Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

How to detach recovery straps from themselves

Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gforce!
Then, what is the right way? I thought you weren't supposed to connect them at all...
You want to put something non abrasive inbetween them such as a news paper. Most folks, at least on youtube videos... seem to do it the bad way. You should never connect straps together with nothing in between or the worst possible case, shackles or something metal, that is just dangerous and asking for trouble. But strap to strap with something like a dowel as Rubi mentioned is fine. I like softer items such as a newspaper so it is less of a projectile if something snaps.

Originally Posted by SKTN Rubi
Rolled up newspaper works the same as a dowel.

Try squishing the knot in a bench vise might work it enough to loosen a little to get a pry rod in there.

Sent from my recliner
Thats what I would do, try and work the knot a bit. Its going to be a pain regardless ... BUT at least it will cause you enough grief you will remember easily for next time lol

Quick Reply: How to detach recovery straps from themselves