Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Is night wheeling a bad idea?

Old 08-18-2015, 03:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by austinemiller
Plus without rock lights it almost impossible for someone to spot you over some difficult obstacles.
I love night wheeling. Rock lights are, in my opinion, a must for any technical night wheeling. The light up the terrain for the driver AND spotter to see what you're crawling on. I'm usually only parking lights and rock lights on when on an obstacle...because everything else blinds the hell out of your spotter. You've gotta trust their spot if/when you can't see as a driver.

All the Gucci lightbars (and I have a Rigid 50") were really designed for Baja applications, high-speed desert running where you need to be able to see far enough ahead of you. If you're rock crawling, you don't really need a lightbar that can see a mile down the road...you need to be able to light up when you're traversing.

ALSO, when in doubt, dismount. I've come up to places at night not knowing if the trail drops off a cliff or just into a small ditch. Get out and look before you leap if you don't have a ground guide/spotter.

Quick Reply: Is night wheeling a bad idea?