Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery Strap vs Snatch Strap

Old 04-07-2014, 05:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Good images. Exactly how it is used. Just make sure the rod is something light. You don't want a 1/2" drive ratchet hurtling at someone's head should a strap break. Not sure about that Cinch Bone. It is aluminum. It could hurt or kill if it hit someone.

Heavy snowfall leaves thousands without power » Local News » Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana
I agree that the lighter a Cinch Bone is, the less dangerous it is. The loop, by itself, may also be dangerous.
I Have the aluminum one, but didn't have to use it (yet...). In case I won't like it, I also keep a wooden hammer handle - shortened, and with a cord through a hole at the wide end, for tying to the strap loop. I'm not sure that the wooden one is lighter than the aluminum.

I'd use a Cinch Bone on non-stretching stuff only, and nothing heavier than rolled paper on dynamic ropes or straps -- and apply proper safety measures. A damper on the strap could have saved the man's life.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-07-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i know this is an older thread but this weekend finally was able to use my new ARB snatch strap, pulling out a jeep that was sunk in the mud up to the frame nothing i did with the tow strap would get it out. So finally decided to use the snatch strap it only took two pulls and bam it came unstuck. Definitly learned a lesson about straps!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by K9wells
So i know this is an older thread but this weekend finally was able to use my new ARB snatch strap, pulling out a jeep that was sunk in the mud up to the frame nothing i did with the tow strap would get it out. So finally decided to use the snatch strap it only took two pulls and bam it came unstuck. Definitly learned a lesson about straps!
Don't consign the tow strap to the trash bin. It's still useful in many situations, and even if the snatch strap is your go to for most pulls, the tow strap is still the best thing to anchor your tail on the really difficult pulls when everything else has failed ...

Two winches, two anchors to pull a pick-up out of quicksand ...

Quick Reply: Recovery Strap vs Snatch Strap