Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

required equipment on your jeep before you hit the trail?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j33per
Can I ask a stupid question please? Gun with ammo..... because?
What if the dead start walking?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

What's in my Jeep when I'm out on an Adventure:

1. REI Half Dome 2 Plus Tent (2 man tent, Backpacking type)
2. Black Diamond Orbit Lantern (runs 15 hrs on high, 24 hrs on low) (extra batteries)
3. 40 Degree Sleeping bag and a 10 Degree Sleeping bag with a liner that can increase rating to 10 degrees more of coldness.

4. 1.5" Self Inflating Air Mattress and a 3.5" Self Inflating Air Mattress
5. Gerber Gator Combo Axe II (This replaced my Coleman Axe which proved useless on my last camping trip).
6. Gerber Gorge Folding Shovel (This replaced my Coleman folding shovel that bent while just trying to dig a crap hole on Drummond Island.)

7. Homemade Fleece Blanket (Hunter Orange on one side, black on the other)
8. ARB Air Compressor
9. Fuses
10. Steel Wool (Industrial Grade, stuff you buy at Ace Hardware/True Value) and 9V batteries - Great combo to start a fire - Store separate from each other!
11. Bag of DRY "small stuff" in order for a spark to catch to start a fire. In the midwest, can't always assume the stuff you'll find in nature will be dry.
12. 2 mag lights (did the mag light mod under the seats)
13. Set of appropriate tools
14. Enough water for the amount of people on the trip for 1 week or more.
(Why? Should something go horribly wrong and you are declared missing, it may already be a few days into the trip before anyone realizes you're missing)
15. TELL SOMEONE WHERE YOU'RE GOING! LEAVE DETAILS! ETA on your RETURN! DON'T BE AN A-HOLE, DO THE RIGHT THING. NEVER GO ALONE, unless you just want to die, or end up pulling a "Ralston". A SPOT locator may even be a great idea. I hear the new generation ones are better than they used to be.

16. An appropriate GPS. Don't count on your GARMIN NUVI that is car/road based to help you. I took mine out to Drummond Island and it was pretty much useless. Sure, it showed me where I was on the Island, but lacked trail details. Sure, I could hike out if need be, but I really wanted to take my Jeep with me. One I'm thinking about is a Garmin Dakota or Oregon.

17. Tea Lights and Tea Light Holders. Walgreens sells these in packs of 25. Get the unscented ones (unless you want a headache). These tea lights can help raise the temp inside your Vehicle should you be stranded in cold climates. Make sure you crack a window and carefully place them so they don't catch you on fire.

18. Sun Block - Highest/most effective SPF you can buy. I'd not get that 100 SPF stuff. It sounds like a sweater a bottle, but I don't know how effective it really is.

19. High Quality Multi Tool. You pay for what you get. (Just remember, the money in your bank account doesn't mean crap when you're stranded cuz you bought something cheap)

20. Whistle

21. Signal Mirror

22. Compass and accurate maps of the areas you'll be in.

23. Toilet Paper (You can pack more if you take out the center cardboard roll)

24. Binoculars

25. Food, enough for you and your passengers for 1 week if you're going into the most desolate areas.

26. Jumper Cables

27. Sutra Kit

28. Emergency Blankets

29. ARB Recover Essentials Kit

30. Common Sense and a Clear Head. Pride and Testosterone can make you do some really dumb things. So much so, that a seemingly innocent outing can turn into a survival situation. Sound decision making can help you avoid ever needing to use anything I've mentioned. Going with a buddy and another Jeeper (especially if they have a winch!) is just smart.

31. Weapons: Don't bother with anything smaller than a .45 caliber in bear country, otherwise, use what you know.

My buddies call my survival kit the "Body Bag" due to how big it is. There is more, but I've posted most of that in the "Bug Out" Thread. Its a kit put together from books I've read, Military experience, and advice from an ex Airforce/FBI Surveillance Pilot who is from Minnesota (I stress the MN part, lol). Oh, and it all fits in my 2 door

Last edited by Fenrir; 11-29-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by j33per
Can I ask a stupid question please? Gun with ammo..... because?
And in the end a full magazine is worth more than wallet full of money in the middle of nowhere
Old 12-11-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Surprised someone hasn't sticked an actual check list for this question by now to print out whenever you're heading out to hit up the trail
Old 12-11-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

also dont forget aerial flares just incase
Old 12-11-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might do it if I get bored
Old 12-11-2010, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

small generator, blu ray player, 32" tv, at least 3 good movies. And gas for the generator.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Snake bite kit. Benadryl. And lots of it. Slows down allergic reactions to bees, snake bites and all other little critters. I bring a stapler and quick stop for bad cuts. Spare suspension bolts nuts. Welding rods. Spot. ( already mentioned with insurance on medivacs and search and rescue). I do wheel and ride bikes alone at times Supples for electrical repair. Jb weld. Stop leak. In addition to full set of spares and most of what Is mentioned above.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 PM
JK Newbie

Now I understand why Jeep made the JK Unlimited....Trail riders needed some place to stow all of this gear. I am a new JK U owner and I appreciate all of the suggestions for gear to have available. Anyone have a good suggestion for organizing all of this?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Toilet paper
Ahhh, the voice of experience. I've yet to be attacked by zombies, but I've had the screaming mimi's a few times.

Quick Reply: required equipment on your jeep before you hit the trail?