Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Picking a good line

Old 06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get out of the Jeep and walk over the obstacle , you may get a different feel for what your Jeep will have to do. Then get past the obstacle and look back toward your jeep. Envision what your steps will be.......like where the first tire should be placed, what will happen then? Just plan it all the way through and use your spotters. Dont just use them, trust them! You cant see whats going on under there. Only trust your spotter! There are always idiots out there yelling a hundred things to you. Pick one and listen to them only.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Another thing we learned on our trip,...

If you are going to entrust someone to spot for you, trust him to spot you.

Or get out and check the line yourself (good idea when all are learning), but at some point, let go, and let your spotter get you thru the bad stuff.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK JEDI
What do you look for when picking a good line?
the line with the least amount of debris (tail lights, bumpers, exhaust, wheels, etc.)
Old 06-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by jeepsanddrums
Riding along with someone experienced is a great way to learn. Get out of the Jeep and act as a spotter. Note the lines they choose and how the Jeep reacts. Watching their suspension cycle through the rocks can really help you learn!
Originally Posted by huskerjk7
Get out of the Jeep and walk over the obstacle , you may get a different feel for what your Jeep will have to do. Then get past the obstacle and look back toward your jeep. Envision what your steps will be.......like where the first tire should be placed, what will happen then? Just plan it all the way through and use your spotters. Dont just use them, trust them! You cant see whats going on under there. Only trust your spotter! There are always idiots out there yelling a hundred things to you. Pick one and listen to them only.
I'm a big fan of watching other JK's as they pass through rockbeds etc.. this will help big time in learning how your suspension works as well as open your eyes to what is really going on under that JK of yours. Understanding how your vehicle moves over obstacles is an excellent learning expierience.

On our Last Chance Canyon run there were several follks trying to be spotters but there was only one I listen to ( TrailBud ) my decision to listen to him was based on the fact that he was in the lead and had no spotter Unfortunatly we had a H3 in the group that well lets just say got stuck at every obstacle.. not because of the spotter but the limitations on the vehicle
Old 06-13-2008, 05:07 PM
-

it is information that I have picked up over the years through trial and alot of error, but hey......... its all in fun! also remember is ok to be nervous just make sure you are safe and nervous. Dont push yourself or your jeep beyond its limits unless you are willing to pay the consequences. Those people up on hill above you beyond the obstacle have nothing to lose if you roll your Jeep and often yell and encourage you to do things beyond your comfort level,,,,,be strong and dont give into their need to see carnage!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

When picking a good line:

If you have that desease that makes your forget stuff.

You say to the chick at the bar......

"Do I come here often?"

Last edited by Smelt_1; 08-26-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

One of the most valuable lessons I had was with an instructor (who was also an actor in Eyes Wide Shut by Stanley Kubrick) who told me to keep my foot off the accelerator during the sessions. This forced me to look ahead, anticipate and pick lines with the least resistance. This may sound like a daft idea but it certainly taught me a lot; not in the least the careful use of my right foot. This excersize taught me to literally "Drive by the seat of my pants"; to feel exactly what my four wheels are doing at any time and how the Jeep reacts.

For me there is nothing more satisfying than picking the right line and after many years of off-roading this still remains a challenge!

Quick Reply: Picking a good line