Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Show Your First Aid Kit

Old 08-31-2008, 04:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing important is to bring a winter coat. If you have to wait for several hours in the Jeep at night, this can prevent hypothermia.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

don't forget about the magic of a
gallon size (or larger) ziploc...
h2o proof and backpackers
like me swear by it.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Grainger Industrial Supply has a good selection of kits also.

Last edited by claymore; 09-05-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

the second pic in liquidsmiles post looks similar to the one i carry. its from REI (if im not mistaken) and is the backpakers first aid kit. its like $50.

I have been a back packer and a paramedic for quite a few years, and i have carried this kit pretty much the whole time. well, i have had all the permutations of it over the years!

it has all the basic supplies for a beginner and a medically trained person and if you dont know what to do, there is a very well written manual that comes with it!

the most important first aid i have ever given anyone is simple.... just be careful!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beware, I had a fairly nice first aid kit in a plastic case stored in the storage compartment in the cargo section and the compartment filled up with water (whole other mystery because the drain plug is pulled but it is not draining) needless to say my first aid kit got ruined because the plastic case was not waterproof so I opened it this weekend to find wet everything and if it was metal it was rusted. SO I too am in the market for a good waterproof replacement kit. Until then just using my hiking kit from REI.

Still got use from the kit though, bent the rusted sheers into place to hold my buddies quick disconnect together long enough to get his ride home after it broke.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Donkee
Beware, I had a fairly nice first aid kit in a plastic case stored in the storage compartment in the cargo section and the compartment filled up with water (whole other mystery because the drain plug is pulled but it is not draining) needless to say my first aid kit got ruined because the plastic case was not waterproof so I opened it this weekend to find wet everything and if it was metal it was rusted. SO I too am in the market for a good waterproof replacement kit. Until then just using my hiking kit from REI.

Still got use from the kit though, bent the rusted sheers into place to hold my buddies quick disconnect together long enough to get his ride home after it broke.
F.Y.I. You have to poke a hole in the carpeting above the drain plug in order to keep that cubby from filling up.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

I know we have some EMT on the board which may be of help... However there are a few things I can help with since I do have some knowledge on the matter. I am not an EMT neither am I a doctor. I have been CPR and emergency first aid trained by the red cross, I am licensed and trained in administrating pure 02 (DAN certification) and I am a Master/Rescue diver ( L.A county trained, same organization that train the fire department, baywatch underwater recovery unit and homeland security divers)

In my kit, the most important item is a CPR mask, an emergency blanket and water. You want a victim to be breathing, to have their body temperature stable and make sure they are properly hydrated. Sure it's great to have a kit with bandage and all the other stuff you get, but bleeding can be stop with any piece of cloth like a tee shirt so it's not on top of my list, although not a bad thing to have.

As far as the law, you are protected by a law called " the Good Samaritan law" so no legal repercussion there... Everyone should google it to make sure they understand the meaning of the law.

Also nobody should perform any medical procedure that haven't been trained for as you could make a bad situation worst. The first thing to do in case of an emergency is to "CALL 911", I know it sound obvious but in emergency situation things can get confusing very fast and often thinking is not rational, another reason to get CPR and first aid training. The whole idea of first aid training is to stabilize the victim until medical attention can be given, usually the EMT's. Also if you are in a group and an emergency occurs, one and only one person should be in charge. It's also a good idea before going on an outing to research where the latest hospital/fire department/police station are as well as their phone number... just in case. If you are in group, discuss a plan in case of an accident or an Emergency, decide would will be in charge (very important) and who does what. Have a Plan A and a Plan B.

Hope this help.

Last edited by somewhereinla; 09-23-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Good option

galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=TK042

Great kit for $50.00 and comes in a nice hard plastic case.

Last edited by JackMac4; 05-27-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKGuy
http://galls.com/style.html?assort=g...og&style=TK042

Great kit for $50.00 and comes in a nice hard plastic case.
That is really not a bad kit for $50. One of the better I have seen for the money.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by directedby
Here's my first aid kit....

Damn, that'll take the hurt out of anything!

Dude, Rock On!

Quick Reply: Show Your First Aid Kit