Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Offroad Equipment 101

Old 04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Offroad Equipment 101

Folks...I am offroad equipment illiterate. I have a stock JK-X. Ive been reading about all the offroad mods, but cant make heads or tails of what you guys are talking about. Sway bars? Pitman Rods? What the? It would be awesome if someone would show a few pics and explain what the mods are for and what advantages they lend! Thanks in advance!

Old 04-18-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't feel bad, we all started out like that, at some time or another.

I would maybe go through some of WoL's write ups and maybe others on here and read through them, I know some have really good pics and descriptions of the pics, so if like the description is talking about the control arm, and you see the pic of a guy holding up the control arm in place while bolting it, that should give you a little heads up on what stuff is.

And if something in particular that you need info on, just ask, there are tons of people on here that are willing to help.

Hope that helps, sorry i can't draw you a schematic of all the parts on the JK, although that would be a sweet thing for someone with WAY more time then me to do

The best way to learn is just ask.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

when it came to automotive terms and what not I have always personelly used answers.com as a dictionary, lol, they'll give yu very specific and detailed answers with images and sometimes even animations. utilize this site and you'll save countless bleeding hearts from looking up images and trying to explain some of this stuff. good luck and happy wanderings in your quest of knowledge.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

this thread will teach you about the sway bar links good info to know becuase you will need to disconnect off road

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/manual-swaybar-disconnect-non-rubicon-models-6167/
Old 04-18-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another relatively good and cheap source for information is to get a repair manual from your local auto parts store. about $17. Even if you do not plan to do any of your own repairs, they have good pics and usually label things fairly well.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TimmiT
Another relatively good and cheap source for information is to get a repair manual from your local auto parts store. about $17. Even if you do not plan to do any of your own repairs, they have good pics and usually label things fairly well.
They have those for JK's already? Like the Haynes books?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
They have those for JK's already? Like the Haynes books?
I looked for a while and was told that they're not out yet. I ended up buying a Chilton's manual for the 07-08 Chrysler Town and Country. Same motor = some of the same info, but not really helpful beyond that.

Sorry for the hijack. I'd definitely recommend just spending time looking at all the Project JK write-ups and the various threads on the forum, that's were I go if I need to learn something. Feel free to ask questions (after searching), they usually get answered quickly and knowledgeably.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Winyah
Folks...I am offroad equipment illiterate. I have a stock JK-X. Ive been reading about all the offroad mods, but cant make heads or tails of what you guys are talking about. Sway bars? Pitman Rods? What the? It would be awesome if someone would show a few pics and explain what the mods are for and what advantages they lend! Thanks in advance!

I'm not so much "offraod equipment illiterate" myself per-say. Thanks to this site, I'm more leaning towards the "Hook on phonics" stage.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

1. Stabilizer Links
Connects the stabilizer bar to the axle (see 4). Often disconnected using quick disconnects for greater axle articulation in offroad applications. The JK Rubicon model has an electronic disconnect that splits this bar in to selectably for the same purpose.

2. Shock Absorber
Keeps the axle and wheels from bouncing when hitting bumps. Also limits downward travel of the axle in come applications.

3. Upper Suspension (Control) Arm
Limits front to back movement along with the lower suspension arm, keeps the axle in place under the vehicle and does not allow them to rotate under torque. Allows the axle to move up and down.

4. Stabilizer Bar
This keeps the axle from allowing one wheel to drop more than another. Often disconnected using disconnecting links (see 1).

5. Coil spring

6. Jounce Bumper / Bump Stop
Limits the upper travel of the axle and keeps the axle from hitting the frame.

7. Lower Suspension (Control) Arm
Limits front to back movement along with the upper suspension arm, keeps the axle in place under the vehicle and does not allow them to rotate under torque. Allows the axle to move up and down.

8. Track Bar
Limits left to right movement of the axle and keeps the axle in place under the vehicle.

9. Axle and Differential
Axles connect the two wheels together to the drive shaft and body of the Jeep. The differential applies torque to both wheels simultaneously. However the simple design can allow spinning of one wheel unless lockers are used. Lockers mechanically lock the left and right wheels together.

10. Steering Stabilizer
A shock absorber designed to absorb bumps and keep all of the bumps on one wheel from turning the steering wheel.

11. Drag Link
Connects the steering to one wheel.

12. Tie Rod
Connects the two wheels together and allows steering forces from the drag link side to apply also to the other wheel.

13. Cross Member
A brace between the left and right sides of the frame. Usually used to mount drive train components (transmission, transfer case etc.).
Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

You also often hear of long-arm suspension. Well this is an aftermarket suspension system with long upper and lower control arms as shown.

Quick Reply: Offroad Equipment 101