Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery safety

Old 11-29-2007, 05:47 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
This is correct. If you need to connect more than one strap or need a way to hook up the strap to a tow point other than a hook, be sure to use a 3/4" D-ring for this task.

when you tie two tow straps together, you need to insert a stick in the knot. I use a 12" cut off broom handle. The knot will come out every time.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superstrap

Originally Posted by Matador
I just picked up a 50' Superstrap. You dont have to tie it...you just weave it ....The guy at the local 4x4 shop said that they are awesome!!! No knots etc.....

just google Superstrap you'll find them. Only cost me $50.

I have (had) two. One 25' and one 50'. Got my Jeep stuck in a bit of mud (up to bottom of doors) and snapped the larger one. I used the shorter as a bridle off my two front tow hooks and the larger to the recovery vehicle. After two tugs... the longer one broke. I don't mean it came undone - it snapped right in half and went flying toward a bystander watching from the side. Ended up having to use the Warn 30k strap with the remaining Superstrap as a bridle to actually get pulled out.

They didn't seem to "give" or stretch the way I needed to give me the pull for a yank. The one used for a bridle didn't need, nor did i want it, to stretch so it worked wonderfully because of the the flexibility in length. As useful a tool as they are... IMO the 1" strap just isn't designed for snatching. Thier 2" probably wouldn't have snapped; but would have stretched even less.

You may want to consider getting a snatch strap in addition to the Superstrap. Sometimes a pull will do it... others it snatch and hope nothing goes flying...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have a military or GI or pintle hitch that is rated at 10K lbs. It is the kind that also has a locking arm over it. I see many of you are saying not to use ball hitches for recover, but would this be an unsafe option?

I didn't get it here, but this is it
http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/products/Receiver%20Mount%20Pintle%20Hook%20with%202%20and% 205-16th%20inch%20Ball,63042

Last edited by Robar; 05-29-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Please do not post direct non sponsor links.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

I think that it is also very important to mention proper strap care. After every use you should roll-out your straps (no matter the make or style) and wash them thoroughly on both sides using a presure washer. This will remove not only the mud but will also remove the small particles that accumulate within the fibers as it gets stretched out. These little particles can and will over time break away at the fibers and weaken the strap. Don't forget to dry the strap prior to storing it away.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cdash
The reality is that if Jeep tells us it's good for 3500#, it is likely good for much more. BUT, a Jeep weighs 4000# and if stuck probably has more resistance than that. But I think a stock tow hook has the same mounting as the hitch? There is no real rating on the tow hooks that I have seen.

You buy a winch with a rating of 1.5 to 2.0 times the vehicle weight, but use a hitch rated at 0.7 of the weight? Just something to think about.

My guess is that it is OK for a recovery point, but if you really get to jerking and tugging, you may want to keep an eye on it to see if it starts bending anything.
You are correct, the factory tow hook is the same mount as the receiver. Wish I had put the receiver on instead of the tow hooks, then you have a receiver if you need it!

Quick Reply: Recovery safety