Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

how dangerous is pulling someone out?

Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adicus8
What do you use to pull people? Chains? I was planning on using my ARB snatch strap... I saw a couple trucks with trailers stuck, and i was tempted to give them some help but people recommended not doing that due to law suits and what not...
I use a standard tow strap. It's easier to carry that around than chains. I've actually made a few bucks pulling people out. There was one dude stuck at the entry in an Escalade, I pulled him out pretty easily and he insisted he give me a $20. I've never heard of anybody getting sued or anything like that. I imagine that would be a pretty tough case to win. They wanted the help.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a standard 40' tow strap too. As long as you have strong tow points, all good
Old 10-14-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to pull people out until a Yukon slammed on the brakes while I was pulling him out and broke my drive shaft on a Toyota truck. Now I will help you drop air pressure or push but no more pulling anybody out for me.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Lex
JK Newbie

I always give people a hand if I can. If I was stuck and needed help I hate it off they just drove off. And I'd call them a cu@t. But I always tell them if something breaks its not my responsibility and only do so if they agree.

I did damage a guy's car once at a festival. Fully loaded transit van stuck in a camp site in a minor muddy dip. Was meant to be an easy pull, attaching to his front tie down loops. But because i was on higher ground than him when the snatch tightened it pulled the shackle upwards into his radiator.

I felt bad, but he asked for the help. All care no responsibility.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 PM
JK Freak

the possibility of me helping someone out is entirely dependent on their attitude and how i read them. as a kid, i used to go up to big bear every time it snowed hard, just for the fun of pulling people out. i never met an ungrateful person and always had fun. At the other end of the spectrum, a couple of years ago i tried to help a guy i watched making his situation worse for about 30 min. when i finally decided to start helping him with some friendly advise,, his tires were fully inflated, i suggested he air down,,, he yelled at me and told me he didn't need to. I walked away as i yelled ,, "good luck!" that was at pismo. i generally don't like the pismo crowd. rude, inconsiderate, and leave loads of trash all over the beach. in closing,, do what you think is right, and think it through,, you will be fine.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mvnolan
It's not that "reverse gears aren't built as strong", it's the design of your ring and pinion that makes pulling someone out in reverse a very bad idea. It's too much to explain here, but your ring and pinion in your diffs are designed to withstand pretty substantial force moving forward, but in reverse the design actually works against itself and is exponentially more likely to fail under a heavy load. I'm probably a little over protective of my diffs, to the point if I am backing up a trailer, I do it in 4lo and very slowly. Long story short, don't try to pull out anything bigger than your Jeep, and even then, nothing buried very deep. Good luck, and have fun.
you have unknowingly just increased the strain on your ring and pinion by going into 4low.

If you stay in 4 hi the motor and transmission will let you feel the strain on the Jeep but by going into 4low the gearing will put more force onto the diffs than you may realize.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just don't be THIS guy... (skip to 1:00 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjWEv8pGWY
Old 11-04-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been offroading for over 30 years, and I've pulled out people for about 25 years. Here is stuff I've learned over the years.

1) assume the stuck people don't know what they are doing. - I once tried to snatch a guy out, and he was in reverse...- Don't assume anything
2) Don't try and go straight to a snatch. Dig out around the tires, unhook the trailer, put wood under the tires, make them air down to 20 psi. If they won' t then leave them. If you are going to risk $2500 in repairs, the least they should do is lower their air pressure.
3) Use the snatch strap as a last resort. With my 69 CJ5, I eventually broke the front diff gear, the rear diff gear, the transfer case ( yes the case snapped in half), and my warn overdrive threw a tooth. - None of these things happened during the pull, but a week later, something would break.
4) If you don't know what you are doing, don't. I've seen a lifted F150 on 40 inch tires rip the front bumper off of an RV at pismo. The bumper flew over the top of the truck. He was lucky no one was killed.
5) A tow strap is not a snatch strap. A snatch strap will stretch, a tow strap won't. The stretch is a key part of a successfull pull in deep sand. I've pulled out dozens of stuck RVs. Some were very deeply stuck . I used a 1 1/2 nylon mooring line. It started at 50 ft long, and would stretch. One time It must have gotten to be 70 feet long, and the jeep pulling it stalled, and the tug and the rubber band effect pulled out the RV.
6) Don't go too fast, just give them enough bump go get started, When they see the rope get tight they should hammer down, the bump and the low tire pressure should get them out of the hole.

- Start with small jobs. Don't go straight to the 30K ton RV.
Just this weekend I went camping with my parents and their 40ft dual slide RV. They got stuck in the sand. I brought the big rope, but we lowered the air pressure from 85 psi to 40, put a few pieces of wood under the tires and got them out under their own power.

Tom
Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeep_n_co
Just don't be THIS guy... (skip to 1:00 mark)
I didn't listen to the sound... but the video itself was funny... stupid people are everywhere!!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Socal Tom
I've been offroading for over 30 years, and I've pulled out people for about 25 years. Here is stuff I've learned over the years.

1) assume the stuck people don't know what they are doing. - I once tried to snatch a guy out, and he was in reverse...- Don't assume anything
2) Don't try and go straight to a snatch. Dig out around the tires, unhook the trailer, put wood under the tires, make them air down to 20 psi. If they won' t then leave them. If you are going to risk $2500 in repairs, the least they should do is lower their air pressure.
3) Use the snatch strap as a last resort. With my 69 CJ5, I eventually broke the front diff gear, the rear diff gear, the transfer case ( yes the case snapped in half), and my warn overdrive threw a tooth. - None of these things happened during the pull, but a week later, something would break.
4) If you don't know what you are doing, don't. I've seen a lifted F150 on 40 inch tires rip the front bumper off of an RV at pismo. The bumper flew over the top of the truck. He was lucky no one was killed.
5) A tow strap is not a snatch strap. A snatch strap will stretch, a tow strap won't. The stretch is a key part of a successfull pull in deep sand. I've pulled out dozens of stuck RVs. Some were very deeply stuck . I used a 1 1/2 nylon mooring line. It started at 50 ft long, and would stretch. One time It must have gotten to be 70 feet long, and the jeep pulling it stalled, and the tug and the rubber band effect pulled out the RV.
6) Don't go too fast, just give them enough bump go get started, When they see the rope get tight they should hammer down, the bump and the low tire pressure should get them out of the hole.

- Start with small jobs. Don't go straight to the 30K ton RV.
Just this weekend I went camping with my parents and their 40ft dual slide RV. They got stuck in the sand. I brought the big rope, but we lowered the air pressure from 85 psi to 40, put a few pieces of wood under the tires and got them out under their own power.

Tom
This is so true. I have more than once seen people screw up their vehicles because they were too lazy to do any prep work like digging out, airing down, or putting a solid surface under the wheels. If it's setting on the frame and they will not "man a shovel", walk away from those guys and watch the show from a safe distance.

Quick Reply: how dangerous is pulling someone out?