Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Snow Wheelin 101

Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's admit it, sometimes things happen and we're out there playing before any chains are put on. "Ah, I won't get stuck!..." I learned for those times a length of 2x4 with screws interspersed (heads sticking out 1/2 in or so) makes a great recovery tool to get you moving again.

I don't have chains yet for my jeep. But on the roads getting to where I want to go, I have been stopped twice during chain control in my 4x4 truck to actually SHOW that I have chains before continuing on (California). Not looking forward to seeing how much chains cost for 37s...
Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 PM
JK Newbie

how do 40s do in the snow?.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Oh yeah.....don't go into deep snow or a snowbank sideways or you will need your shovel or winch!!! Yup been there done that!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 AM
sky
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abailey
How much snow are you talking about? I have never had chains, but momentum as said before is key. This was yesterday with my 285 Duratracs. We picked up 16" and had some from before. The snow was up to my steps. If you get stuck the good thing is that you just made a trail behind you. Back up straight and it gives you the ability to make a run for it! Good luck and have fun! Oh yeah stay warm!

i like your painted hinges
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RRauzer
Let's admit it, sometimes things happen and we're out there playing before any chains are put on. "Ah, I won't get stuck!..." I learned for those times a length of 2x4 with screws interspersed (heads sticking out 1/2 in or so) makes a great recovery tool to get you moving again.
...2x4's with screws it them in the back seat... try a chunk of carpet same effect, thats what floor mats are for...

The roads closed to the north, west and now south, glad the lake is calm today. The big Hwy plow truck was in the ditch, heli crew setting off avalanches, and now rain, on the snow with ice under it...
The loggers came down early and headed home, the conditions today are worse than bad... loggers never bail.

So, these new chains WOW they bite hard... the lock cams are the way to go.
The new set is called Texas Longhorn Ugrip with cams (UC-320 9/32) they are like claws. On the smaller tires 33/9.50 they can't cross them and have less cross bars because of the twist cam lock, very nice easy to tighten up, also get the spider bungie with them.

Soo glad I got them yesterday, cause when you need them... I broke up the ice on my road with them, spun 'em, skid 'em, roosted 'em, These chains just dug in and stayed on... well reconmended.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 304.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	117478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 303.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	117479  

Last edited by MountainJK; 01-15-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MountainJK
...2x4's with screws it them in the back seat... try a chunk of carpet same effect, thats what floor mats are for...

The roads closed to the north, west and now south, glad the lake is calm today. The big Hwy plow truck was in the ditch, heli crew setting off avalanches, and now rain, on the snow with ice under it...
The loggers came down early and headed home, the conditions today are worse than bad... loggers never bail.

So, these new chains WOW they bite hard... the lock cams are the way to go.
The new set is called Texas Longhorn Ugrip with cams (UC-320 9/32) they are like claws. On the smaller tires 33/9.50 they can't cross them and have less cross bars because of the twist cam lock, very nice easy to tighten up, also get the spider bungie with them.

Soo glad I got them yesterday, cause when you need them...
Those are some mean chain setups mountainjk, where did those come from
Old 01-14-2011, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kootenay industrial supply
Old 01-14-2011, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ran custom chains on my F350 in Fairbanks. Would like to echo the comment about what's under the snow. I inadvertently crossed a snowbridge and of course plummeted 6 feet verticle into the ditch. Minimal damage, but the locals looked at me like I was a cherry (I was) as they pulled me out with a mining 18 wheeler. Also, 16" of ice is enough to land a C130 on! Thinking you are pretty safe if you have something close to that, especially if it isnt aerated (cloudy or white ice). the more clear, the better.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sky
i like your painted hinges
Thank you! It was covered under warranty for rust.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget your kinetic rope!

Quick Reply: Snow Wheelin 101