Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

When do you use lockers?

Old 11-14-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scootrrydr
Yes, indeed....

I tried to find a rubicon, the first of 2007....but to no avail....so I bought a sahara. No regrets though. You dont need lockers on 95% of the trails in Moab....but they do recommend them.
While most Moab area trails offer copious traction due to the nature of the Navajo sandstone, and while you can drive many of the trails without lockers, you can't tackle most of the bigger obstacles without them ... and the tough obstalces in Moab are what it's all about IMO.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch this video....

BLD function despite dumb driver

Two things... One, it appears that the tires were not aired down. Two, the driver is obviously very inexperienced. Probably his first foray off road. In the background, some huckleberry tells him to turn ESP back on. That clacking sound is the BLD algorithm kicking in.

All he needed to do was air down to 15 to 18 psi and getting up that little incline would have been a breeze.

In this second video, another inexperienced off road driver has BLD come to his rescue; his spotter wasn't much help...
Unlimited X in the mud

Again, you can hear BLD engaging.

This next video is entertaining. A bone stock, basic JK X running 225 series, 16" SRAs tackles a mud bog and stuns the camera man...
Basic X in the mud

Another stock X (24S package) shows what it can do when driven intelligently.
Another stock X model

My regards,

Widewing

Last edited by Widewing; 11-14-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BLDs are slightly better than standard open diffs on the trail. They are not lockers, and do not come close to the performance of lockers. Once you try both, the difference both is immediate and drastic. The same BLD system is used in Jeep liberty and Compass.

BLDs work when you keep the RPMs way up there, but don't get the false impression that they are an adequate substitute for lockers or anything close to it. They give you a slight traction advantage over a standard open diffs without the problems associated with limited slips; nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by desertdawg; 11-14-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Default Hmmm...

Originally Posted by Omaha
While most Moab area trails offer copious traction due to the nature of the Navajo sandstone, and while you can drive many of the trails without lockers, you can't tackle most of the bigger obstacles without them ... and the tough obstalces in Moab are what it's all about IMO.
While I agree with your last statement, your second to the last statement is not even close to being true. "You can't tackle most of the bigger obstacles without them"??? WTH? That is where all the fun is!! The harder lines! The bigger ledges, and the tougher trails, WITHOUT lockers!

I wheeled with my YJ without lockers. Learned to tackle most of the tough trails. Then installed lockers. Difference is night and day. Loved it!

Then when the JK's came out in 06, the four doors became a must for my family of four. The YJ just was too cramped. I bought a Sahara because there wasnt any Rubicon's available at that time.

In early 07, I actually dropped off the JK down to the shop to get ARB's installed. (They told me they had lockers available...)The shop called me back and said "come back and pick up your Jeep, ARB's are not available yet."

I have been on all the difficult rated trails in Moab for the last 3 years without lockers. Then again, I only go there 3 or 4 times a year and to change it up a bit, I take all the challenges I can find. Ask around. A few of us members have been on the trail with me. So I havent tackled the buggy trails like Helldorado and such, oh well.

The longer wheel base of the JK compared to my YJ, I have decided I don't NEED lockers. But maybe will get them when the time comes.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

I follow ya scoot.

The point I was trying to make is, Rock Chucker, Widowmaker, Escalator and Hell's Gate (as examples) would all be highly difficult if not impossible w/o lockers. I saw big tired-rigs locked front and rear turned back on both RC and W'maker last month.

Incidentally, I have only a rear locker, but made it up Potato Salad Hill by picking a careful line and knowing the difference between momentum and reckless speed.

So we're really in agreement; that's part and parcel to why I'm running mild lift and tires because it's more fun to play the underdog card out on the trail than to have 60s and huge rubber and be expected to go everywhere you point it.

Edit: I'll take a pass on Helldorado. Pritchett Canyon and Fins and Things next year though, both on the list.

Last edited by opdsgt; 11-14-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Great!

Then we can run Prichett Canyon together! (without lockers)

Escalator...

Potatoe Salad Hill

Wipe Out Hill

The Golden Crack

All rated difficult obstacles, without lockers....
Old 11-14-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Junkie

Nice pics, but those who have wheeled rocks know how sticky those rocks really are for traction. Looks like stuff that just takes the right line. It's the loose stuff you gotta worry about and the vertical walls.

Such as where my rear tires are in this, is very loose dirt. Locked does it with ease from all the front grip off the rock. Opens can't hardly get to that point, let alone all the way up. I've seen one open diff JK do a kamikazee (hard throttle, breakage is not a concern) run at it and do it however..

Just my opinion, your Jeep looks good and I'd love to run those same trails some day!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

scoot, you have guts and you obviously know a good line on several of those obstacles.

I'd wheel with you anytime.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Default When do I use My lockers

ARB front and Rear on my 2 dr Sahara. I used my lockers the most when I was trying to keep up with SCOOTRRYDR!!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Low speed, low traction.

Quick Reply: When do you use lockers?