Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Yep, that looks sharp. I can't decide which light style I like but the grille looks good
Thank you! I can't decide either. I probably won't decide until I mold the first grille and install it on my Jeep, then I can mock up each type and see what I like best (and what everyone else likes too, I'll post the choices to get everyone's input).
Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

The JL Grille for the JK mold master is just about finished. Still have to put a nice finish on it before I make the mold, but here's what the master looks like now. The face and the factory grille base are now joined together; I also put bottoms on the headlight buckets to make the mold easier to make.

What's next is fixing a few very minor imperfections, then perfecting the surface with high-build primer, then I'll put a gloss finish on it so the mold has a gloss surface.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

I've got a meeting with one of the big Jeep catalog companies tomorrow and I plan to show them the Overhead Molle panel so today I outfitted it with a sampling of gear... a 2-gallon Rotopax, a couple of Molle pouches and a folding shovel. Stowed, everything disappears...

The following users liked this post:
FarFromStock (03-23-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jscherb
I've got a meeting with one of the big Jeep catalog companies tomorrow and I plan to show them the Overhead Molle panel so today I outfitted it with a sampling of gear... a 2-gallon Rotopax, a couple of Molle pouches and a folding shovel. Stowed, everything disappears...

Dang! Nice! I need to go back through this thread and see what else you've been working on. I only saw the Safari Top and the new grill. Wasn't aware you had some other stuff in development too. Is that a normal hard top that it tucks up into, or is that your Safari Top? I'd totally buy this! Space is definitely at a premium when I load the family up for a weekend of camping. This thing would come in so handy. Great ideas you've come up with!

So do we have to wait for some manufacturer to pick up your design, or are we able to get our hands on any of these products from you? Sorry if this was already covered. This thread is quite long. Will find time to get through it eventually.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smittycm
Dang! Nice! I need to go back through this thread and see what else you've been working on. I only saw the Safari Top and the new grill. Wasn't aware you had some other stuff in development too. Is that a normal hard top that it tucks up into, or is that your Safari Top? I'd totally buy this! Space is definitely at a premium when I load the family up for a weekend of camping. This thing would come in so handy. Great ideas you've come up with!
Thank you. So far I really like having the Overhead Molle panel in the Jeep - I can store things out of sight and out of mind and it doesn't take any space I'd need for anything else so it's like free storage. I liked it so much in the JKU I made a second one for my LJ.

The photos I've posted show the Overhead Molle Panel in my JKU Safari Cab hardtop but it does work just fine with the factory hardtop. It also works with the factory soft top, and it works with no top at all because it attaches completely to the sport bars.

I've also got other new ideas and designs I'm working on, some I've posted about in this thread and some I haven't posted about yet. Some are fiberglass projects, some are metal fab projects and some are sewing projects.

Originally Posted by smittycm
So do we have to wait for some manufacturer to pick up your design, or are we able to get our hands on any of these products from you? Sorry if this was already covered. This thread is quite long. Will find time to get through it eventually.
I just design this stuff as a hobby and build prototypes for my own use. I'm not in business and generally I don't sell anything although once in a while I'll part with a prototype I don't need anymore.

To date about 3 dozen of my designs have been picked up by 5 different companies so many things I've designed are already available. More to come. Based on the reaction I got yesterday from a company I showed the Overhead Molle panel to it seems likely that it will end up on the market.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

The JL Grille for the JK mold master is just about finished. Still have to put a nice finish on it before I make the mold, but here's what the master looks like now. The face and the factory grille base are now joined together; I also put bottoms on the headlight buckets to make the mold easier to make.

What's next is fixing a few very minor imperfections, then perfecting the surface with high-build primer, then I'll put a gloss finish on it so the mold has a gloss surface.
I have to say it again, this looks AMAZING.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I have to say it again, this looks AMAZING.
Thank you very much! Since this is the front grille and highly visible and noticeable, it doesn't make sense to do a hack job on it so I've got to make it factory quality .
Old 03-23-2018, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really looking forward to seeing this come to market. So many possibilities for much needed storage space.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FarFromStock
I'm really looking forward to seeing this come to market. So many possibilities for much needed storage space.
Thanks.

Based on the reaction to it at the meetings I had, plus the reactions from the several places I posted it, it seems likely that a company will be picking up the design and bringing it to market.

I'm on the way to Easter Jeep Safari right now in my LJ and I've got one in that Jeep, it's loaded with gear. I'll be giving it a week-long trail test.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Just arrived Moab for Easter Jeep Safari in the LJ, here's what I've got on the overhead panel. I was glad the shovel was so handy because I needed it - I decided to go overland from Colorado to Moab on the Gateway-Castle Rock trail and ran into a bit too much snow at 8400 ft. elevation. Got stuck, had to shovel out in front of the tires and the shovel was very quick to access .

The black 2 1/2 gallon Rubican is for water, if you look closely you can see it's got a spigot in it. So stopping on the trail for a break or lunch, I can just swing down the panel and water is ready to dispense.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop