out the clutch every 3 years isn't the end of the world. And I expect that the clutch will last long past 3 years.

As far as the transmission, well, I got a new one after 16000 miles. Gotta love the lifetime drive train warranty. However, the tranny failure had nothing to do with driving in water, it was a material failure.
Anytime you get beers and working on your JEEP involved that's a good time. Just remember why you got a JEEP and have fun. However, if you are serious about water (idk depth where you are) look into a snorkel....and RAISE YOUR BREATHERS. That is such an easy mod, and is such a good one to do.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Red
...The problem with a manual and water is that the clutch housing is open allowing water to get in...
Nobody has been able to explain to me WHY the clutch housing is open.
Does it need a bunch of fresh air venting through it for cooling?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

That is a good question.......
Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
I am aware of that.

Are you at least willing to admit that your statement does not hold water? There are plenty of people (prob 95% or more) that wheel through water and don't have to replace the clutch every three years.....or ever for many. Shit, I my buddy's TJ is 10 years old and it has the original clutch, runs just fine. I just don't like that you come on an off-roading forum and tell someone false info, then say...."it's your JEEP." The implication is that I am going to have imminent clutch failure. This is not true. You have fallen into a trap that many people do on forums. You have a point (that's not to far off I acknowledge)....yet you make an EXTREME STATEMENT to try and prove your point. "Mud in your transmission.....don't expect to keep the same clutch for more than 3 years." B*llSh*t!

Learn about the terrain your are in and how to drive through it, and act accordingly. Sure, someone can get on here and say wheeling your JEEP is bad for it period. Well, I guess I shouldn't drive my sports car fast or shoot my gun either....wouldn't want to mess anything up.
X2

This is my third manual Wrangler. I have never had any problems with any of my clutches and I lived in Florida for 11 years. Heck, my JK has been up the the fenders (close to the top) in muddy water many times over the last 3 years and I have never had a problem.

In my first two wranglers I have shifted gears through the water without any issues. That said, my 90 YJ bell housing was completed enclosed so its not a fair statement... but my 95 YJ does breath and I have not had any issues with that one.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Stay out of deep water. Deep water is for auto transmission.
This statement just plain doesn't hold water. (pun intended)

As a manual owner that's found himself in some relatively deep water, I'm with all of the other posters who have stated that if you keep your wits about you and shift using the key instead of the clutch, you'll be just fine.

If you want to deal with water that is actually deep (regardless of what transmission you have), then extend your breather tubes, get rid of your carpet, learn where your drain plugs are, buy a snorkel, pick up some dielectric grease...and remember that even with all that , you're still not driving a submarine.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by w squared
This statement just plain doesn't hold water. (pun intended)

As a manual owner that's found himself in some relatively deep water, I'm with all of the other posters who have stated that if you keep your wits about you and shift using the key instead of the clutch, you'll be just fine.

If you want to deal with water that is actually deep (regardless of what transmission you have), then extend your breather tubes, get rid of your carpet, learn where your drain plugs are, buy a snorkel, pick up some dielectric grease...and remember that even with all that , you're still not driving a submarine.
X2 on this...just have to be smart on which gear you are in and be sure you are in 4LO and have an idea which line you want to take to cross.

Quick Reply: clutch VS water