Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

The front of my Jeep is “Jacking” itself up

Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont want to be this dudes savior, but this is a place to come and ask questions. Sure, its a basic question for such a built Jeep, but regardless... thats what this place is for. So go easy you go big bullies! lol
Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

That vid is crazy. Im sure he can always sell that rig in Compton.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

I suppose next time I won't ask.

As for 4 Wheel Parts, there's a list of crap that they broke on this thing while putting it together, such as only tac welding the upper front control link. They backed it out of the bay, and SNAP, there went the coil overs. Incorrectly adjusting the camber/caster, blowing out the Dynatrac Ball joints. I had to go to another shop just to get the geometry fixed. The front axle was so off it was hitting the oil pan... And there's more.

So next time i need help, I won't be coming here. Thanks to all that did offer help.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's "jacking up" because you are torquing the front axle severely.
You are damn lucky you haven't broken something yet.
Even with the same size tires and same gears in each differential there are enough small differences to create a difference rolling distances between the front and rear axles.
On dirt that difference is made up for by slippage of the wheels. That doesn't happen as easily on pavement and can build up enough to where something has to give. It can be a universal joint, or drive shaft or even the transfer case.
So, no 4wd on dry pavement, not even a little.
Good luck.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not that you should feel you cant come here to ask questions... we are always glad we can help. Some people may sound a bit harsh but its all just poking fun. I think it was primarily a lot of us were just taken back by the amount of money that is in this rig and to most of us how obvious the answer was. We just didnt want that beautiful rig getting destroyed.

Originally Posted by bhardy
I suppose next time I won't ask.

As for 4 Wheel Parts, there's a list of crap that they broke on this thing while putting it together, such as only tac welding the upper front control link. They backed it out of the bay, and SNAP, there went the coil overs. Incorrectly adjusting the camber/caster, blowing out the Dynatrac Ball joints. I had to go to another shop just to get the geometry fixed. The front axle was so off it was hitting the oil pan... And there's more.

So next time i need help, I won't be coming here. Thanks to all that did offer help.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok ok, youre not supposed to drive in 4wd on pavement, but the guy has a 7 or 8 thousand dollar axle in the front, shouldnt it be strong enough to handle it?

I wheel and Katemcy as much as i can and roll around on that stuff thats has to be worse than pavement all day in 4 wd, is everyone saying that i should not use 4 wd?

Also, not to be one of those jack asses that try to point out every detail, but it looks like the steering stabilizer clamp should be slid over to the drivers side a little.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
Ok ok, youre not supposed to drive in 4wd on pavement, but the guy has a 7 or 8 thousand dollar axle in the front, shouldnt it be strong enough to handle it?

I wheel and Katemcy as much as i can and roll around on that stuff thats has to be worse than pavement all day in 4 wd, is everyone saying that i should not use 4 wd?

Also, not to be one of those jack asses that try to point out every detail, but it looks like the steering stabilizer clamp should be slid over to the drivers side a little.
The axle strength doesn't do anything to help the t-case.

If you were in a dry, paved parking lot, and were in 4wd, and wanted to turn into a parking space, would you take it out of 4wd to make the turn?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
It's actually right where it should be.... now. It was about an inch towards to the passenger, it was just recently moved. But thank you for saying so.

Originally Posted by brandonbooth
Its not that you should feel you cant come here to ask questions... we are always glad we can help. Some people may sound a bit harsh but its all just poking fun. I think it was primarily a lot of us were just taken back by the amount of money that is in this rig and to most of us how obvious the answer was. We just didnt want that beautiful rig getting destroyed.
I guess your right, some people can be harsh. I always treat this Jeep with care... unless I'm on the trail. I tend to abuse the piss out of it. I'm on my 3rd Tie Rod...

Originally Posted by ChopN
That vid is crazy. Im sure he can always sell that rig in Compton.
Yes it will sell in Compton, because I have Orange Neon's on it... feel free to poke more fun...

--------------------

Another word on 4WP, I may be tired of their BS, but they have ALWAYS done their absolute best to take care of me. Anything they broke, they fixed for free. Anything I broke, they fixed for free.

It's just that some of their solutions to previous problems were unwarranted and more of a patch than an absolute fix. I think my Jeep outgrew the capability of their shop techs.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brandonbooth
X2
Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just my two cents if you have not fixed your problem

As stated above
"Dose it only do this turning on dry pavement?"

If the answer is: yes *insert your own "here's your sign" joke*
If the answer is: No it does this driving a straight line down a trial.

You sir have a problem other than user error. Im sure the Mfg. will get you fixed up and answer any other questions you have.

After this is done and there are no problems found in the suspension. I would start looking at gears, ESP or anything that may make you front axle move slower than the rear when you are in 4WD(this problem could be hidden on surfaces with poor traction?)

Sense it really changed when you made a turn in 4WD on a dry surface i think you already have answered your own question.

Last edited by The_Yeti; 01-18-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Quick Reply: The front of my Jeep is “Jacking” itself up