Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Show Your First Aid Kit

Old 12-02-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have a standard one from Wal-mart. I will use my extensive military survival skills if anything other than a cut is needed. Nurse get me two twigs and a t-shirt..... hurry this mans head is falling off.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

Education is the key here. Take a first aid course as well as a CPR course. But don't stop there. Evidence has shown that within 3 months of taking a CPR course, an individual not utilizing or practicing these skills looses over 50% of the knowledge. Learn and keep learning, practice and keep practicing. As far as equipment, keep it simple. Don't plan on doing needle chest compressions or intubations or crichothyrotomie's with a pen!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

P.S. DON'T give aspirin to any patient who is bleeding significantly thinking that it may alleviate pain. The aspirin will prevent clotting causing the bleeding to continue.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Listen, please:

GO TAKE A CPR CLASS. NOW. PLEASE.

I took it for free because I was coaching little league this past Spring. A LOT has changed in 30 years since my last course.

Two months later my 4 year old son nearly drowned right in front of me in a pool. My older son found him floating face down.

THE CPR COURSE enabled me to save his life!!! He would be dead today had I not taken it, plain and simple, and a fact that chokes me up every time I think about it.

Oh, and CALL 911! All I could hear when this all went down, was my class instructor yelling in my face to CALL 911! It's amazing, but NO ONE WILL DO IT UNLESS YOU TELL THEM TO! Everyone sits there watching in horror!

The EMTs, Police, and Firemen were on the scene in under 5 minutes. I had my son breathing in about 2. He spent 3 days in PICU, then on the way out of the hospital, he asked if we could go swimming again. That's my boy!

PLEASE, PLEASE, go take a CPR/First aid course again.

Also, DO NOT, literally, DO NOT take your eyes off your kids while in the pool. Hire dedicated life guards at parties. But this was just 3 adults and 4 kids ALL IN THE water. Right in front of us this happened.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default Check on CERT in your area.

https://www.citizencorps.gov/

They have online training courses you can take and then supplement them with advanced onsite training. Takes two weekend days.

They cover a gambit of things from personal preparedness, to special needs considerations, fire suppresion, first aid and cpr, triage, etc. They also assign you teams if you choose to, and it's all volunteer.

They will also be the first to tell you that your safety and the safety of your loved ones comes first.

More info here.
https://www.citizencorps.gov/programs/

For those previously certified, you can put your skills to use and get current. Plus, when working as a voluteer, I am pretty sure you are covered by the government.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm putting together a Kit for camp, Jeep runs, and sports trips.

I have the basic certs for camp staff. BLS, AED, First Aid, BBP. I plan on adding a PHTLS cert. this coming summer. So that I don't impersonate EMS I will cover the star of life with a patch.

Last edited by JKid; 12-30-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Junkie

Something else that's good to have is a towel (one of those super absorbent towels would work well as they are samll, but work great). On my last trip out, I had the kids with me and during a break by a creek, my daughter got hit in the head by a rock that gave her a big gash right on top, even cut some hair. I had to clean it out so I could see exactly where the wound was and used a good amount of water. It was about 35 degrees out and pouring water on my daughters head was not a fun thing for her. I did not have a towel, but fortunately another vehicle that was stopped had one, so we could keep her from getting too wet and cold and dry her up as best we could.

As for my bag, I found an old style Army bag with red cross on it. I put a couple grommets in the back and hang it on the back gate, so it's easily accesible. Everything is in ziplocs so they stay dry. Might have to come up with a different location when I drop the top though so it doesn't get taken.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

First post--be gentle. I have a couple additions and comments.

Maxi pads--super absorbent, cheaper than sterile alternatives, and usually easier to come by.

Coban--this stuff is kind of like an ace bandage that sticks to itself but not to other things. Great for holding bandages/dressings in place (eliminates the need for tape, but it can always be additionally secured with duct or first aid tape). If brightly colored, can also be rolled out to mark a helicopter landing zone.

Mastisol--makes skin sticky so that dressings will stick to it--in muddy or wet environments this can be useful.

A big second on a SAM splint (mentioned earlier), duct tape, and super glue.

I prefer polysporin over neosporin (both are relatively worthless to prevent infections, but about 10% of the US population is allergic to one of the ingredients in neosporin. Your buddy isn't going to thank you after you play first responder on his/her cut with neosporin and essentially give them a ripping case of poison oak/ivy dermatitis).

Absolutely carry aspirin if you have some first aid training. You have to be careful because some folks can have life threatening reactions to it, and it can decrease the ability of blood to clot (so it is usually a no no in trauma patients) but anyone who experiences chest pain (possible heart attack) should get a dose.

Sat phone-I don't have one, but I have been in situations where I sure wish I had. SPOT or similar emergency transponders could fill the same role. Unless you are wheeling with a MASH unit the most important thing is activating the emergency response system if someone is really in trouble.

Last edited by Scotty; 02-15-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Reviving an old thread.

Absolutely everyone should take a CPR course....and maintain it.

This gets me by on the majority of my real world calls and on the trails as well:

2 SAM splints
1 Roll of Kerlex
1 roll of Coban
Trauma Shears
Aspirin & Extra Strength Tylenol
2 5x9 Sterile pads
Handfull of 4x4 pads
Bandaids

Trail Only Items:
1 Roll of duct tape
Super Glue

These items alone should get you through the majority of accidents. Check your 1st aid kit before and after each trip. This way if water gets in it (happened to me once), you will catch it before you need it.

Cheers.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first aid kit is comprehensive...

Here's the current contents of my first aid bag.

80 pc standard collection of small bandages (various sized band-aids)
1 package of self-adhesive butterfly strips
5 pc 2”x2” gauze pads
4 pc 4”x4” gauze pads
2 pc 6”x6” gauze pads
2 lady’s sanitary pads (can also be used for major injury bandages)
2 rolls of 2” gauze
1 roll of .5” wide adhesive tape
2 rolls of 1” wide adhesive tape
1 roll of 2” wide adhesive tape
2 rolled elastic bandages (72” long x 2” wide)
1 roll 4” wide foam non-adhesive tape
1 pair stainless steel scissors
1 pair stainless steel forceps
1 pair stainless steel sharp point tweezers (various uses, including splinter removal)
2 single edge razor blades (1 #9 and 1 #12)
1 multifunction/multi-tool stainless steel folding knife
5 pairs of latex examination gloves
1 .5oz bottle of liquid bandage
2 .25oz tubes of surgical adhesive (gel)
1 40 count bottle of Tylenol (500 mg)
1 100 count bottle of aspirin (250 mg)
1 .5oz bottle of Murine
1 3oz bottle of eye wash
1 2oz tube of anti-bacterial ointment
1 3oz bottle of hydrogen peroxide
1 3oz bottle of hand sanitizer
1 1oz tube of Cortaid anti-itch cream
2 chemical self adhesive heat pads
2 chemical cold packs
1 24” length of surgical tubing (various uses including as a tourniquet)
5 tongue depressors (can be used as finger splints)
10 packets of sterile wipes
4 packets of Imodium
6 packets of antacid tabs
4 chemical hand warmers packets
4 chemical light sticks
1 small (AA battery) flashlight
1 maglite 4 cell xenon flashlight
1 24”x12” Terrycloth towel
2 x 24” bungee cords (can be used with towel to rig an arm sling)
2 x 12” miniature bungee cords, plastic coated steel hooks (as above)
2 aluminized solar blankets
6 1qt ziplock plastic bags (various uses, including medical waste collection)

My regards,

Widewing

Quick Reply: Show Your First Aid Kit