Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

off roading smart

Old 05-25-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkd3624
A few weeks ago I was. Riding with some friends and I said I was going to turn around because the trail was far to muddy and wet and no one was making it through and there was a fair amount of vehicle damage from stumps being done am I not a true jeeper for not wanting to risk body damage to my jeep if I know probability of it happening is higher than normal when off roading?? Also is it bad that usually once I get home I wash my jeep to help protect from excessive rust??
I may not be a true jeeper either then, because in the above scenerio, I would have also turned around. I often enjoy getting my Jeep muddy, but it is my baby and my DD, so I will not risk damage I can see coming just to try proving I can surmount any obstacle.

Keeping your Jeep clean is a good idea. I would wash my Jeep more if I lived on pavement. Given that our roads are either dust or muddy clay, it is kinda pointless. Usually if I get it real muddy off road, I leave the mud on and park in my favorite parking spot in the city parking lot where I work. It falls off in chunks as it dries, after a few rains I soon have an inch or so of nice country clay mud in that spot, which somehow after that is left reserved for me for the entire summer. So...mud is not all that bad.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like deep mud!!! There, I said it, now, if anyone does'nt like it, tuff!!! Not to say that I have'nt had to go through some deep shit to get to the other side!! I just don't like it...
I love to go wheeling!!! I am really into the more technical trails and rocks! but I don't push it if I don't like how it looks or feels.
I consider myself to be a moderately experienced wheeler, I do not call myself a pro of any kind!!! There are things that I look at and just don't feel comfortable doing! so I don't...
My jeep is not my DD, (I have a company truck for the DD), but I do drive it very often on the road because I enjoy driving it!
I built my Jeep as a solid trail rig, that does'nt mean I want to trash it!!!
I figure that if I sometimes "go around", that I have no reason to slam someone else for not wanting to do a particular obsticle, (not to say we don't do some friendly ribbing!).
It's you're Jeep, it's you're $$ you are spending to fix it up and fix it after!
Do what makes you happy, try new and bigger things to gain confidence and experience, just don't do it to prove to someone else you are a bad ass or something!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know what would be harder, getting through the mud or trying to understand your post. I know nowadays with the advent of spell check we've all become bad at spelling and grammar but geez that was painful! Had to read it twice to figure out what you were saying...

That said.... Don't baby your Jeep. Be a 1%er.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Hello to everyony! newbe here.Yep it's a Jeep thing! Haven't been in a Jeep since 1986, (shame on me) even had a 76 CJ. But with the purchase of a new JK 2011, I can not wait to get it off road. Won't be as crazy as I was back in the day, but do love on the road, off the road or in the rocks. As my everyday driver I'll be real careful!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rule number one don't do anything you don't want to. If ur gut is telling u no its prob not a good idea. I love rock but mud is fun and I do it some. I love the way the jeep looks muddy but always wash pretty quick because it just messes stuff up.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ilflyya
Nothing wrong with knowing your limits. People trash Jeeps and injure themselves because they don't know their limits (And sometimes they end up on Youtube with a million views).

When I flew airplanes, I was taught how to treat a plane. I was told to know my limits. I was told there are Old pilots and there are Bold Pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots. I was always told "Real pilots fly in weather". I flew in weather, but even I knew what kind of weather was my limit. One guy had a card with a square cut out in it. It said "Hold up to sky, if square is blue, then go fly, if not, then stay on the ground". These principles apply to Jeeps too, in my opinion.

Emotions can get the best of you in any situation. People will act out of fear, pride, and pressure. Our Jeeps are capable of a lot of things, but at what cost? If you're made of money and are safe, then do what you think you can afford. Whether or not your Jeep is a Daily Driver or strictly for the trails, take care of it and it will take care of you.

I personally don't wanna be stopped on a trail for hours trying to help someone out because they thought they'd be Mr. Cool and destroy their Jeep because they didn't know any limits. On the last two Wheeling trips I've been on, people have cut out early. It sucks cuz it's more fun with a larger group, but that's all. I don't give them crap, neither should anyone else. Those that do, usually don't know what they're talking about and don't understand that everyone has their limits. Kinda like 13th grade if you ask me. (yeah, that's how I really feel haha)
Well said.

Quick Reply: off roading smart