Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

OR - Trasfer Case Lever - Transaction Control ?s

Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OR - Trasfer Case Lever - Transaction Control ?s

I am new to ORing. Had my second experience this past weekend and have some general questions. Apologies if these are posted elsewhere....

1.) When in 4wheel drive should my transaction control be off?? My jeep shakes like crazy when rpms get up there and trying to climb sand. This thought didnt cross my mind that it should be turned off until on my way home from the trail. This leads to my second issue below, which i think caused #2 below.

2.) When leaving the trail my ABS/Brake/Traction Control lights all came on. I stopped my jeep, restarted and they all went away. Going through some sand to get out i went to shift to 4wheel drive only to find Transfer case lever is completely busted. It goes up and down w/o any resistance. Not concerned because dealer will fix under warranty but just wondering if my noob error (assuming #1 above was mistake) caused this to break. Should i be concerned that anything else was damaged?? O and i bottomed out on some sand hills twice...realize i now need a lift. Could this of possibly caused the transfer case lever to break...????

Thanks is advance to any help!!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you in 4 lo or 4 hi?
Traction control???
I know that if your traction control is going off that could cause a light shudder. Which is most likely the brakes, or the system stunting the throttle to regain traction. Which means most likely you were in 4hi when you should have been in 4lo.

Say you were stomping the throttle in the snow in 4 hi. When the computer senses you are getting out of control it applies the brakes or kills the throttle to regain your footing and maintain a straight heading.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
Were you in 4 lo or 4 hi?
Traction control???
I know that if your traction control is going off that could cause a light shudder. Which is most likely the brakes, or the system stunting the throttle to regain traction. Which means most likely you were in 4hi when you should have been in 4lo.

Say you were stomping the throttle in the snow in 4 hi. When the computer senses you are getting out of control it applies the brakes or kills the throttle to regain your footing and maintain a straight heading.
I would get the shutter (but not light,more heavy) in 4hi and 4lo. the entire jeep would shake and make noise...not even pushing down heavy on the throttle...almost as soon as the tires start spinning.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:34 PM
JK Junkie

Were you aired down at all?

Losing any traction in 4 lo is tough, it is so hard to tell without really hearing it or seeing it you know.

When in 4 lo though there is a lot of power transfer going on, vibration is normal even in my jk. It is not rough, and does not shudder violently though.

The throttle is extremely sensitive in low range also. I honestly barely even push on it, just kind of pump it to crawl very slowly. Hope I'm not making no sense at all, just trying to help, bump for more input.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeep_420
Going through some sand to get out i went to shift to 4wheel drive only to find Transfer case lever is completely busted. It goes up and down w/o any resistance. Not concerned because dealer will fix under warranty but just wondering if my noob error (assuming #1 above was mistake) caused this to break. Should i be concerned that anything else was damaged?? O and i bottomed out on some sand hills twice...realize i now need a lift. Could this of possibly caused the transfer case lever to break...????

Thanks is advance to any help!!
If your TC lever has no resistance you have most likely broke one of the small plastic bushings that connect the TC linkage to the lever or to the TC itself. It is part number 68064273AA, very inexpensive. Review your manual for instructions on how to shift the TC correctly, you may have done it wrong(did you put Trans in neutral)...but, the plastic bushings are weak and break even under proper shifting conditions.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tchaap
If your TC lever has no resistance you have most likely broke one of the small plastic bushings that connect the TC linkage to the lever or to the TC itself. It is part number 68064273AA, very inexpensive. Review your manual for instructions on how to shift the TC correctly, you may have done it wrong(did you put Trans in neutral)...but, the plastic bushings are weak and break even under proper shifting conditions.
Yes this is what I am reading and think that this is most likely the case that i broke this ring. Shifted trans to neutral when going into 4lo, moving to 4hi per manual can be done anytime. i come to a complete stop when in 4h and shift trans to neutral and move to 4l...this shifts with no issue/no grinding and smoothly.

more concerned at this point with why my jeep shakes no much when climbing sand hills. buddy's sport tj handles with ease, my longer rubicon w/o lift gets stuck more than i would like. then there is the violent shutter as soon as the tires start to spin. i think once i get the transfer case lever fixed and return to trail i will try switching traction control off....will also mention this to dealership and see if there could potentially be something else wrong with it.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
Were you aired down at all?

Losing any traction in 4 lo is tough, it is so hard to tell without really hearing it or seeing it you know.

When in 4 lo though there is a lot of power transfer going on, vibration is normal even in my jk. It is not rough, and does not shudder violently though.

The throttle is extremely sensitive in low range also. I honestly barely even push on it, just kind of pump it to crawl very slowly. Hope I'm not making no sense at all, just trying to help, bump for more input.
was not aired down at all...should i have been?? i have the stock 32s (bfGoodrich KM2). i will try this next time as well. is it ok to drive once i leave trail aired down, closest gas station is 12 miles once i get off trail.

Last edited by Jeep_420; 03-20-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeep_420

was not aired down at all...should i have been?? i have the stock 32s (bfGoodrich KM2). i will try this next time as well. is it ok to drive once i leave trail aired down, closest gas station is 12 miles once i get off trail.
In sand you should have been down to at least twenty psi, jmo.

I don't think anything is wrong with your linkage. I have had it break on both sides, this doesn't seem to be the issue from what it sounds like.

Sounds like you were just giving it too much throttle. The jk computer won't allow the tires to spin like that unless you are in 4 lo. And even then, if you continue to gas it that's a good way to dig the jeep in. Sand wheeling is about momentum and floatation.

If you were up at thirty or more psi, scratch floatation out. Only way to go is down. Tires dig down, you continue to stomp the gas, sounds like the shudder was your drive train trying to handle being worked over. On sand hills especially, you have to use momentum to break the hill, not the throttle to break your jk.

Quick Reply: OR - Trasfer Case Lever - Transaction Control ?s