Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Automatic rubicon, any regrets?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic rubicon, any regrets?

i can't decide whether to get an auto or manual rubi.

I have only driven a manual jeep and feel that it is what should be in it.

I have a few manual transmission cars and a few autos in my day and I like both, but sometimes the manual will irritate me when in stop and go traffic, I'm in a really bad mood/stressed out etc.

Anyways, has anyone bought an auto rubi or any Jk for that matter with automatic and has regretted it from day one?

I can't decide...I'm going to the dealership today to test an auto and manual
Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the auto rubi, not a single regret!! I actually love it and going off road with an auto is much preferred i'n my opinion.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenenvey
I have the auto rubi, not a single regret!! I actually love it and going off road with an auto is much preferred i'n my opinion.
I forgot to mention I owned a manual rubi as well so I can say this from my own experience.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sn0w kr4wl3r
i can't decide whether to get an auto or manual rubi.

I have only driven a manual jeep and feel that it is what should be in it.

I have a few manual transmission cars and a few autos in my day and I like both, but sometimes the manual will irritate me when in stop and go traffic, I'm in a really bad mood/stressed out etc.

Anyways, has anyone bought an auto rubi or any Jk for that matter with automatic and has regretted it from day one?

I can't decide...I'm going to the dealership today to test an auto and manual
No regrets with an AUTO

If I had a sports car, I think I'd prefer a stick... However, the new German sports cars are using F1 style transmissions
Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Hmmmmm I can't decide
I just got back from a test drive of an '11 white unlimited rubi.

It had stick. No autos on the lot to try, not even a sport.

Hmmmmmm?

Next I can't decide between white or cherry red!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I will be the one to express the opposite view. This is my 3rd Jeep, 1st auto. I miss the manual terribly. I got the auto because that was all I could find on the lots and I was in a time crunch to get out of my previous car so couldn't special order. I miss the control I had with the stick and the durability. I haven't had any problems with the tranny yet, but I expect them. Chrysler autos are not the most rugged. I also miss having the ability to change the tranny fluid myself. Can't do that with an auto, as you have to flush it to get all of the old fluid out. The manual just requires you to pull drain and fill plugs.

Also, the most annoying "feature" of the auto...the lower gearing. You will be paying to regear with an auto if you go up in tire size at all, where the manual is good up to 35's with stock gearing. With my stock (for now) 32's on the Rubi, the tranny is downshifting everytime I hit a mild hill on the freeway if I want to hold my speed...I had stock gears on my previous manual JK with 35's and it could hold speed on the hills in 6th.

Last edited by Paul R; 03-03-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Before I bought my 2010 JKU Rubicon, I test drove an auto and a 6 speed. The 6 speed did seem to have a little more "pep" to it, but the auto was so much more convenient.

But then I started to think about wheeling....With an auto you do not have to worry about water crossings and deep mud.

I went with the auto and I am so glad I did!

Last edited by GaMtnJk; 03-03-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with Paul R. on the power issue. You loose several horse power with the auto transmission therefore it doesn't feel as fast or as strong pulling as the manual. I disagree with Paul R. on not being able to change the fluid yourself. No one ever flushes (shops included) the fluid to get it all out. What is typically left is just in the torque converter. Unless you're having problems with the tranny there is no need to flush it.

I now have an auto Rubicon. I had a Wrangler sport with the stick prior. I do miss shifting and the control to a certain degree. However, I went rock crawling with both of them and frankly I'll take the auto any day. Not to mention driving it in daily rush hour traffic. The stick gets old. Just my 2 centavos
Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Off road I love the auto, however on the highway its pretty sluggish. I'm running the stock 32's right now and I think it's under geared so I'm figuring in a gear swap with any increase in tire size.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

When I upgraded from a manual TJ to the JK I was going back and forth as well about manual vs. auto. Went with the auto so the wife could drive it if she wanted (or needed to ) Wasn't sure I would like it, but it has far surpassed my expectations. True, 5.13's are needed, and next on my mod list, but having had manual transmissions in most of the cars I've had in my life, as I get older I appreciate the auto in the daily driver.

Quick Reply: Automatic rubicon, any regrets?