Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Manual or automatic?

Old 06-07-2019, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I still stand by my previous comment.

My Jeep is no longer my daily. It lives in the garage now, I got an Ecoboost F-150 as my DD.

While the 10-speed auto in the truck is the best auto tranny I have ever driven, that only brings it to the point of being tolerable. It still occasionally does stuff that agitates me. Even with 10 gears it would be better as a manual. I can skip shift better than it can.

The manual transmission in my Jeep is the primary reason I will never get rid of it. It's just better.

I have yet to find a single situation driving that a manual is not superior to an auto. Even our old back-up service truck (F-350 with a water well pulling unit on the back) at work, with the manual, is better than the brand new diesel auto trucks (F-550). Sure they have more power, but IMHO there is just something missing when a truck doesn't have a granny low first gear.

Keep rowing the gears if you've got em!

Happy Jeeping y'all!
Old 06-10-2019, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both my JK's were manuals and my Xterra is too. I wouldn't have it any other way. An auto would be easier in a lot of situations. But I absolutly love driving a stick. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When I bought my JK I insisted on a manual, sure most cars out accelerate me from a stop light, but down hill control and the ability to pick the gear i want is great. My other jeep was a 77 CJ with a T-18 so this is like butter smooth shifting to me.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I picked up an Auto because of a severe trama injury to my ankle..I started with manuals back when I learned to drive a 8n tractor in the late 50's. Getting old bites but I still get to see the sunrise every morning..
Old 06-14-2019, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just picked up my first manual. I rarely trail (I know I know pathetic), and I'm still thoroughly enjoying it with daily driving. I haven't owned a manual in several years so maybe I'm just forgetting, but it does seem to have a pretty lengthy clutch stroke. My other two JK's were auto's, and both did "OK" everywhere. I actually prefer the fact that I can control the "get up and go" with the up and down shifts. But who cares, it's fun as hell to drive! Go with what you think you'll be happiest with in the long run man, you won't go wrong with any Jeep!

Sam
Old 06-14-2019, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JacKed 8
I just picked up my first manual. I rarely trail (I know I know pathetic), and I'm still thoroughly enjoying it with daily driving. I haven't owned a manual in several years so maybe I'm just forgetting, but it does seem to have a pretty lengthy clutch stroke. My other two JK's were auto's, and both did "OK" everywhere. I actually prefer the fact that I can control the "get up and go" with the up and down shifts. But who cares, it's fun as hell to drive! Go with what you think you'll be happiest with in the long run man, you won't go wrong with any Jeep!

Sam
I had a FJ40 that I dropped a LT-1 in and did a bunch of mods to for trails and S&G fun. The one I have now is just for emergencies, I am getting to old to horse around much..
Old 10-28-2019, 03:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Float the gears?

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m a 18 year veteran truck driver.. I don’t use the clutch very often (except for when stopped or in certain downshifting situations). With normal driving, my JK manual let’s me “float the gears” without using the clutch. Saves the clutch AND my leg. But seriously, going from a semi into my jk, the clutch feels like a feather in comparison!

I’ll hold on to my manual for as long as I can.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My $.02

I have a Willy’s wheeler JKU with a manual. I enjoy the manual and most of my vehicles for the past 20yrs have been manual. If I had it to do over I’d probably get an auto. Mostly for a remote start and longer trips. There’s no real off-roading less than an 1-1/2hrs from my place. So driving on the road there’s times I wish I had an auto. On the upside since most trails around here aren’t that challenging having a manual adds to the fun.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Eastyn Rowan
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m a 18 year veteran truck driver.. I don’t use the clutch very often (except for when stopped or in certain downshifting situations). With normal driving, my JK manual let’s me “float the gears” without using the clutch. Saves the clutch AND my leg. But seriously, going from a semi into my jk, the clutch feels like a feather in comparison!

I’ll hold on to my manual for as long as I can.
Even though that works (for a talented driver), I think you'll wear out the synchros prematurely -- clutches are a lot cheaper.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your gear ratios are high enough, the manual JK will crawl just like the auto. Take your foot off the clutch, leave the gas alone, and watch it crawl. Without the rubi t case though, it’s hard to get low enough. I’m on 40s with 5.38 and the non-rubi t case, and I think an atlas is in my future.

Quick Reply: Manual or automatic?