Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Show Your First Aid Kit

Old 08-09-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was once certified to treat many different things from a bleeding chest wound, to a tension pneumothorax, to various head and body wounds. My question is would it be legal for me to carry the items necessary to perform such procedures if I’m no longer certified? I know I know, “Where would you get such supplies and why would you ever need to do any of that?” well I have access to an awesome first aid kit and I always like to be prepared. Anyone remember the guy that had a big stick come at him through the firewall? If he wasn’t so lucky and it punched a hole in his lung he wouldn’t have made it unless someone had the necessary supplies to keep him alive. - KY
Old 08-09-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08Rubicon
I was once certified to treat many different things from a bleeding chest wound, to a tension pneumothorax, to various head and body wounds. My question is would it be legal for me to carry the items necessary to perform such procedures if I’m no longer certified? I know I know, “Where would you get such supplies and why would you ever need to do any of that?” well I have access to an awesome first aid kit and I always like to be prepared. Anyone remember the guy that had a big stick come at him through the firewall? If he wasn’t so lucky and it punched a hole in his lung he wouldn’t have made it unless someone had the necessary supplies to keep him alive. - KY
You should carry an items you feel comfotable using. There is no such thing as being overprepared. I say bring 'em. No body will question why you are over prepared.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by directedby
Here's my first aid kit....

I don't care who you are. That there's funny.

All that bubbly and beer! Who's gettin hitched?
Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Fa kit

Some good items to add are burnjel and a SAM Splint - foam covered aluminium splint that can be shaped for all types of fractures

For 08 Rubicon - if you are not registered you could be in a bit of hot water performing any invasive procedure, but if you are miles from help, if you perform a life saving procedure you should be covered by the good samaritan act. Im sure anyone whose life you save would be only too thankful, but sadly there are a few ungratefuls out there who would see it as an opportunity to sue.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Christiana, Tennessee, United States, United States

Originally Posted by 08Rubicon
sadly you are no longer permited to do any of these things since you no longer have a valid cert, the good semeritian law only covers you as you were a regular joe blow that never had any medical training ( at least in TN and im sure that KY is similar). the good semeritian law still covers OFF DUTY medical personell but is very iffy on how it works with paramedics and maily depends on what lawer or judge you ask and how they interpriut the law as it applies to medics
"technically" even as a TN lisenced paramedic I am not allowed to use any skills other that basic CPR and bandaging when off duty because in TN paramedics work under certain protocalls and standing orders written and approved by a MD and those only apply when I am on shift.
Now , that being said, if i were to come upon a medical emergency while off duty would i use all my skills and toys, if i am still in TN, yes, out of TN no because each individual state has different cert requirements and they may not be the same as in TN so to much liability.
But i am damned if i do and damned if i dont, if I am off duty and someone needs advanced help and i am able and i dont that makes me a prety shitty person and leaves me open to a civil law suit by a money hungry family member , or if I do hepl and treat a person i may save a life or a limb but may lose my lisence , my job and the ability to feed my family. Sorry for the bad spelling

WHAT A WORLD WE LIVE IN........
Old 08-10-2008, 09:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carry a couple of band-aids and a big bottle of Vicodin!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry a pretty comprehensive first aid kit. Compression bandages, tons of gauze, tri bandages, tweezers, forceps, band-aids, antiseptics, thermometer, moleskin, safety pins, latex gloves, pocket mask, trauma pads...it's much more substantial than your average medicine cabinet kit. But then again, if someone's hurt, your first aid is all that they're going to have to stabilize them until you can get them to the hospital...or the ambulance at the trailhead.. We all know that once you're off the pavement, it's not just a phone call to get someone into the hands of a paramedic.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brad2893
My kit:

No joking though, that's in my doctor's medical kit. He's a fisherman and has used Duct tape for several nasty wounds. Works great until you can get a patient to shore.

Jeff
Old 08-14-2008, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a buddy who uses a military basic medical pack for his outings. He could treat a sliver or a shrapnel wound with this thing. Most if it he "borrowed" from the reserve unit he's in, and most of it isn't legal for us average people. He figures saving his kid's life is worth a fine.

Me? I have a simple first aid kit with your basic stock of ill-fitting and heat damaged bandaids, unidentifiable pills and a paper-mush first aid manual. Maybe I should think about restocking it...

Jeff
Old 08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
J2H
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to use my Combat Lifesaver bag, has all kinds of goodies, including IV kits.

Quick Reply: Show Your First Aid Kit