Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.
Sponsored by CARiD
Click Here

Manual or automatic?

Old 12-29-2017, 11:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Machoo View Post
... I trust about no one else driving my Jeep!Attachment 676725
I bet you'd trust Jack's dad to drive your Jeep, LOL.

Note to everyone: That's an inside joke. I made the mistake of questioning the credentials of Jack's dad to drive my own Jeep because it's a manual while in Anza Borrego a few years ago. Later I'd find out, with Machoo present, that Jack's dad is a two time winner of the 24 Hours of Daytona.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I bet you'd trust Jack's dad to drive your Jeep, LOL.

Note to everyone: That's an inside joke. I made the mistake of questioning the credentials of Jack's dad to drive my own Jeep because it's a manual while in Anza Borrego a few years ago. Later I'd find out, with Machoo present, that Jack's dad is a two time winner of the 24 Hours of Daytona.
Ok ok. For sure Nick would be ok taking over the wheel. For a short time at least! Haha!!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

It's funny how times and trends change, or perhaps I'm just getting older... 17 years ago I was poking fun at my buddy when he bought an auto TJ, now it seems like autos are every where on the trail.

I've always preferred manual transmissions, on road and off road. But now days, my legs tell me that an auto would be great... Maybe it goes back to that getting older thing I mentioned...
Old 01-03-2019, 02:19 PM
OME
JK Newbie

I drove YJ & TJ sticks from high school to college. Then I bought JKs one for me and another for my wife.
Getting a bit older now and my legs are weaker now and so I traded my two JK wranglers, both into auto trans. Legs are happier

Last edited by OME; 01-03-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

From all I have read, the JLUR or any JLU with the 8 spd auto has been outstanding. You can still shift it -- it still has a shift lever.. Your an experienced CJ5'er so I understand the question. It's your $.. get what you guys want.. and for all that stated aged legs.. I dread (fear that day) when I can't push the clutch (now in my mid 60s) and grab a gear.. My teenage son said it best after having to drive Mom's automatic.. how an people drive this it is NO Fun.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

I must be getting older too... until this JK... always had manual tranny.... I'm used to this auto now, and my feet and legs do like the auto in most driving situations. I have learned to drive the auto, take advantage of the benefits on the trail... use a brake wisely in conjunction with the gas... and now I would probably buy an auto without hesitation for offroad use.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

As a manual wheeler who is always with groups of people that are all autos, my take on the two is this:

Auto is objectively better, from a safety/control/ease of use standpoint.
Manual is objectively more fun and challenging.

3.6L manual Rubicon crawls just fine though, generally just put it in low gear for the technical stuff and go. It's slow enough that it's not really a problem, and tough to stall even with the stock 4.10 gearing on 35's. Not impossible... but it does take a little doing.

Quick Reply: Manual or automatic?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: