Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Show Your First Aid Kit

Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Here's my first aid kit:

Love it.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I use a couple different kits depending on the use. If I am going on a longer trip or with a big group I grap my Big kit that has more capabilities and depth.

I also have a smaller kit that is more compact and rolls up. It is a Black Hawk Medical roll and it is easy to carry and opens up to show everything you may need quickly. Important for an emergency

This is a great thread! I think it is important to be prepared. I would rather have it an not need it then need it an not have it!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Small First Aid Ki 2t..jpg
Views:	124
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	60900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big First Aid Kit..jpg
Views:	275
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	60901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small First Aid Kit..jpg
Views:	121
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	60902  
Old 04-21-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

I am impressed with the level of preparedness jeepers as a whole but especially the members of this forum posting on this thread show. I went wheeling last September and am ashamed to say was only carrying a $10 first aid kit from Wally World. Though we only had one minor injury in our group the paramedic in the group (who was carrying essentially a MASH unit in his jeep-still don't know how he got it all in) was the first to arrive at a roll over (on the highway NOT offroad) of someone not in our group. The wife of the driver suffered a severe closed head injury and was choppered to Denver (we were in Ouray Co.).

This year I added a STOMP kit from Cheaper Than Dirt. It is similiar to kits I have seen on the local gun ranges around here and has the supplies to perform appendectomies (though I wouldn't reccomend it! ). Here's the link and a pic.

ht tp://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MHR316-1.html

I did add some additional advanced airway supplies, local anesthetics, and IV solutions but overal seems quite complete on it's own.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Question My Setup

I carry the backpackers kit from REI plus some extra stuff including a quikclot sponge.
I am wondering though, is there anything I need to know about the quikclot?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluerubicon08
But seriously, I am an ICU and ER Nurse, been doing it for years. Was also a Medic on the ambulance for a while. The basics are all you really need. Tings like medical tapr are nice to have, but in all honesty, duct tape works just as well in an emergency. Definitely take a cpr course if you are so inclined. Not knowing what to do is a sucky feeling. And ALWAYS call 911 first
Totally agreed !! Everyone would benefit the most from an American Heart Assoc. (or equiv) first aid and CPR course. Can be done in about 6 hours..and that knowledge will last a life time. A wilderness first aid course would be awesome for jeepers. These are offered through some universities and teach basic first aid targeted for remote areas with limited resources.

Basic first aid supplies, fresh water, and blankets are really all anyone needs.

I am a critical care paramedic and I dont even carry half of the stuff some folks have listed they have in their kits. I would love to carry IV's, meds, airway equip, but there comes a point when there are legal issues with giving care when you are not on duty and the "good samaritan" laws only cover so much.

Play it safe and stay simple IMO

Last edited by jeepmedic; 04-26-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wardjm1
I carry the backpackers kit from REI plus some extra stuff including a quikclot sponge.
I am wondering though, is there anything I need to know about the quikclot?
SOME quickclot products are derived from shell fish derivitives. Anyone with a shell fish allergy (known or unknown) may have a very serious anaphylactic reaction. NOT good. This is why most EMS agencies do not carry this product.

Direct pressure with elevation of the injured area is all you will need. If bleeding is so bad that doesn't help.....then you need professional assistance and possibly an ER / OR.

Looks like a fine kit !
Old 04-26-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmedic
SOME quickclot products are derived from shell fish derivitives. Anyone with a shell fish allergy (known or unknown) may have a very serious anaphylactic reaction. NOT good. This is why most EMS agencies do not carry this product.
!
I remember hearing something about that a while ago, but forgot, thanks for the reminder. I mainly got the quikclot in case of serious bleeding/in areas where cell coverage isn't immediately available.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

An excerpt from my blog where I was talking about some first aid kits:

Then for my Jeep I put together a slightly more comprehensive kit using the Smittybuilt First Aid Bag (link is to Quadratech which has an accurate picture, the pic on Smittybilt's website is not right). This bag has a velcro mounting panel that straps to the roll bar, and a plastic buckle strap to help secure it. So I always know where the bag is, and if I need it I can rip it off the velcro and take it wherever.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donpattee/4553295187/
I've stuffed it pretty close to max capacity with:
  • Adventure Medical Suture/Syringe kit (several needles, suture, syringe, not what I wanted but will do for now)
  • Various sizes of gauze, self-adhesive wraps, and tape
  • Various band-aids, and pre-cut moleskin
  • Cleaning items - irrigation syringe, q-tips, alcohol wipes, antiseptic wipes
  • Bug bite wipes (anti-itch + antiseptic)
  • Some headache, alergy, diarhea, heartburn medicines, eye drops
  • Carmex CPR shield (in the littly black pouch near the thermometer)
  • A bag of water, some M&Ms, and an energy bar
  • Instant cold & instant hot packs, not pictured, I need to rearrange how I packed the bag these didn't fit
  • Snake bite sucker - mine was cracked, need to get a new one
Note: The cat and fur mouse are not normally part of this kit!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Is that the cat everbody is always worrying about on this forum?

(on my way to Arches National Park!!!)
Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by X-caiver
An excerpt from my blog where I was talking about some first aid kits:

Then for my Jeep I put together a slightly more comprehensive kit using the Smittybuilt First Aid Bag (link is to Quadratech which has an accurate picture, the pic on Smittybilt's website is not right). This bag has a velcro mounting panel that straps to the roll bar, and a plastic buckle strap to help secure it. So I always know where the bag is, and if I need it I can rip it off the velcro and take it wherever.

I've stuffed it pretty close to max capacity with:
  • Adventure Medical Suture/Syringe kit (several needles, suture, syringe, not what I wanted but will do for now)
  • Various sizes of gauze, self-adhesive wraps, and tape
  • Various band-aids, and pre-cut moleskin
  • Cleaning items - irrigation syringe, q-tips, alcohol wipes, antiseptic wipes
  • Bug bite wipes (anti-itch + antiseptic)
  • Some headache, alergy, diarhea, heartburn medicines, eye drops
  • Carmex CPR shield (in the littly black pouch near the thermometer)
  • A bag of water, some M&Ms, and an energy bar
  • Instant cold & instant hot packs, not pictured, I need to rearrange how I packed the bag these didn't fit
  • Snake bite sucker - mine was cracked, need to get a new one
Note: The cat and fur mouse are not normally part of this kit!
Nice blog.

Quick Reply: Show Your First Aid Kit