Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 02-12-2015, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

The hatch installed in a Safari Cab driver's side panel, in both hinge-up and hinge-down orientations:

Old 02-13-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I made a mockup storage compartment in cardboard. The compartment extends wider than the hatch opening, and below the hatch opening, so there's a pretty good amount of room in there. Inside I've got a gallon can and a 2-liter bottle, and on the back wall I mounted a Molle water bottle pouch. I'm working on other ideas, like shelves, a Molle grid and a cargo net, not sure what would be best in there yet.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I like hiking with my dogs, I can see their water (that 1 gallon jug ) leashes, support gear in there.
Also makes a great cooking table for that camp stove , coffee, grilling.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
A few weeks ago I posted some photos of "Gullwing Doors" (as they're known in the Land Rover world) with cargo compartments to replace hardtop windows : I've done a little design work on the idea to see how much room would really be available in the JKU, given that the roll bar gets in the way. A JKU cargo compartment would look something like this: You can see there's an accommodation for the roll bar, but there's still almost 4" of depth at the bottom of the compartment between the door and the roll bar cavity, so there's still a pretty good amount of room inside. The overall depth other than at the roll bar cavity is about 7", which brings it to the inside edge of the roll bar inside the Jeep. There would also have to be a small accommodation for the mount for the rear seat belt, that's not shown in this drawing. The door could have a mount for a Rotopax container on the outside, or perhaps some other piece of trail gear. The back of the compartment would probably have some sort of grid system, so you could use something like QuickFist mounts to secure trail gear, or perhaps even mount some shelves or baskets inside to organize cargo. Or maybe a Molle grid would be a good idea. The compartment is a bit larger than the hatch opening for maximum interior space. The dimensions in this drawing are rough dimensions, to be refined as the design progresses. An animated view... Someone also suggested installing the hatch the other way so it swings down and functions as a table, and they suggested installing a light, which is a good idea whichever way the hatch is installed.
I would definitely buy this for my two door as it would allow more storage space and the roll bar wouldnt interfere with the box area. Great idea!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I assembled the Safari Cab side and end panels in the workshop to play with the various window options.

First shot is the fixed window with the kick-out vent.

The crank-out window:

Cranked open:

The slider:

Slider open:

Old 02-13-2015, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Cargo hatch:

Inside the cargo hatch is a mockup of a storage compartment.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

When will these "Objects of Desire " be available ? At what cost, would you estimate ? Roughly speaking.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
When will these "Objects of Desire " be available ? At what cost, would you estimate ? Roughly speaking.
I've done a lot of things in this thread, what specifically are you asking about?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

The 4 Season modular hard top; removeable sides . The opening windows that fit oem hardtop .Everything on the Menu, actually . A production timeframe, price list is undoubtedly a premature request, but it all looks so good, I can't resist asking . Talk about nose pressed to the Window !
Old 02-14-2015, 03:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
The 4 Season modular hard top; removeable sides . The opening windows that fit oem hardtop .Everything on the Menu, actually . A production timeframe, price list is undoubtedly a premature request, but it all looks so good, I can't resist asking . Talk about nose pressed to the Window !
As I've been working on the window options and the cargo hatch/compartment, I'm wondering why nobody's done this before. The JK has been out there for almost 9 years now, if these were such good ideas, wouldn't someone have done them already? It's not like nobody's ever thought of stuff like this, I've seen posts in various threads over the years where people were wishing they could have opening windows in their hardtop, so you'd think some company would have noticed and if the idea had merit, there should be products on the market already. Does this mean there's no market for any of this?

I'm not in business to sell anything, so if any of the stuff in this thread is going to come to market someone/some company is going to have to decide that these ideas are worth turning into products and sign up to do that.

That definitely could happen - almost a dozen of my Jeep product designs have been licensed by companies over the past few years, including my LJ/TJ Safari Cab hardtop, my fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit and my fiberglass military replica trailer kit; my TJ Exogate large spare carrier, my JK heavy-duty tailgate hinges, spare-mount jerry can carrier, hinge mount Hi-Lift carrier, my TJ side-mount jerry can carrier and more.

Several companies have contacted me about the JK Safari Cab, the barn door, the window options and the cargo hatch, but it's too early to know if those contacts will turn into anything.

The windows are fairly easy to turn into products; I've got several window companies that are interested in making windows in the right size for the JK, and one of the companies also told me they'd be interested in making the retrofit kit I've designed so the windows can be mounted on the curved surface of the JK hardtop. The investment and commitment someone would had to be willing to make to offer them as products would be fairly small. So why hasn't anyone done it yet? Is it because there isn't be a market for opening windows?

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop