Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Sway Bar Question

Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sway Bar Question

Would you get more Articulation by disconnecting the sway bar links on a Rubicon? Or is the Electronic swaybar disconnect good enough? How much more would you get if there is more articulation to gain?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe on a highly modified jeep but for stock or close to it, disconnecting the bar is the same.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't tried that on our Rubi but one of the guys on the forum did and Mel (Off Road Evolution) had him put on end links and use the Rubi elect DISCO so that's good enough for me. I think the Rubi Disco is good enough for most particularly if you have the correct length end links to compliment your lift.

Here's a couple of Rubi Disco end links connected pics:

Blonda at Green Day (Area BFE - Moab)

Mashed Potatos
Old 05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a 2.5" Teraflex Budged Boost with 35" ProComp Xtrem M/Ts... thoughts?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st_Rubicon
I've got a 2.5" Teraflex Budged Boost with 35" ProComp Xtrem M/Ts... thoughts?
Just need to make sure the shock are sized properly for the lift. Sometimes people get shocks that work for a range of lift sizes and they are at the lower end of the range. What could happen on full droop is that the end link could over extend becoming a pretzel

Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Just need to make sure the shock are sized properly for the lift. Sometimes people get shocks that work for a range of lift sizes and they are at the lower end of the range. What could happen on full droop is that the end link could over extend becoming a pretzel

Holy Crap! I've never seen anyone do that! I've got Rubicon Express mono tubes for a 2-3.5 inch lift. I'm lifted 2.5. The links are correct for the lift. I might as well just use the electronic swaybar disconnect.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
... What could happen on full droop is that the end link could over extend becoming a pretzel

Originally Posted by 1st_Rubicon
Holy Crap! I've never seen anyone do that! I've got Rubicon Express mono tubes for a 2-3.5 inch lift. I'm lifted 2.5. The links are correct for the lift. I might as well just use the electronic swaybar disconnect.
When you installed your lift did you put remove your factory rear links and install them in the front?

Bent sway bar links are a common occurance where the links are too short for your lift. Rule of thumb is to have your links long enough so that your sway bar is 5 to 10 degrees above horizontal. Many run much more than this.

I copied the following from another post:
To do this, look at the front sway bar from the side when the Jeep is on level ground. The sway bar should at a minimum be level with the ground or even slightly tilting up towards the rear of the Jeep. If the swaybar is tilting down, the links are too short. It doesn't mean that they will flip on you, but the risk is greater, especially when fully flexed. New links are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Here is a link to a photo that shows what it should look like.
http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=34171

Last edited by KenB1010; 05-06-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

my friend recently added a BDS 3" lift to his rubi. how would his electronic sway disconnect be affected? His concern is that by adding the lift that included a sway bar link that would in turn cause him to not fully utilize his electronic sway disconnect. Or do all rubicons come with a sway disconnect and a manual sway bar link? Sorry if my question is of ignorance. please let me know.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Speaking from experience, by using a ramp, there is no difference from using the e-locker or quick disconnect. However, my lift combo has very limited travel, compared to some of the others that are on this forum.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ruben09jeep
my friend recently added a BDS 3" lift to his rubi. how would his electronic sway disconnect be affected? His concern is that by adding the lift that included a sway bar link that would in turn cause him to not fully utilize his electronic sway disconnect. Or do all rubicons come with a sway disconnect and a manual sway bar link? Sorry if my question is of ignorance. please let me know.
As long as his links are sized to his lift it will have no effect on the E-disco. The problem comes when the links are too short, which can alow the sway bar to wrap backwards causesing the links to bend and many times it will also cut the tire.

Some rubi owners do manually disconnect their sway bars. My personnel belief is that I paid for it, I'm goona use it.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Question