Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

How should I prepare for Colorado?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dzine07
Ranger - Awesome thanks again for taking the time to post this. This post should be a sticky because i'm sure I'm not the first or the last to ask for this.

regarding H).. you mentioned not considering the Alpine loop (which is what i was i planning on) could you suggest 2-3 trails i should consider? Yankee boy basin is a must from what i hear and also black bear if the day is right. Gravel roads are fun but some small rocks don't scare me. looking for breathtaking views, possible camping in the mountains a night and supporting the small nearby towns. As i build my expedition JK these are the types of trips i'm looking forward to. I love this stuff!

What kind of Jeep do you have and what things do you like to do in CO? pics?!

I mentioned this, (h) because you have limited time in the San Juans. In my first post, I mentioned leaving Ouray & going up Mineral Creek/Engineer Pass Road, (trail head - about 3 miles south of town). Put your Jeep in 4WD and air down as soon as you turn off Hwy. The first 2-1/2 miles are the roughest......perfect for a Jeep. Continue past the San Juan Chief Mill, (you can turn off and walk around the site). About 2-3 miles past the mill you'll find an intersection, (clearly marked). I suggest you go left, towards Engineer Pass. Continue on to OH Point, (big turn out to your left). If you get out at the look out, you can see over 100 miles on a clear day.....beautiful views. If you want a picture at the Engineer Pass sign, it's just past OH point, 12,800'. Recommend you take a picture, go back down the way you came, all the way back to the intersection and then turn left towards Amimas Forks and Silverton. Animas Forks is a ghost town at the 11,000' level. It's worth your time to walk around and take pictures. Continue on to Silverton, shop around, air up your tires for free at the Conoco gas station and head back to Ouray on Hwy 550.

Another day.....leave Ouray heading south on Hwy 550. Go about 5 miles, past the snow slide, past the double S curves, past Crystal Lake to the old Ironton town site, (first left turn past the lake). This is the Corkscrew pass trail head. Air down and put your Jeep in 4WD. Go over Corkscrew Pass, on to Hurricane Pass, (a left at the fork, don't turn towards Gladstone / Silverton). At the top of Hurricane Pass there is a turn out to your left. Take the turn out, look down on Lake Como. The trail going past Lake Como is Poughkeepsie trail. Get back on trail, continue on to California Pass, down into California Basin. About the end of the basin you'll see a sign that identifies the trail to the right as Picayunne & Placer gulch....take the trail to the right. As you are going on the trail, you'll see remains of all kinds of mine activity. (Animas Forks is just over the mountain to your left.) A couple of miles past the intersection, you can see a large building on your left. It is the Sound Democrat mill site. If you go just past the mill, there will be a turn off to the left that will take you down to the mill. It is a preserved site and is really interesting. Because it is a hammer, (or stamp) mill, it identifies it as one of the oldest in the area. (Stamp mills later replaced with ball mills.) Stay on the trail and it will take you back to the county road that takes you back to Silverton. Air up and head back to Ouray on the Highway, (24 miles...about 50 minutes to and hour drive).

If you want to camp, I suggest you head out of Ouray on CR-361 and head to Imogene Pass. Don't take the shortcut through the lower Camp Bird mine.....stay right and go past the over hang rock to the intersection that points left to go to Imogene Pass. (Caution, traffic from town to this point can be heavy....there are two working mines....the Camp Bird and Revenue - just go slow and you'll have no problems). Go over Imogene Pass, (13,100'), down past the Tom Boy mine complex and into Telluride. Just after you re-enter the woods on your way down, if you look left you can see the Black Bear switchbacks and Bridal Veil Falls. Tour Telluride, ride the gondola to Mountain Village and return, (its free and the views are great). Leave Telluride and at the far end of town, take a left towards Mountain Village and Lizard head pass. There is a Conoco station just past the turn off where you can air up your tires. Past Mountain village, follow the sign to Alta Lakes....a great place to camp. Next morning, when you get back on the highway, turn left, go a couple of miles and turn left to Ophir and Ophir Pass, (easy but beautiful trail). You'll end up on hwy 550, about 4 miles north of Silverton. Turn left and just after getting on highway, prepare to turn right on CR-114, (Brooklyn Mine road). At the top of the trail, before heading down, walk out on the point. You'll be looking down on the Chattanooga Loop. Just before you get back into the timber line, there are view points to your left. You can see Porphrey Basin and the beginning of Black Bear trail. There's waterfalls over there too, but may not be very large in September. It is an easy trail that will end up back on Hwy 550 at Red Mountain Pass. Turn right, onto Hwy 550, towards Ouray. About 1/4 mile past your turn, take the trail to the right, CR-31. This is the Red Mountain mining district....lots of mine sites, great views and picture taking opportunities. This trail will end up back on Hwy 550. Turn Right to go back to Ouray.

Those are four full days. You can work Black Bear into there on another day. I suggest you go over Black Bear, (if you want to) visit Telluride, (the city park is a great place for picnic lunch). After leaving town, take the airport exit to the right and Last Dollar Road. It is an easy, scenic trail. A good one to end your week and get ready for the ride back home. Last Dollar road ends up on Hwy 62. Take a right, go to Ridgway and back to Ouray. If you have more than a week, let me know. (Moab is only 3-1/2 hours from Ouray....going there next week.)

If you choose to come from Colorado Springs and take Hwy 115, (exit 140 & I-25) about 10 minutes after leaving Canon City, (now on hwy 50) you can take a break and see the Royal Gorge bridge, zip line or raft before continuing west to Salida, Monarch Pass, Gunnison, Montrose, then south of hwy 550 to Ouray. It really is much better and shorter than the I-70 route.

I like to hike, mountain bike and Jeep. If you want to do some day hikes, I can suggest several. I sold my rock crawler and Scrambler last September and bought a new JKUR. Trying hard to keep it stock as I like the 20 mpg, good ride, and quiet(er). As it is, it is very capable off road.....just have to be able to pick best line, armor up and try to remain practical. No pix....I just about gave up on the whole photo bucket process, (I might soften up and post a few later). Charles Wells Book and Masseys book are available from Amazon.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ranger492
I mentioned this, (h) because you have limited time in the San Juans. In my first post, I mentioned leaving Ouray & going up Mineral Creek/Engineer Pass Road, (trail head - about 3 miles south of town). Put your Jeep in 4WD and air down as soon as you turn off Hwy. The first 2-1/2 miles are the roughest......perfect for a Jeep. Continue past the San Juan Chief Mill, (you can turn off and walk around the site). About 2-3 miles past the mill you'll find an intersection, (clearly marked). I suggest you go left, towards Engineer Pass. Continue on to OH Point, (big turn out to your left). If you get out at the look out, you can see over 100 miles on a clear day.....beautiful views. If you want a picture at the Engineer Pass sign, it's just past OH point, 12,800'. Recommend you take a picture, go back down the way you came, all the way back to the intersection and then turn left towards Amimas Forks and Silverton. Animas Forks is a ghost town at the 11,000' level. It's worth your time to walk around and take pictures. Continue on to Silverton, shop around, air up your tires for free at the Conoco gas station and head back to Ouray on Hwy 550.

Another day.....leave Ouray heading south on Hwy 550. Go about 5 miles, past the snow slide, past the double S curves, past Crystal Lake to the old Ironton town site, (first left turn past the lake). This is the Corkscrew pass trail head. Air down and put your Jeep in 4WD. Go over Corkscrew Pass, on to Hurricane Pass, (a left at the fork, don't turn towards Gladstone / Silverton). At the top of Hurricane Pass there is a turn out to your left. Take the turn out, look down on Lake Como. The trail going past Lake Como is Poughkeepsie trail. Get back on trail, continue on to California Pass, down into California Basin. About the end of the basin you'll see a sign that identifies the trail to the right as Picayunne & Placer gulch....take the trail to the right. As you are going on the trail, you'll see remains of all kinds of mine activity. (Animas Forks is just over the mountain to your left.) A couple of miles past the intersection, you can see a large building on your left. It is the Sound Democrat mill site. If you go just past the mill, there will be a turn off to the left that will take you down to the mill. It is a preserved site and is really interesting. Because it is a hammer, (or stamp) mill, it identifies it as one of the oldest in the area. (Stamp mills later replaced with ball mills.) Stay on the trail and it will take you back to the county road that takes you back to Silverton. Air up and head back to Ouray on the Highway, (24 miles...about 50 minutes to and hour drive).

If you want to camp, I suggest you head out of Ouray on CR-361 and head to Imogene Pass. Don't take the shortcut through the lower Camp Bird mine.....stay right and go past the over hang rock to the intersection that points left to go to Imogene Pass. (Caution, traffic from town to this point can be heavy....there are two working mines....the Camp Bird and Revenue - just go slow and you'll have no problems). Go over Imogene Pass, (13,100'), down past the Tom Boy mine complex and into Telluride. Just after you re-enter the woods on your way down, if you look left you can see the Black Bear switchbacks and Bridal Veil Falls. Tour Telluride, ride the gondola to Mountain Village and return, (its free and the views are great). Leave Telluride and at the far end of town, take a left towards Mountain Village and Lizard head pass. There is a Conoco station just past the turn off where you can air up your tires. Past Mountain village, follow the sign to Alta Lakes....a great place to camp. Next morning, when you get back on the highway, turn left, go a couple of miles and turn left to Ophir and Ophir Pass, (easy but beautiful trail). You'll end up on hwy 550, about 4 miles north of Silverton. Turn left and just after getting on highway, prepare to turn right on CR-114, (Brooklyn Mine road). At the top of the trail, before heading down, walk out on the point. You'll be looking down on the Chattanooga Loop. Just before you get back into the timber line, there are view points to your left. You can see Porphrey Basin and the beginning of Black Bear trail. There's waterfalls over there too, but may not be very large in September. It is an easy trail that will end up back on Hwy 550 at Red Mountain Pass. Turn right, onto Hwy 550, towards Ouray. About 1/4 mile past your turn, take the trail to the right, CR-31. This is the Red Mountain mining district....lots of mine sites, great views and picture taking opportunities. This trail will end up back on Hwy 550. Turn Right to go back to Ouray.

Those are four full days. You can work Black Bear into there on another day. I suggest you go over Black Bear, (if you want to) visit Telluride, (the city park is a great place for picnic lunch). After leaving town, take the airport exit to the right and Last Dollar Road. It is an easy, scenic trail. A good one to end your week and get ready for the ride back home. Last Dollar road ends up on Hwy 62. Take a right, go to Ridgway and back to Ouray. If you have more than a week, let me know. (Moab is only 3-1/2 hours from Ouray....going there next week.)

If you choose to come from Colorado Springs and take Hwy 115, (exit 140 & I-25) about 10 minutes after leaving Canon City, (now on hwy 50) you can take a break and see the Royal Gorge bridge, zip line or raft before continuing west to Salida, Monarch Pass, Gunnison, Montrose, then south of hwy 550 to Ouray. It really is much better and shorter than the I-70 route.

I like to hike, mountain bike and Jeep. If you want to do some day hikes, I can suggest several. I sold my rock crawler and Scrambler last September and bought a new JKUR. Trying hard to keep it stock as I like the 20 mpg, good ride, and quiet(er). As it is, it is very capable off road.....just have to be able to pick best line, armor up and try to remain practical. No pix....I just about gave up on the whole photo bucket process, (I might soften up and post a few later). Charles Wells Book and Masseys book are available from Amazon.

Ranger -I've read your post several times THANK YOU. Great advice and I like how you laid everything out very helpful.

I'll look at a map tonight and order the Well's book like you suggested. the third edition is $20 more than the first edition does it matter or should i get the third because it's the most recent?

Not sure if you drink but when i stop through CO I'll let you know so i can buy you a or !!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Better time to visit the San Juan's?

Can you guys from Colorado comment on the weather in the San Juan mountains? Cold, hot, rainy? Particularly Ouray, Silverton area and the Alpine loop?

I'm asking because i'm flexible around August or beginning of September (Labor day perhaps). Trying to block in some dates around when some of the best weather is (even though i know thats unpredictable).
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 PM
JK Newbie

I just got done doing a trail there yesterday. Weather is nice now but gets chilly at night or when the wind picks up. I have hit a lot of trails all around Colorado Springs and anything within 3 hours. The best thing I can tell you for trails and how good or bad they are is one website.
Traildamage.com
Anything and everything you could want or need.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

I am taking a very similar trip the last week and a half in August. First time taking the rig out for a play date. For extra precaution I just ordered a front stubby and 10k winch (at least I told the wife it was necessary )

Will plan on posting some pics of the trails we hit.

Taking the trek from St. Louis myself.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

My wife is from Colorado and I am stationed in SoCal. Maybe I need to fly her out to her moms and take the scenic drive to meet her!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Only one problem....

Headed west....go through Salida, through Gunnison, then turn off in Cimmarron and take forest road 858 past Silver Jack Resevoir and over Owl Creek Pass.

Beautiful drive. Dumps you in Ridgeway which is half way between montrose and ouray.

Otherwise, great advice !

PS Owl creek pass is easy. Only requires 4WD (high range) if it is pouring down rain.

Tons of free places to camp past the resevoir. We're up there every August.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

That brings to mind that in addition to overlooking Lake Como you could go down to Lake Como, see the lake close up and then come back up the way you went down. That trail is fairly steep but I think is easily done in a stock Jeep. As I recall the rough part of Poughkeepsie is on the other side of Lake Como so if you turn around at the lake you wouldn't be going to that part.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgoptmst
My wife is from Colorado and I am stationed in SoCal. Maybe I need to fly her out to her moms and take the scenic drive to meet her!
Makes sense, similar to how we did it years ago. We had a wedding to go to in Denver and did the San Juans on the way there.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

I did engineer in a stock unlimited sport with the base model 16's about two weeks ago. I think I scraped rock 3 times. Possibly a bad line, but a stock Jeep can definitely do most if not anything out here. Hopefully my other vehicle will sell so I can buy tires and wheels! You already have tons of advise, so have fun! Shoot me a PM or post in here when you come out. It'd be fun to do a trail ride.

Last edited by UNFMoose; 06-06-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: How should I prepare for Colorado?