Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

chinese snorkel anyone ?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danmojo82
If you look for it you can find the lab results where the compared the 2 of them, and the Chinese one is made out of lower quality materials. It'll probably last long enough but it might not be something you really want to push to the limit (like having it be sub-freezing tempatures and hit it with something).
Hold quite good running 160km/h here in winter with sub-freezing temperatures... It's sturdy just like the AEV. We're wheeling in the woods here a lot, i've got scratches everywhere, the Sahara-Fenders look like .

I think you can't destroy it in normal use. Tree branches included. You're not driving 80mph in the woods, do you?

Running a snorkel in sub-freezing temperatures is a different story. When it's cold, nearly every material will fail. Furthermore the windshield will fail earlier than this cheap chinese plastic tube... I can't imagine what i have to hit to destroy the snorkel nor a scenario, sorry...

But when youre paying $250 shipped versus $800 shipped, its hard not to go the cheaper way. I just hope it doesnt fail on you when you need it.
That's the point
Old 03-24-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Dont get me wrong here, i wasnt bashing on you in anyway, or saying that it wont hold up. The point i was making, is that in the study they stated that it was a lower quality material. Im not too savy when it comes to plastics and resin and polymer or the difference in any of them. But its one of those things that it'll probably work as good and last almost as long. I cant say one way or the other just like im sure you cant right now. Only time will tell.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dont get me wrong here, i wasnt bashing on you in anyway, or saying that it wont hold up.
neither do I, just wanted to tell my "chinese story"

I will report when i get problems (fading, broken or similar)
Old 03-24-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bazillus
Hold quite good running 160km/h here in winter with sub-freezing temperatures... It's sturdy just like the AEV. We're wheeling in the woods here a lot, i've got scratches everywhere, the Sahara-Fenders look like .

I think you can't destroy it in normal use. Tree branches included. You're not driving 80mph in the woods, do you?

Running a snorkel in sub-freezing temperatures is a different story. When it's cold, nearly every material will fail. Furthermore the windshield will fail earlier than this cheap chinese plastic tube... I can't imagine what i have to hit to destroy the snorkel nor a scenario, sorry...

That's the point
Honestly, if it breaks then buy another Chinese knockoff. It will still be under the 800 you would have paid for the AEV. I understand that buying a Chinese knockoff rather than from an American company isn't right, but I ALSO understand that times are extremely tough for people with a modding addiction especially with the economy the way it is. If you can get it for 70% lower of the price then go for it. Maybe the OP will buy another AEV product down the road?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by bazillus
Just like the AEV... the small diesel-engine
My quip wasn't about the snorkel (I have an AEV, but the huge price differential in Europe might swing me to the knock-off as well). Rather, my remark was about the big CRD emblazoned on that one photo.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

where do you find this Chinese snorkel you speak of?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Oh, that hurts. You're just rubbing it in, huh?
agreed lol
Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dralphy
Honestly, if it breaks then buy another Chinese knockoff. It will still be under the 800 you would have paid for the AEV. I understand that buying a Chinese knockoff rather than from an American company isn't right, but I ALSO understand that times are extremely tough for people with a modding addiction especially with the economy the way it is. If you can get it for 70% lower of the price then go for it. Maybe the OP will buy another AEV product down the road?
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I refuse to slap a Chinese p.o.s. part on my $20,000+ investment that is also my daily driver. I bought my jeep to not only rely on to get me to wherever I need to go, but also to mod it up. The snorkel (in my view) is not mission critical like a lift or tire carrier is. So why not just bide your time and save up for a QUALITY piece?

If it breaks buy another? That logic (pt lack thereof) makes absolutely no sense at all. So how many do you plan to keep buying and breaking? Like I said before, buy once and cry only once. I still fail to see the intelligence in buying something you KNOW will fail due to cheaper quality.

Also there is more pride in working a little bit harder or longer in order to earn a quality product versus a chinese knock off.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepApex
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I refuse to slap a Chinese p.o.s. part on my $20,000+ investment that is also my daily driver. I bought my jeep to not only rely on to get me to wherever I need to go, but also to mod it up. The snorkel (in my view) is not mission critical like a lift or tire carrier is. So why not just bide your time and save up for a QUALITY piece?
20,000$ nice.. I paid 37,000€ for my Wrangler. And this is quite cheap here in Europe

Quality, quality, quality... Have you seen the shitty chinese snorkel in person? Have you seen the AEV snorkel in person? If there were no AEV-logo or the "Wrangler JK"-lettering, well, you would be standing in front of the Jeep like .
The AEV has a rougher structure than the chinese one, and it's a little bit grayer. The chinese has a little thicker tube, is made of some sort of foam. This is what i can tell you. I'm no expert, i'm just a fellow jeeper from oversea. Oh, and i have a diesel-engine in my american "car" This statement is just wrong for a lot of people...

hXXp://rv4x4.net/cn/ is the manufacture of the cheap one, they are not an simple knock-off, they are selling their products only to a different market, not the USA
They are driving over there snorkel with an Cherokee and advertising it that way. They are fabbing a lot of snorkels for Toyos, Nissans and other brands. What's wrong with that company fabbing a snorkel looking similar to the AEV one?
They aren't advertising that their product is better or something, it isn't build for the american market

I haven't got the tools to fab an own snorkel, so i just bought the much cheaper one.
eBay made it possible for me... just like for a few other people...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

hi,
i have the chenes one for 7 since september 2010 and it s still like new and i am very happy with it ..

Last edited by sahara-07; 03-24-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: chinese snorkel anyone ?