Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

wait for a Rubi...?

Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK

Really depends on alot of factors -- economy at the time, incentives, interest rates to name a few. The remaining 2010's moved fast when the new 2011's came in. Many may opt for the 3.8 with the new Pentastar coming out as there are alot of folks who are adamant about not getting the first year of a new vehicle until all the kinks are sorted out. Time will tell
I bought first year JK 2007 in nov of 2006 and its still running strong. Word of advice. Go minor with the upgrades if you want the jeep to last past your payment book. I'm at 97,000 miles now.

I go up to Rausch maybe twice a year (blue/green). I have 2.5 budget boost with more aggressive 32 inch tires, quick disconnects and rock rails. CB is a must along with tow strap.

Why would you stress out an X or safari with 35s or god forbid 37s and/or a huge lift. It will kick the crap out of your X/Sport and requires more than just tires and rims.

I say 32/33s to run rausch green/blue. Going 35/37 is very serious and requires major mods and money. If you want your Jeep to last make minor upgrades from stock. For example lifts above 2.5 and you start running into tons of other issues. Same with 37s on 3.21 gears. It's just begging for stuff to break.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind

if you buy a sport .. you could also buy:

Lift kit
wheels
tires
gears
winch
bumpers
Front axle reinforment

and have a really nice looking capable jeep.

Or .. buy a RUBI for the SAME amount of $$$$ and have a stock Rubi.

if I did it all over again ... I would buy a used not abused Rubicon that somebody else blew their money on modding out.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default this is a old thread i know but i say

you only need to get yourself in one jam to use the stock rubicon and youl be happy you payed for the lockers and swaybar i recently had to use my lockers and it was like a helicopter tied on to me and pulled it out of the ditch! i was so surprised that 4 lo reverse and forward were doing me no good and i said shit use the lockers and hit the button and holy crap i was out in less than 5 seconds unreal im so glad i bought the rubicon i had a sport 2011 i kept having the envy thing in the back of my mind and the thought of having to do or spend so much time and downtime while my jeep would be worked on just to make it what a out of the box rubicon is! i traded itin for the 12 ! dont get me wrong the sport is fine and all but you can say what you want , im sold on the rubicon the x is nothing even close when it comes to the locker dept or swaybar , and all the mods that you have to do such as dana 44s front and rear 410 gearing and low transfer speed (thats my oppinion anyway ) if your gona buy a jeep and you want your warrenty also get a rubicon
Old 12-24-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought my Rubicon because of the transfer case, gears, winch, and lockers. I only plan to lift it and then regear and add tires. Mine already has a Warn 9.5 Ti winch on it (original owner got raped by the dealer). Yes a Wrangler X with a lift and tires could go more places, but that's an apple to oranges comparison. Trying to put the Rubicon at a disadvantage. I will just lift mine this year and rock the stock style 255/70r17 BFG Muds till their bald. It all depends on what you want to do. I'll never go bigger than 35s on this rig and the d44s can handle that. My K5 is for the big tires.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Keep looking around. I found an Unlimited x with locking diff and sway disconnect. 6 speed, factory tow package! Everything I wanted. It's basically a Ribu but with 3.73 instead of the 4.10. They are out there! Be Patient
Old 12-24-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by j.house013
Keep looking around. I found an Unlimited x with locking diff and sway disconnect. 6 speed, factory tow package! Everything I wanted. It's basically a Ribu but with 3.73 instead of the 4.10. They are out there! Be Patient
Those options were only available on 2007-2008 JK X's ...
Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDoubleD
I bought first year JK 2007 in nov of 2006 and its still running strong. Word of advice. Go minor with the upgrades if you want the jeep to last past your payment book. I'm at 97,000 miles now.

I go up to Rausch maybe twice a year (blue/green). I have 2.5 budget boost with more aggressive 32 inch tires, quick disconnects and rock rails. CB is a must along with tow strap.

Why would you stress out an X or safari with 35s or god forbid 37s and/or a huge lift. It will kick the crap out of your X/Sport and requires more than just tires and rims.

I say 32/33s to run rausch green/blue. Going 35/37 is very serious and requires major mods and money. If you want your Jeep to last make minor upgrades from stock. For example lifts above 2.5 and you start running into tons of other issues. Same with 37s on 3.21 gears. It's just begging for stuff to break.
Drivetrain wise, the 3.8 and tranny coupled to it were around the Chrysler stabble for many years before making it's way into the Wrangler so there was a solid track record of what we were getting into with the 3.8. The Pentastar on the other hand was out for a year in the Grand Cherokee before being tossed into the Wrangler mix.

Quick Reply: wait for a Rubi...?