Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

A (stupid) question about towing people out when they get stuck.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the front tow hooks, can they be used for recovery. If possible is it wise to use both of them if positioned properly

And to everyone, thanks so much for all the well needed info.

Have a cold one on me
Old 10-13-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by D_Acord
What about the front tow hooks, can they be used for recovery. If possible is it wise to use both of them if positioned properly

And to everyone, thanks so much for all the well needed info.

Have a cold one on me
The front tow hooks are designed to be used as recovery points. You could hook a separate strap to each tow hook in a recovery but I have never had any reason to do so. Most recovery straps have eyelets on either end that are designed to be fastened to a recovery shackle or if a closed system like a shackle is not available, to an open ended tow hook will do. You could attach a recovery strap or winch line to both recovery points if you had a properly placed and equalized anchor points. Be carefully using multiple anchor points with one line, unless you are trained to set up these types of systems. If you set them up wrong, you are putting your Jeep, recovery gear and people's safety at risk. I would keep it simple and attach one strap to a recovery point on the vehicle needing recovery (Hummer or Toyota) and the other to a single fixed recovery point on the Jeep doing the recovery. The more complex the recovery system the more likely you are to have a problem or failure.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by macca007
You should be using a recovery strap (snatch strap) which is a nylon strap designed to stretch, then return the kenetic energy as it recoils, therefore you can in certain situations recover larger vehicles. Every 4WD should carry at least one snatch strap and 2 rated bow shackles at all times. They should be rated to suit your vehicle ie if you attempt to recover a larger or very well stuck vehicle the equipment will fail before it puts undue stress on your jeep. There are principles you should apply but I haven't got them at hand but i use a 8000lb strap and 3 3/4 ton shackles, which is more than enough for the jeep. The key is to use the equipment, you dont go fast, 2nd low, constant speed, approx 10 ft slack, should recover most stuck vehicles.

Let them connect it themselves - lesson learnt - if they were prepared they would have their own gear.

It is also a bit of etiquette to use your gear to recover your jeep.

hope this helps
I like this post, sums it up pretty well
Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neoxxis
Last winter I came across an Ambulance stuck in the ditch, maybe 20 feet from the road... The ditch was very wide and maybe 10' deep...
The police was on site.
I wondered if I could help them by winching the Ambulance out...
I could have had my tires on the pavement, straight pull, etc...
But since the police was there I thought they already called a tow truck so why risk breaking my stuff...? (or the Ambulance...)

Since then I wonder... Would I have been able to pull it...?
A full Ambulance probably weighs ? 10 000 lbs + ?...

I guess we'll never know...
Not unless yo had something to strap your ass-end to. You would have just pulled yourself to him.

Now you know.

Quick Reply: A (stupid) question about towing people out when they get stuck.